Transporting Diesel in Jerry Cans Under Truck Canopy?

Vector1

Yes, spills while filling/emptying will be the biggest issue. I just don't want my gear smelling like a log truck from the fumes for the next 6 months. I'm still pondering a transfer tank in an open bed, but there are major issues off road there as well, not to mention storing gear. It sounds like, from these responses, that vapors in the canopy wouldn't be an issue assuming good cans and tie-downs. Good. Thanks!

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
I use surplus NATO cans (not jerry cans)... they are getting a bit harder to find due to some of the new regulations, etc. but someone mentioned WEDCO earlier... those are very good cans also.

MOguy

Explorer
Good info, everyone. I'm not concerned about combustible vapors, like with gas, but more about the diesel smell getting on and in everything I own inside the canopy. Spilling could be avoided, but what about just the fumes? It does sound like plenty of folks do it already without a lot of issues and a truck canopy would make my travels a lot simpler, if I can solve the fuel problem. My new Ram 2500 has a 28 gal tank (???)--problematic where I hunt and fish. Thanks again for the responses.

I have been using Scepter MFCs since the 90s. First in the Army and now as a civilian. I have had them inside the cab, in the bed, hanging off the outside, kicked and drug around. They will not leak fuel or fumes if the are in good shape. There are other good cans out there. If you get a good fuel can you will be fine. If you spill fuel on them while using them there can be fume issues. Get a good spout. I also refill at the end of the day. If I spill a little while refilling they can air out overnight. In the morning a little soap and water will help to clean up any residue.

Even if you mount a fuel tank in the bed there can be spill and fume issues and that maybe harder to clean up then just airing out and wiping down a fuel can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles