waterproof screen house and canopies

cr500taco

Adventurer
I am looking for a screen house or canopy that is waterproof that we can sit under during the rain. Do you guys have any recommendations?

quadforce4

I bought the Kodiak screen house, very similar to springbars

I don't think the clam style shelters are a good choice because the screens do not open and there is only one door. So if you wish to use it as a canopy there will be very little, if any, breeze that comes thru. With that being said the Kodiak/Springbar screenhouse is not a great canopy either because the ceiling is not very high so when you stand in it the area around your head gets kind of hotboxed due to the shape on days with no or little wind. Also, the canopies on each side are not tall enough to stand under, at least for me and I'm 5ft 8in, the canvas will touch my head. I still think they are the better choice if you factor that they don't require guide lines to trip over and should be stronger in the wind. I also wanted to be able to use the screenhouse as a tent and the Kodiak/springbar style works great for that.

I've heard bad stories about the clam style collapsing in a good wind.

A EZup canopy with screen wall attachments may be a good option as well.

Last edited:

jk6661

Observer
Does anyone have experience with the Eureka Northern Breeze screen house?

https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-North...&keywords=eureka+northern+breeze+screen+house

I'm considering this vs. the Clam. The Eureka is a bit harder to set up, although it doesn't seem too hard from looking at the YouTube video. And it checks all of my other boxes: totally waterproof; pretty stable in the wind for a tall tent; four awnings, one with included poles; good headroom; doors front and back for airflow; and can double as a sleeping tent.

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Yup. Love it for all reasons you stated. Roof vent is only easily openable when you are putting it up. I'd buy another.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

jk6661

Observer
Yup. Love it for all reasons you stated. Roof vent is only easily openable when you are putting it up. I'd buy another.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

I assume you're talking about the Eureka? How long does it take to set up, and one or two people?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We've been camping all summer with 3 other couples that all have Clam shelters. They love them. Some of our campouts included winds that were heavy enough to destroy our cheap ez-up type awnings, and the Clams remained intact.
The thing about the Clams to remember is that most of them come with detachable side panels, and only 3 are included in the kit, so if you want to cover over the other 3 sides to make a real tent (as opposed to a screen house) you have to buy the additional set of 3 panels.
We didn't want to do that so we bought the more expensive Clam that has the side panels permanently attached. They roll up out of the way if not needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TMBEN1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Price just dropped on this one, when I bought it was $429.
Ours just arrived from Amazon yesterday and it's in the garage now. We're headed to Albuquerque for the Ballloon fiesta in a week so I'll have a chance to try it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94