Universal tilting or folding hitch mounted cargo solutions?

TFin04

Adventurer
Ok, basic needs are to carry a 5gal jerry can and some type of trash bag/bin outside of the vehicle but not on the roof. The vehicle is a daily driver and a full blown rear bumper/tire/trasharoo/etc is more than I want to deal with when I just need to open the lift gate to put a stroller in the back.

I have one of the basic hitch mounted cargo racks that you can get from Harbor Freight and it works fine for flat road trips, but it's effectively added 3' to my departure angle if I want to go anywhere off road.

I'm looking at the hitch mounted tire carriers, and maybe just have a friend fab a jerry can rack onto one of those. Can anyone recommend a solution that is an easy part-time option but will hold up to some trail riding? I'd like it to tilt or swing out of the way without too much hassle to open the rear gate.

A source for just the tilt/swing mechanism might be all I need and then have a buddy fab the rest.

Pic for general idea, just delete the tire and add fuel/trash:

knucklebone-main.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
A swing-out would be much better than a tilt, when it comes to dealing with hundredweights (pair of 20L water jugs). Too, with a tilt you'd have to support that weight while you pull the pin. And then lift those weights and re-insert the pin.

There are several swing-away kits that provide the essential parts (trailer axle bits, typically) for a custom build. IF you have a guy thta can build a custom carrier, he should be able to easily handle it.

TFin04

Adventurer
Have you looked at the CBI folding tire mount . The Wilco hitch mounts?

I have seen some pictures of the CBI carrier but don't see anywhere to buy it and their website doesn't play well with my ISP.

The Wilco looks nice, but for about $100 more I could buy a full bumper with tire swing gate built specifically for my vehicle.

I think I've decided to just go the full on fab route and use a quality bolt and pin for the hinge mechanism, and use one of the many commercially available hitch tighteners to keep it from bouncing around in the receiver. I only expect about 60lbs of gear to be on it. I'll post pics here if/when I get it all done.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well just keep in mind that 20L of gas is 32# + weight of the container and water is ~42# + weight of the container.

TFin04

Adventurer
Well just keep in mind that 20L of gas is 32# + weight of the container and water is ~42# + weight of the container.

I don't plan to carry water there. Just 20L fuel and a Trasharoo or similar. I've looked at a few of the swing out kits and that may be a decent option as well. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke