4th Gen 4Runner - Wheel Clearance With Bigger Tires & Chains?

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Purchased my first ever 4Runner over the summer and I'm loving it.

Need to prepare the truck for winter conditions and I happen to have a spare full set of barely used Yokohama Geolandar A/T in 265/70/17 that I know, though they are taller, will fit without rubbing. My question is, can I also run a full set of four 4x4 snow chains over the larger tires without rubbing? The suspension is totally stock original and probably a little tired after 150k miles, plus I mostly drive with it heavy with the rear seats down and fully loaded with my tools. The truck rides noticeably lower than other stock 4th Gens. Can I run the chains without a suspension lift or will I need to stick to the stock 265/65/17 tire size? - Thanks!

oldblue

You can most likely get away with it for the rear axle. A few years back I used that size tire and fit type "s" chains on the rear. I don't think you will be able to fit them on the front. The upper a-arm is very close to the tire. Wheel spacers and some wheel well trimming may be required.

zidaro

Explorer
What kind of KnarKnar roads do you travel where you need 4wheel chainup with stock tires? Just curious.
I live South of you in Mammoth and literally have never put chains on my rigs in 20 years. AT tires, 4wd and air pressure gets me everywhere. Studded tires would do wonders on icy roads.

I have 33's and a ~3" lift on my 08runner. No room for chains in rear unless it is sitting still with no suspension flex. Front would be fine to run chains, but i have aftermarket UCA's and better offset wheels to give clearance.

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
We recently moved up to north eastern Washington, near Idaho. Twice a month I drive back down to California for my business and I have 4 mountain areas on my route where chains are required by law. So I at least need to carry them for the rear axel. Adding the set for the front is just for recreational snow wheeling on the trails up here. I'm on a budget and chains are cheaper than suspension lifts and big wheels. With all the long distance highway driving I do I think it's better to run the truck stock. I do plan on getting a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV winter tires in the stock size to deal with the ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior