Low profile RTT?

I thought about getting an RV. Then a Sprinter... then a pop up trailer. Then I found roof top tents! My
Friend has one made by iKamper. Gave me the tour and I want one!!! Sold! Here is my dilema:
My minivan is 68" tall
My roof rack adds 4"
The iKamper is 12.7"
Total 85"
My garage opening is 83"

Any recommendations for a lower profile rtt?

Thank you!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Sorry - my quick search came up with tent heights (both soft and hard top) which ranged from 12" to 13.5". Obviously only you know "how low can you go" with your rack height.

I don't know if you're single or live with another (who could help you), but maybe you'll just have to get good at putting-it-on and taking-it-off the minivan.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Can't remember who made it but there is one company that makes a hardshell that is 8". That is the slimmest I have seen.

Thanks everyone. We are a family of 4. We have two boys, ages 2 and 5. The iKamper Skycamp is the size of a king. I think it's the perfect size. Except the height! The Tepui sounds short enough. It just might be too small for our needs. I will keep you posted...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I can tell you as a guy with a RTT (flip-pac/habitat) that an ARB with Deluxe room is WAY more practical. spacious and functional!!

you get an awning...and a screen room...and a huge tent with double roof (awning roof and room has a roof as well) and it helps with cooling in summer and keeping warm in the winter..and no pesky climbing up and down with muddy shoes or at 3 am to potty...

they are SUPER nice..and less than most RTT by a long shot...my 2500x2500 with room was right around $500

Drumber

Observer
JB's site lists it as 12" tall, but I also seem to recall it being lower profile. Might be 9" if you store the ladder elsewhere?

Yeah, I recall hearing 9" somewhere. Since it's assisted opening you don't need the ladder to open it, so storing elsewhere is a doable option.

vs_jk

When I was looking for an RTT, I also needed it to be low profile in order to fit it through my garage. I went with the Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series M60 tent. I've been really happy with it and would recommend it.

https://www.gofsr.com/product/adventure-series-m55-roof-top-tent/

Also remember that if you do get in a bind where you need a quarter of an inch of extra clearance, you can let some air out of your tires and get through if absolutely necessary.

towee

Yeah, I recall hearing 9" somewhere. Since it's assisted opening you don't need the ladder to open it, so storing elsewhere is a doable option.

Just measured mine it's 9" without the ladder and the ladder is 3". I store the ladder on top of truckbed drawers it stores big at least 50" long. You aren't sleeping 4 in the horizon vision and don't have an annex option. What the original poster is looking for is going to be a tough find. Best bet may be large rtt on a trailer but may not have the garage space for vehicle and trailer.

Thanks all for the replies. I need to introduce the family to my buddy's rtt and see if they get the bug. I think they will. I was thinking of just parking my van outside the garage and taking the rtt off when the season is over. But what a pain. The ARB tent looks very interesting. Can you explain how it installs/deploys? And its size? And yeah I need room for 2 adults and 2 kiddos...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
how is the season ever over in Vegas? My tent lives on the jeep 24/7/365 and we have similar weather, although you might be 12 degrees hotter or so.

my bigger concern in Vegas would be the multiple parking garages you might negotiate. I've never missed parking in my garage at home, but finding public parking is tough sometimes with a RTT.

Calmont

Our Frontrunner is less than 8", not including the ladder. I think they advertise it as one of the slimmest and lightest RTT available. It is comfortable for 2 adults and 1 child, so it may not be best size for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles