Gears

dieck

Adventurer
So did the Expeditions West tacoma ever get the new gears? What ratio? Is performance back? I'm thinking of regearing too. Mileage?

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes :ylsmoke:

5.29 Gears and front ARB locker.

Installed by 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix (I cannot say enough good things about that place. They are the only shop I allow to work on my vehicles)

I would say I am about 80% back to stock on the street. The lower gearing (12% lower than stock) really helped, but the truck is heavy, so added torque would be the only solution. The truck pulls strong on the highway now (better than stock) and rarely needs to downshift. Of course, I cannot drive much faster than 85 with the ratio selected.

But this is not my daily driver, and I wanted mountain road and trail performance, which is what I got. On the trail, the difference is significant, as the truck just creeps down hill in first and has great control over rocks.

I have no regrets in going that low.

What makes this ratio possible is the .705 OD of the automatic transmission, which keeps freeway speeds possible with this low gearing.

lionsbreath

Adventurer
What kind of rpms' are you running @ around 70/75 mph which seems to be the av. sped around here on the 101

Attachments

• WP_000708.jpg
    WP_000708.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1201020.jpg
    P1201020.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 0
  • x9LKGyt.jpg
    x9LKGyt.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • kJFlBq3.jpg
    kJFlBq3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep at Anza PS.jpg
    Jeep at Anza PS.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_wTVcldX.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_wTVcldX.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140811_14_54_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140811_14_54_33_Pro.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
This is a great chart I did before the modification:
5.29.gif

It shows RPM and speed. At 75 the engine is about 2,900 RPM

Attachments

• DSC00343.jpg
    DSC00343.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Ok
Then that means you are only running about 600 more rpms then stock form. not bad but, fuel mpg goes done a bit

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
Yes :ylsmoke:

5.29 Gears and front ARB locker.

Installed by 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix (I cannot say enough good things about that place. They are the only shop I allow to work on my vehicles)

I think your first I have heard that has good to say about 4wheelers supply! I have heard numberous horror stories on that place.

nice to hear some positives! :luxhello:

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
I think your first I have heard that has good to say about 4wheelers supply! I have heard numberous horror stories on that place.

nice to hear some positives! :luxhello:

Is it possible you are thinking of 4 Wheel Parts Whosalers? They have a poor reputation for service.

I have been using 4wheelers Supply (on Washington) for nearly 10 years. They are the valleys oldest, and most respected 4wd shop in Phoenix. They built the Ultimate Taco (Petersons), and several other vehicles of note. They have eight service bays, and they are always full, plus two more bays in the custom fab area.

Other than me, they are the only ones I let work on the vehicles. They also did all of the gear work and custom rear Dynatrac Dana 44 for my Jeep.

Attachments

• 2013-10-02 18.02.28.jpg
    2013-10-02 18.02.28.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 0

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks for clearing that up Scott - I once walked into this place 4 Wheel Parts Whosalers <--- ( nice way to spell it) to buy a couple batteries and walked out - could not imagine having any work done there - :Wow1:

4wheelers Supply (on Washington) I will have to check them out ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Brittan, whom many of you know has also used 4Wheelers Supply for gearing work. He was very pleased. The work was done early, and under quote.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier