Datrupr's Mod Thread

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Riding on The New Shoes

Ok, Courtesy of Flyingwil the TRooper received a new set of shoes. Now, I say new in the sense that they are new to me, but they do have a few miles on them, and few left to go.

Anyway, they are Firestone Destination MT's in 265/75r16 size, wich is just what I was looking for. They actually give me a full 1" of additional clearance and look good doing so. I can see why Wil went with a less aggressive tire though, these things are NOISEY!!! Thats ok, as they end their life with me they will be replaced by a less aggressive tire. I also noticed that my turning radius is a bit less and my braking distance is a bit more. My acceleration is slower as is my cornering, but all minor trade off's for a bit more traction and better clearance and much better looks. here are the pics.

Attachments

• New Shoe.JPG
    New Shoe.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 145
  • New Shoes 1.JPG
    New Shoes 1.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 158
  • New Shoes 2.JPG
    New Shoes 2.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 184

Scott Brady

Founder
ooooh, very nice Aaron :clapsmile

I am thinking of doing a little work on my Trooper as well. Maybe try a set of 255/85's on her with some sliders.

I find myself using the Trooper much more on the trail now.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeez Scott, you put the Trooper in action, then semi retire her, then put her back in action, whats up with that? :rolleyes:

Actually, just l.ooking at it now with the new tires it has a much more pronounced stance and it is obvious that it is not at stock ride height any more. Just need that 1.5" OME lift and some sliders and we should be good to go. :D

kevin

Observer
All this talk about sliders has got me interested. What kind of sliders are available for the Trooper? Where can I get them?

Scott Brady

Founder
datrupr said:
Jeez Scott, you put the Trooper in action, then semi retire her, then put her back in action, whats up with that? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. I am just finding a need to have the Trooper more capable off-highway as a transport for more than two occupants. I also tend to run trails when en-route to business meetings and conferences.

Either that, or I need to bite the bullet and get a new ride.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Do not bite the bullet Scott, you know you have a great reliable travel and trail companion that wants to take you where you want to go. I have 106K on the Trooper now and she is still running like a champ with now troubles or worries.

BlueTrooper

Those Firestones look good, Aaron! I may have to add them to my short list of tire selections. They'll probably be a long shot because of the noise factor, though.

You've encountered no rubbing anywhere? You're still running a stock suspension (or close to stock), right?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Roy, I have not come across any rubbing as of yet, but it has not been off pavement yet either. Next week I am going on a run and I will test them out there. I am running a fully stock suspension, so the extra 1" of clearence from the new tires will help out on the trails, and you can really see the difference in ride height. Plus, the wheel wells are a bit more filled up which looks better IMO. I will give a report on rubbing after my trail run this weekend, but I do not think it will be an issue. I also agree, the looks of the more aggressive M/T's is awesome, but I would stay away from them if you can, they are very noisy and a bit floaty on the pavement (probably because I have them filled to high on the psi), but for the price I really can't complain.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
kevin said:
All this talk about sliders has got me interested. What kind of sliders are available for the Trooper? Where can I get them?

Kevin, you can sliders from Independant 4X which carries StinkyFab sliders that are weld on models as well as ShrockWorks. I am looking for bolt on sliders myself, and am having trouble finding anywhere that carries them for the Trooper. I am also thinking of having them custom fabbed so they are the way that I want them and also possibly one offs. :rolleyes:

kevin

Observer
I have been trying to find bolt on sliders as well, no luck so far. I will keep you updated if I find anything. Thanks for the links to the weld on sliders. They will give me so design insight if I decide to build my own.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
datrupr said:
Ok, Courtesy of Flyingwil the TRooper received a new set of shoes. Now, I say new in the sense that they are new to me, but they do have a few miles on them, and few left to go.

Anyway, they are Firestone Destination MT's in 265/75r16 size, wich is just what I was looking for. They actually give me a full 1" of additional clearance and look good doing so. I can see why Wil went with a less aggressive tire though, these things are NOISEY!!! Thats ok, as they end their life with me they will be replaced by a less aggressive tire. I also noticed that my turning radius is a bit less and my braking distance is a bit more. My acceleration is slower as is my cornering, but all minor trade off's for a bit more traction and better clearance and much better looks. here are the pics.

Glad to see they are finally on! Looks good! Yeah, they are loud, but the kick up less rocks, than my Mall Terrians, and the previous GY Wranglers. (I was running flapless with the MT's, and had to put the flaps back on with the GY's) Hope they treat you well!

Enjoy 'em while you got 'em!

Wil

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Wil, thanks again, I am going to be putting them to the test this weekend. I am currently running them at 55psi and they are really floaty on the pavement. What did you run them at on the road?

kevin

Observer
Aaron, 55psi seems very high to me. Your tire pressure will increase when you drive due to heat expansion, pushing your pressure well over 60psi. I have 265/75r16 cooper ST tires on my Trooper, and am currently running 32psi front and rear. Your tire pressure could be different due to the way you load the Trooper, type of sidewalls your tires have, etc. I think that 55psi is most likely to high, creating a contact patch that is mostly on the center of your tread, this affects steering and braking saftey, as well as reduced traction on the trail.
Try playing with different pressures, and consult the tire shop that put them on for a recomended pressure. If you get down on the ground and look at the front of the tire when parked on a flat surface, the outer edges of the tread should be touching the ground, if they are not, they are over inflated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior