Help modifying charger for CAT work light

Superduty

Adventurer
I picked up this CAT work/utility light from Costco ($29). It comes with a charger that you plug into 110v. I would like the ability to also charge it from a 12v cigarrette lighter. I am confident one of the resident Expedition Portal electrical geniuses will steer me in the correct direction. There is a USB on the light, but that is output only (based on everything I have read).

Thanks for your assistance.

u5JVGFdl.jpg

8xbECnol.jpg

Where the charger plugs in.

YRuBXjFl.jpg

The charger

8uG7J8hl.jpg

Charger specs

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The output is DC. That's a plus. Center positive, outer negative.

4.2v is close enough to USB's 5v (which is often somewhat less than 5v) that you should be able to use a 12v-5v USB cig plug adapter.

You'll have to cobble together something. Maybe cut the wire off the AC charger and solder it to the guts of the 12v USB adapter. Or make a cable that is USB on one end and round on the other. Either way, don't get the polarity backwards! Ever! Might insta-toast something in the light.

Bonus; if you use a USB adapter that can do 2a instead of the 1a the charger does, it'll probably charge the light twice as fast.

Superduty

Adventurer
The plug into the light doesn't look propietary. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar type plugs. Do you agree? If so, I will try and find one to use, so I can keep the original charger intact. Or I suppose I could use a 2 way connector and then switch the end from the car adapter to 110v adapter.

Thanks for the info.

Superduty

Adventurer
The output is DC. That's a plus. Center positive, outer negative.

4.2v is close enough to USB's 5v (which is often somewhat less than 5v) that you should be able to use a 12v-5v USB cig plug adapter.

There won't be any issues charging at 5v if the battery in the light is set up for 4.2v, as indicated by the AC adapter?

chet6.7

Explorer
I passed on that light the other day because it did not charge from the USB.How would you describe the light output,it it bright enough,decent color ect.
I will follow your progress in getting it to charge from USB.Thanks.

Superduty

Adventurer
I passed on that light the other day because it did not charge from the USB.How would you describe the light output,it it bright enough,decent color ect.
I will follow your progress in getting it to charge from USB.Thanks.

I think it is pretty darn bright. I haven't tested to see if it will last 3 hours on high and 6 hours on low, but if it does - then $30 is good value for such a light, imho. I don't recall it going on sale last year when Costco carried it. I have a feeling it will go on sale at some point this time around.

As for the color, I think it could be a little whiter. I know many people don't like the whiteness of LEDs, but I do.

I plan on using it in the garage when I am too lazy to plug in a similar type wired light, or when I am doing something quick. I feel having that much light in a battery powered unit is a nice tool to have.

There is a review over here and they have some pics of the light turned on https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349365&page=3

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, 3.7v. Charged by a higher voltage. Like 4.2v. Or 5v.

Stick a meter in the USB port and see what its voltage is.

Close enough.

chet6.7

Explorer
Superduty,thanks for the information,I will see if they still have them in stock on my next visit.

I picked up a light today,it appears well made and the beam color is OK.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
I picked up this CAT work/utility light from Costco ($29). It comes with a charger that you plug into 110v. I would like the ability to also charge it from a 12v cigarrette lighter. I am confident one of the resident Expedition Portal electrical geniuses will steer me in the correct direction. There is a USB on the light, but that is output only (based on everything I have read).

Thanks for your assistance.

u5JVGFdl.jpg

8xbECnol.jpg

Where the charger plugs in.

YRuBXjFl.jpg

The charger

8uG7J8hl.jpg

Charger specs

What is the status of this mod?
Thanks.

Rando

Explorer
I would be a little careful switching the 4.2V charger to a 5V charger. It will probably be just fine, but the fact that the manufacturer used a much less common and likely more expensive 4.2V adapter over the super standard 5V adapter probably means something. Secondly, 4.2V happens to be the maximum charge voltage for a 3.7V lithium ion battery, which I am sure is what runs this thing. If it really is so poorly engineered that the power supply directly charges the battery, switching it out for a 5V power supply could end badly - it will at least shorten the battery life and maybe lead to a fire.

Superduty

Adventurer
I would be a little careful switching the 4.2V charger to a 5V charger. It will probably be just fine, but the fact that the manufacturer used a much less common and likely more expensive 4.2V adapter over the super standard 5V adapter probably means something. Secondly, 4.2V happens to be the maximum charge voltage for a 3.7V lithium ion battery, which I am sure is what runs this thing. If it really is so poorly engineered that the power supply directly charges the battery, switching it out for a 5V power supply could end badly - it will at least shorten the battery life and maybe lead to a fire.
Rando, take a look at the link in post 7 above. It will show you the inside and circuitry inside the light.

Thanks for your guidance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94