2000 AEV TraumaHawk on a Freightliner FL-60 conversion

Britboaters

Observer
Fridge

Fantastic progress !
I like your idea on the fridge/freezer. Not wishing to "rain on your parade" but I had the impression that normal household fridges need to be kept level to work properly, and the RV units have a different compressor/evaporator system for this reason.
Does anybody know for sure please ?
Bob

pennersm

Observer
I've previously had a dorm fridge running in my van for years and never had any issues. I think if I was off roading or something it might be an issue, but I never had an issue on the open road.

There are a lot of guys on here that I am sure have TONS more knowledge and experience than I have that can weigh in!!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Not wishing to "rain on your parade" but I had the impression that normal household fridges need to be kept level to work properly, and the RV units have a different compressor/evaporator system for this reason.
Does anybody know for sure please ?
Bob

RV fridges commonly run on propane and use an ammonia absorption system (no compressor, the fluid is circulated by heat from the propane burner). These need to be pretty close to level or they have problems.

Home fridges use a freon compressor system which has no problems being off level. Some home fridges have drain pans to evaporate water collected by auto defrost, and being off level can cause them to drain onto the floor.

pennersm

Observer
Thanks Nomad. Its been a fun project so far. I just can't wait for it to start getting some use, instead of being a drive way ornament!!

pennersm

Observer
Bed solution

So I had been trying to decide what I wanted to do for a bed. I wanted a full size mattress, but didn't want to lose the storage under the bench, or the seat belts in the back. After running through a bunch of ideas and sketches, I finally decided how I was going to do it. I started by cutting notches out of the plywood to go around the seat belt brackets.

amb49.jpg

Then I attached the bottom piece with piano hinges.

amb50.jpg
amb51.jpg

I then angle cut some 2x6s and 2x4s to build the back rest/bed feet.

amb53.JPG

My thought was cutting the 2x6s at an angle provides more comfortable sitting instead of being 90*. Also, when folded out into a bed, that provides all the support to the outside edge.

amb54.JPG
amb55.JPG

I attached them with hinges so I can fold them down and be able to lift up to access the under bench storage.

amb56.JPG

Next I need to make some swing out supports and then get the mattress installed.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I then angle cut some 2x6s and 2x4s to build the back rest/bed feet....

...next I need to make some swing out supports and then get the mattress installed.
So the back rest when everything unfolded becomes the legs? Did you account for width of foam in this? Look forward to completed info.

pennersm

Observer
Yes, the back rest becomes legs. I will try to get pics of it open this weekend. I am going to try to get some work done on the swing out supports and I will try to capture it when complete. I did account for the foam, whether it works out like I calculated is yet to be seen haha.

pennersm

Observer
image1.jpeg
Here is a pic of it opened up, showing how the backrest supports the bed. Also pics of the swing out supports that will be on hinges.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Last edited:

pennersm

Observer
I haven't posted lately, but I have managed to get some work done. I painted the bedframe and got the mattress cut. Seat covers are being sewn now. I will post pics once I get them back in and get the rig cleaned up.
amb61.jpeg
amb62.jpeg

I also replaced all the cabinet lights with LEDs as well.
amb65.jpeg
amb66.jpeg

I installed a separate radio in the back, as well as a digital battery gauge and USB chargers.
amb63.jpeg

I finished the install of the window unit air conditioner, works great!
amb64.jpeg

Finally, I changed out the florescent lights for LEDs as well. I also changed what used to be the "high beam" lights to and ice blue LED just because.
amb67.jpeg
amb68.jpeg

Now if I can get a day off when it is not pouring down rain, I will work on installing the back up camera and monitor.

scooter421

Adventurer
Looking good!

I was wondering what happened to you. After seeing the amount of progress, now I know!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

pennersm

Observer
I'm confused. Interior bottom cabinet right? Do you just leave the door hanging open when AC in use. or is that an exterior cabinet??? which would make no since.
Correct, it is the interior bottom cabinet, and yes, the door will remain open when using the AC. I isolated that 2/3 of the cabinet that has the AC in it, and cut through the bottom of the truck for the heat exhaust from the AC to go outside. Hopefully that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles