Seriously considering a purchase

Seriously considering a purchase of a 4x4 SM and would love some input into what engines to avoid or what models are good recommendations.

RELIABILITY is a 1st priority

any blogs with info would be great too

thanks and cheers

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Like Chris asked... there are many different variables.. used/new, 2x2, 4x4, gas, diesel, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, SMB, Quigely.. etc.

What are you looking for in particular?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
SOCALFJ said:
Like Chris asked... there are many different variables.. used/new, 2x2, 4x4, gas, diesel, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, SMB, Quigely.. etc.

What are you looking for in particular?
He said he's looking at 4x4 Sportmobile. So that means either a Ford or Chevy base, right? Also means he's probably not considering the Quigley conversion. He's asking about reliability and what to stay away from. My understanding is that the Ford diesel is the most common 4x4 SMB.

FROADER

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
He said he's looking at 4x4 Sportmobile. So that means either a Ford or Chevy base, right? Also means he's probably not considering the Quigley conversion. He's asking about reliability and what to stay away from. My understanding is that the Ford diesel is the most common 4x4 SMB.
So in other words, we still need more info of what he's looking at...
Ford?
RB?
EB?
7.3?
6.0?
6.8?
other options?
Chevy?
etc...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FROADER said:
So in other words, we still need more info of what he's looking at...
Ford?
RB?
EB?
7.3?
6.0?
6.8?
other options?
Chevy?
etc...
Which is the one to look for, then? Obviously there's better choices and less good choices.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I hope Im not highjacking... could someone explain the difference between the Quigly and the SMB? It is not very clear on the website IMOP.

FROADER

Adventurer
ChuckB said:
I hope Im not highjacking... could someone explain the difference between the Quigly and the SMB? It is not very clear on the website IMOP.
SMB = Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 axle, Your choice of Open, Limited Slip, or Locking Differentials, AtlasII t-case, and leaf springs.

Quigley = Ford factory parts (including Superduty d60 axle, BW t-case) with a radius arm/coil set-up.

4WDdiagram.gif

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
To add, Quigley= Very limited suspension travel, suspension isn't easy to modify. SMB= More suspension travel, easier to modify to your specific needs.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
More to add..

Quigley = terrible turning radius. SMB= cross over steering w/way better turning radius.

Also the SMB has quick release sway bar upfront and the Quigely does not.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info. The more I learn about the SMBs, the more I realize how cool these rigs are!!

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a Chevy SMB? I've seen tons of Blue Oval SMBs, but never a Bowtie.

Are they just more limited for the 4x4 conversion process or what?

stclair

Adventurer
Hey-I've been kinda lurking a bit but never post. I'm also considering a Sportsmobile purchase, but have not decided for sure. My wife and I are considering a very long term trek, and something very livable, and reliable would be needed. We currently have a 2003 Disco, but don't think it would meet our needs. My wife would love to have an Earthroamer(who wouldn't), but a well equipped EB van might be a more affordable compromise. Has anyone here "lived" in a Sportsmobile for an extended amount of time? Any suggestions as far as outfitting one for this? Thanks for any info.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Well, the obvious first link to answer that question is Eric and Amy Badger's site. They ived in one for two years up until last fall or something. Great information from them.

www.BadgerTrek.com

I have a certain amount of 2nd experience with Sportsmobile's, (buddy I go Overlanding with all the time hasone: railbat) and have been building my own Mini Me (Astro)Sportsmobile since February. They are excellent vehicles. If my Fiancee and I were doing any real long term trek, it would be my vehicle of choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke