Transporting Diesel in Jerry Cans Under Truck Canopy?

Vector1

Help. I'm contemplating buying a canopy for my Ram PU. Would carrying 3 to 5, 5-gal cans (assuming new cans with good seals) of diesel inside the canopy be a bad play? Would a roof-rack on the canopy be a reasonable alternative? Transporting 10-20 gal of diesel off pavement without an open bed is looking more and more like an expensive hassle.

chet6.7

Explorer
I would use the bed with a properly secured load before I would use a roof rack.If it was something I would usually carry I would look into a tank,for example Titan tanks makes a sidekick tank,a spare tire tank, among other types.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Diesel is pretty stable I wouldnt worry about it lashed down in the bed under the cap. Though it will make a mess if you spring a leak. So good cans lashed down solid is fine.

Gas on the other hand creates highly flamable vapor I wouldnt ever do a under cap gas can.

Hummelator

Adventurer
When camping, I usually carry 4 jerrys in the bed of my truck. I do have a canopy as well and I just strap the jerrys down and make sure the venting valves are closed. Havent had any issues.

hemifoot

Observer
I have a front mounted hitch carrier I use for Jerry cans,firewood or spare propane tanks.not sure if it's legal but I've been doing it for several years now.

quickfarms

Adventurer
If you are concerned about it get a cap with windows that open and leave them open.

The only thing I would not do is open the sliding window in the back of the cab

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I have a 5 gal walmart jerry can of diesel in he bed of my ruck 24/7, I have yet to see any leakage or smell fumes. the yellow one is diesel, blue water.

IMG_09622.JPG

azul_brute.JPG

Vector1

Good info, everyone. I'm not concerned about combustible vapors, like with gas, but more about the diesel smell getting on and in everything I own inside the canopy. Spilling could be avoided, but what about just the fumes? It does sound like plenty of folks do it already without a lot of issues and a truck canopy would make my travels a lot simpler, if I can solve the fuel problem. My new Ram 2500 has a 28 gal tank (???)--problematic where I hunt and fish. Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I haul 15 gallons of gasoline in my shell on my truck to take to the lake for the boat and it never gets to be a smell issue. I do crack one of the side windows on the shell.

old .45

Observer
I haul 15 gallons of gasoline in my shell on my truck to take to the lake for the boat and it never gets to be a smell issue. I do crack one of the side windows on the shell.
I have carried 1or several NATO style gas cans in the bed (WEDCO brand) many, many miles in desert conditions under my canopy and never had any and I mean any problems. I bolted down the correct holders to secure the cans at the back of the bed on the side(s).

Brewongle-dongle

YMMV but a friend who has been a few desert trips said to make the load bed more practical by loading 5 jerrys of diesel down low in the cargo bed, sideways, laid over. Flat. Then you can stack stuff on them and they fit snug as in the bed. *

As the vehicle was a daily driver I did a test for 6 weeks around town. I put jerrys in the bed laid sideways and periodically checked to see if they were leaking. They got dusty but not leaky. They are ProQuip brand. Here is a link to the wrong version but its just a different color to the diesel version. http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/zooms/118910-zoom.jpg

Result. No leaks. So I went on a trip with 5 jerrys as a "second floor" without any issue on a 4000km outback shakedown trip. We had just reconditioned our 1990 Land Rover. We had other issues but not with the jerrys. The jerrys were newish (2015) and had a layer of neoprene floor mats aka camping mats above and below the jerrys.

*Your account has been automatically debited the 2c charge for this advice.

rayra

Expedition Leader
... and it's about how much you spill on the outside of the container before you store it in there, more than anything. Provided you have good containers that seal properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke