2005 G55 recovery points. What is safe?

Jesse42

I have searched, did not find any good data, so I am posting in hopes that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2005 G55 and I want to be sure I have safe recovery points if I need them. I have a trailer hitch installed and have a shackle setup that inserts into the receiver for a rear facing recovery point. Are there additional locations on a stock G55 that are usable from the rear?

On the front, I need even more help. I have looked, but I do not see any points that I am confident are strong enough. The truck is new to me and has an OEM bull bar and skid plate (looks like chromed skid bars). Is there anything I can pull from that will not risk damaging the front end components?

Thanks,
- Jesse

vectorsc

Adventurer
I didn't find anything up there that looked real safe. Shifted a front runner bumper on mine to ensure the issue was handled.

Also you can usually tie off to the axle tube around the trailing arm mount and work from there. I haven't done that on a G wagen but it works on other solid axle setups well enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vectorsc

Adventurer
I put the front runner on. strange - spell correct changed "installed" to shifted.

It now has recovery points, a winch, and I have landed on that bumper for 3 feet up with no damage.

Newly made FR bumpers DO fit the W463. You have to cut one of the mounting arms at a place they even mark for you, and the mounting hole and nut for the W463 pattern mounts is now welded and drilled.

Jesse42

Thanks vectorsc. I figured spell check had interfered with your message. I have a G55, so I am not sure it is possible to put any of the more durable aftermarket bumpers on. My understanding is that there are too many coolers inside the OEM bumper and no simple way to relocate them.

ILIAN

Adventurer
You do not have 1/2" steel bar bent and welded on the frame on both sides. There should be one sticking out of the front skid plate on the drivers side and one on the rear drivers side just below the bumper. Those are very strong recovery points.

otiswesty

Regular guy
The 1/2" bent steel bar is only on the drivers side on a 2005. Plus the AMG model has that additional polished stainless grille below the front skid plate. there my not be much of a recovery loop projecting beyond that. A good easy option is to take off the polished plate, either when you are going trail riding, or just keep it off until you are ready to sell the truck.

The hitch mounted shackle should work well, plus there is also a steel loop recovery point in the rear as well, below the rear bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles