jeep hierarchy

southpier

Expedition Leader
in simple (basic, not complex, easy to understand, numbered lists work well) terms, from the low end to upper crust, could someone please explain the Jeep models? I've tried and there are so many variants i'm considering keeping my van at this point. it really can't be that hard, and yes, I really am this dense! thanks for understanding...

Marine

Adventurer
You and me both, I been looking at keeps also jk jku, rubicon this hard rock that. I second the idea of a break down

southpier

Expedition Leader
but will it go on a safari , to the sahara, or to the rubicon?

and do I want a wrangler scout, xl, xlt, xyz or ....

see why I could use some hepl? (SIC)

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
There are so many different opinions on what constitutes a good Jeep (some folks even include jeep products under the term jeep) I'm not certain that a good hierarchy can be done, especially since options, not including aftermarket mods and tires (just changing tire type, even the amount of tread wear can make a night and day difference off road) make such a performance difference. Driver skill levels and preferences make the situation even murkier especially since there are so many differing types of terrain.
Historically even with in a model there are differing capabilities so that you can have both "good" and "bad" or at least less good on and/or off road performance.

In terms or "Only real Jeep" I know quite a few folks that have had stock flatties (MBs, GPW's, M38s; the original Jeeps) and some stock CJ Jeeps that consider some base model wranglers (especially stock 1987 YJs) inferior.... folks can see that so much is subjective that even what constitutes a Jeep is largely (often uninformed) opinion.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

JDaPP

Adventurer
I think the better way to do this is to tell people what you want to do and then there is a place to start. As you state it I think most are unsure what you even want?

Do you want new or old?
Do you want a traditional type SUV, i.e. metal top all one piece? And if so what size? XS, SM, Smedium or Medium?
New:
XS - Renegade
SM - compass
Smedium- Cherokee
Medium - Grand Cherokee

Do you want a jeep that has the removable top (wrangler)? 2 door (JK) or 4 door (JKU)? What type of capability? Just 4x4, 4x4 + limited slip, 4x4 + lockers? Do you want all factory or do you plan on modifying? Jeep wranglers are big kid legos and all the different choices are mostly just packages the same as buying a bmw (leather seats or cloth, gps or radio only, etc.)

Last edited:

JDaPP

Adventurer
You and me both, I been looking at keeps also jk jku, rubicon this hard rock that. I second the idea of a break down

Sport - Bottom model 4x4 only (unless adding packages)
Sahara - more plush sport (leather, matching fenders, better tires,etc.) usually have a limited slip differential
Rubicon - more off-road suspension (slightly lifted), electronic lockers front and back, sway bar disconnect, M/T tires, rockrails
- Hard rocks, recons, etc. are variants that add rock rails with steps, winch bumpers, etc.

- Willys packages have features of Rubicon without being a Rubicon (lsd instead of lockers, m/t tires, suspension upgrades, same axles as sport,etc.) Most others are just ordering packages with special colors, stickers, etc.

Mitch502

Explorer
Yea, just figure out what options you want... Then pick trim... I consider myself pretty current on jeep stuff, but I don't even look at all the different trims... Like others have said, sport is basic, Sahara is usually a appreance package with some performance upgrades, but nothing too fancy, and rubicon is basically built for most people's versions of off roading from the factory and has some really nice upgrades out of the box...

The rest are variations on these with color variations, sliders, etc out of the box.

southpier

Expedition Leader
these two replies are helpful:

Sport - Bottom model ...
Sahara - more plush sport ...
Rubicon - more off-road suspension ...
Willys packages have features of Rubicon without being a Rubicon...

and:

... tell people what you want to do.... As you state it I think most are unsure what you even want? NO; i'm between this and a savanna box truck, so it's an apples & peaches thing right now.

Do you want new or old? I don't want someones headaches so I always buy new vehicles and resent the payments for 36 months

Do you want a traditional type SUV, i.e. metal top all one piece? And if so what size? XS, SM, Smedium or Medium? I think medium with an aftermarket expedition top & barn door - but please don't ask why ???

New:
XS - Renegade
SM - compass
Smedium- Cherokee
Medium - Grand Cherokee

Do you want a jeep that has the removable top (wrangler)? see above
[COLOR]

2 door (JK) or 4 door (JKU)? don't know

What type of capability? Just 4x4, 4x4 + limited slip, 4x4 + lockers? don't know

Do you want all factory or do you plan on modifying? factory. I can do woodwork, but not mechanics

Jeep wranglers are big kid legos and all the different choices are mostly just packages the same as buying a bmw (leather seats or cloth, gps or radio only, etc.)

i'm really on step A, so when i'm told things which are G,H, & I, it's really not helpful now. it's like going out for dinner and ordering a steak. right now, I am hungry, but don't really don't want to know all the parts of a cow.

JDaPP

Adventurer
If you want expedition top + barn door you want Wrangler = JK (2 door) or JKU (4 door). If you are talking about a "camper top" like like ursa minor they only come on 4 doors.
You have the basics of the Jk/JKU if you can't decide what you are going to use it for then I am not sure how we can give you recommendations. If you are doing highway or fire roads you need nothing more than a sport. If you are going off the beaten path you want a Rubicon or higher.

Not trying to be a ******** but Jeeps have hundreds of decisions on aftermarket in addition to factory options so you are going to have narrow your needs and wants down or your jeep is going to bankrupt you. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

How about this: What do you have now, what do you use it for and does it meet your needs or do you want more?

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
If you want expedition top + barn door you want Wrangler = JK (2 door) or JKU (4 door). If you are talking about a "camper top" like like ursa minor they only come on 4 doors.
You have the basics of the Jk/JKU if you can't decide what you are going to use it for then I am not sure how we can give you recommendations. If you are doing highway or fire roads you need nothing more than a sport. If you are going off the beaten path you want a Rubicon or higher.

Not trying to be a ******** but Jeeps have hundreds of decisions on aftermarket in addition to factory options so you are going to have narrow your needs and wants down or your jeep is going to bankrupt you. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

How about this: What do you have now, what do you use it for and does it meet your needs or do you want more?

I think the expedition top is a proprietary top by whatever company (there's a thread) with those cute little windows.

I did not ask for a recommendation. I asked for a list of jeep models. eventually I will be able to make my own decision.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
in simple (basic, not complex, easy to understand, numbered lists work well) terms, from the low end to upper crust, could someone please explain the Jeep models? I've tried and there are so many variants i'm considering keeping my van at this point. it really can't be that hard, and yes, I really am this dense! thanks for understanding...

Without a clue to what era jeep (I assume jeep product given your, self stated, density) you are talking about the list would be very long (how about a bit of clarity in your request?).
This is produced with a simple Google search for Current jeep models;
https://www.jeep.com/?sid=1037056&K...MIuZHJ2rjA1gIVRbbACh0vSgC6EAAYASAAEgJ3xvD_BwE

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles