Kimberley Karavan trailer

haven

Expedition Leader
Kimberley Kampers, an Australian company that manufactures camping trailers, recently introduced a hard-sided camper designed for overland use.

EA5V0843-retouched-cropped.jpg

The Kimberley Karavan is larger and heavier than the company's other trailer models, so it's best towed by a vehicle like a Land Cruiser or 2006 Tacoma.

EA5V0659-websize_000.jpg

Specs and details here

Kimberley plans to introduce this model to North America next year. Slee is listed as one of their dealers. Maybe we'll see them at SEMA this Fall.

Chip Haven

ps. come join us at www.expeditioncampers.com

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
They however don't seem to have nearly as much open square area as their other products.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am surprised they concentrated on this product, given the very fair to warm weather camping in AU. I like it though.

Having seen the canvas sided unit at Slee's place, the quality is good too. As long as the owner knows the weight/size limitations of a larger trailer, I doubt they will be disappointed.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Chip;
Welcome to EXPO!

The Kimberly Karavan trailer is a very impressive unit. As you know I saw several at the Sydney SuperShow in April. The design is an adaptation (under license) of the HighRise Transcontinental.
However the price is pretty high (50,000 - 65,000AUD about $38,500-$50,000USD). I would be surprised if they sell many in North America at that price, even though I think they are well worth the money. One big draw back is that they only sleep 2 people. Also they have the same problem as most other hardside pop-ups (such as the Alaskan camper cab-over): The interior is exposed to the weather during set-up and take-down. Not fun if you are setting up during a blizzard or thunderstorm. I believe that Kimberly intends to develop a tray back version in the future, but the size and weight will mean that the only vehicles with enough carrying capacity (in North America) would be full size 3/4 and 1 ton long box trucks, and then the camper is too narrow to take full advantage of the vehicle, and would require modification of the vehicle (remove box and add tray/flatbed).

In summary, a great concept, but don't expect to see many over here.

Cheers
Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

pskhaat said:
They however don't seem to have nearly as much open square area as their other products.

Hey..........!

It's OK.......as long as it can help keep the bears out!.....or at least give you some time to grab your shotgun or bear spray!.............:eek: .........:Wow1:

.....Plus!...........anything "Aussie" is .....Kewl..........!.........:ylsmoke:

haven

Expedition Leader
Karavan

Hi, Mark! I've ben lurking here for a while, just got around to posting today.

I agree that the 3000+lb weight of the Kimberley Karavan tray-top (coming to the Australian market in 2007) makes a full size vehicle necessary. I was thinking about a short wheelbase Fuso FG. The FG cab and the Karavan are almost exactly the same width.

Chip Haven

edit: Make that a long wheelbase Fuso. The Karavan trailer model, folded for travel, measures a little longer than 16ft. Figuring that the tray-top unit would be a little shorter (no trailer hitch, of course) that still makes the overall length of the tray-top model a bit more than 14ft.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles