jeep hierarchy

JDaPP

Adventurer
I think the expedition top is a proprietary top by whatever company (there's a thread) with those cute little windows.

If you are talking about the modular top that jscherb made with the barn door. It is the only one. No company makes it and he doesn't sell, he just invents

southpier

Expedition Leader
gulp! yeah, that's the one. double-phooey. I thought it was an aftermarket and struggled to figure why someone would have those windows and then put a rack on so they couldn't be seen.

well, I guess my idea of a nautical hatch skylight might make Expo history if no one else chimes in to say "I already did that".

anyway, I was snooping around the web and found this: https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase

I (think) that Quad is neither the ARB or JC Whitney of the jeep world, and since knowledge is cumulative, I have read a couple of the articles and will continue so I won't bore you all and have to suffer regales of laughter as I humiliate myself with unknowns.

Recon is a package added to Jeep rubicon. Jeep makes wranglers that come in different models . on the lower end are the spot and x mid level are the Sahara and top level is the rubicon. The recon package and the hard rock package are extras that get added to the jeep model but only the rubicon get them . fOr example the recon and the hard rock get leather heated seats, steel bumpers for that are winch ready, Steel bumper in the rear, heavy side steps/ rails and a bunt more. The recon gets what are probably the new JL axels d44 with large c gussets and heavier duty Axel tubes and sits about1/2 inch higher on heavier springs. This means you can likely put on a set of 33's and an winch and be extremely capable to wheel almost any where.

I don't think that you are and the Jeep Brute is a thing of beauty. The other reason is likely price. Th price of an AEV brute is astronomical and would likely be able to compete with the dealers cost. I have only seen one new for sale at dealer and it was 110,000

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
If we're talking Wrangler there's 3 basic models then option packages based on those models:

Sport (Sport based option packages: Sport S, Willys, Big bear)
Sahara (Sahara based option packages: Freedom, Smokey Mountain, Chief, Winter)
Rubicon (Rubicon based option packages: Hard Rock, Recon)

Rubicon based models will have a front D44, all others have a front D30. Rubi models also have front/rear lockers, 4:1 transfer case, numerically higher gears and electronic sway bar discos.

So, IMO, if you're looking for the most capable without major mods, go with a Rubi model.
If you want the most capable, then start with whatever package gives you the options you like and start modding from there.

Our next build will be a 2018 base JK Sport at about 30k price. We'll then add about 20k in lift, steering, axles, gears, lockers, wheels, tires and armor.
So end price will be about the same as a Rubi, but it will be more capable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles