Turnbuckle versus springloaded tiedown for popup bed mount

lindy74

I'm at the point of purchasing a tie down system to the inside of my bed for my camper. I've read back and forth on which is better between spring loaded tie-downs and straight turnbuckles. Does anyone have a recommendation on which would be better? I won't be doing any crazy offroading, dirt roads at the max. truck flexing won't be an issue for me and where I'm taking it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm rebuilding a 1979 FWC Grandby. I built it with tiedown eye's out on the wings as most truck campers are built. I already had the Happijac mounting system on my truck, and also the Fastgun spring loaded tiedowns. Truck beds flex, and you don't have to go offroad for them to flex. It's my personal opinion that it's best to go spring loaded. I often see reports of standard turnbuckes breaking or falling off FWC's. Too much stress, they break, or an opposite corner slips off. I also unload my camper 99% time for easy access. No ladders for my wife who has MS. I should add that you need a rubber mat between the camper and the bed, or some other nonslip material such as the bed liner spray or roll on's.

lindy74

Yeah, I ended up purchasing a horse stall mat for underneath, and will rethink the springloaded system. My local shop has 4 happijac fronts that would fit perfectly.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94