Datrupr's Mod Thread

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks Kevin. The tires have a D load rating and I am sure they will withstand much lower pressures. They are also rated for 65psi max. I think I am going to lower them to 45psi and go down from there.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I lowered the pressure to 40psi and the tires are not nearly as floaty. I am thinking of dropping them to 35-37psi and see that goes.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think you are right, at 40psi they are much improved, but still a slight bit floaty, I think 35 might be the right #. I am going to give it a try after work on my drive home.

erin

Explorer
I noticed some floating when switched to BFG Muds, which were also quite a bit taller. Keep driving and you won't notice it anymore. It is a good idea to make sure your contact patch is good and even though. I also noticed slightly more noise at lower pressure , so maybe that works at higher pressure also. Mine seem to be happiest when contact is even across the tread. Hope this helps alittle. :jumping:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I dropped the pressure to 35psi and they are hardly floaty now. I did lose about 1/4" of clearance and my fuel effiency has dropped quite a bit more and the noise has gotten worse, but it does drive better and handle a bit better. I think that is a fair trade off.

erin

Explorer
:)
Yeah, I guess with the mud tread its give and take. I was actually surprised at the BFG's when I put them on, all the tire shops made them sound as if they were unbearable, but I don't think they are bad at all. Anyway, its well worth the improved traction for sure.

I didn't notice a mpg loss, just lack of power and 5th gear till the 4.88's went in, But I seem to get the same mileage no matter what.

Plus, they just look GOOD :Wow1:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, when you get down to it the noise is a factor that one will probably get used to over time, that and I just turn up the volume on the stereo to help drown it out. The loss in fuel mileage is not greatly substantial, but for me it is noticeable. There is a small loss of power, but it is very nominal in the whole scheme of things, I currently am running 235HP to the rear wheels and the loss of power may feel like I am running 230HP, so it is not great by anymeans, and if I have not been driving this thing everyday for the last two years I probably would not even notice. The braking distance is a bit greater but again nothing that is greatly noticable. I do also have to agree that the aggressive look of the M/T's is awesome, and I will find out thier off road prowess tomorrow when I give them a run up in Sedona. I do like the way they look on the Trooper, they make it look like what it was built for, off road driving. :victory:

erin

Explorer
:smilies27

Now I'm jealous as I just found out I have to work tomorrow. Have a good trip and crawl over something good for me.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
BlueTrooper said:
You've encountered no rubbing anywhere? You're still running a stock suspension (or close to stock), right?

After running Broken Arrow on Saturday there was no rubbing what so ever, so that size is a great fit for the stock suspended truck. They also added great traction, as there were a couple of uphill areas that if I were still running street tires I would have spun the wheels a couple of times. That did not happen. These are great tires, and I have to say, the noise factor is not as annoying as it was when I first put them on. I must be getting used to the noise :D

BlueTrooper

Thanks for the update, Aaron!

I'm about to start a mod thread of my own on Jack's forum and will address my tire selection first.

+ d

Adventurer
datrupr said:
...They also added great traction...I must be getting used to the noise :D

Yeah, you'll get used to the noise AND the traction!
and when these wear out you'll be thinkin "hmm those interco's won't be that noisey..."

06photo02.jpg

:elkgrin:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
David, I don't think I want to go quite that noisy. I think it would cost much more to upgrade the stereo and headsets needed for communications amongst the passengers. they would feel like they were riding in a helecopter....LOL.

Roy, you should probably consider the M/T's, I am really liking them, they give the Trooper the look of the very capable 4X4 that it really is and you get used to the noise. My wife has already stopped complaining about the noise. :D

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Aaron-

At the ExPo Rally I noticed you had no CB nor a 2M, do you have one in mind? We all know Scott is in the works for a CB new set up, and I was wondering if you were atching that thread like a hawk?

I know you are in the works for a fire ex. Just what else you got up your sleeve?

Wil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior