Air Bags

astrea

Thinking about putting airbags on all axels, leaving the standard springs in the front, remove the bump stop, remove the tower on to of the spring 😃 , replace with airbag with internal bump stop,the reason for doing this is for a better ride, and maybe 50mm of lift, at the back , remove the helper spring at the back and replace with coil and internal airbag, on the side as I saw something similar on here, my question is has anyone done this and what problems did they have, if any , cheers Rob👍

astrea

Cheers Kerry, I Have trucks with rubber block suspension,not a fan,we are in the waste game [hooklifts ] they ride hard ,we have other trucks with 6 rod and some with airbags,the air bag trucks feel like your driving a car, my plan was to get the canter to ride softer and still have its four wheel drive capability, i was hoping to to turn the front springs in to more like helper springs and ride more on the airbags, the rear the same, just hoping someone has done something similar , cheers Rob

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good luck you fellers. I wanted some airbags for the front of my FG. Nope, they wouldn't sell them to me at the truck show. It was the standard bag set up but they had never installed any on that type of truck. I could have easily made them work but a lawyer has their nose poked in there somewhere.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It's something I've thought about for a while now. Firestone bags are readily available, just takes some work and experimentation. Heck, a friend of mine has a Landcruiser wagon on bags, prior to that he had his FJ40 bagged.

weissbrewer

Observer
Kelderman

I called Kelderman when i got the fg as i love my large Freightliner m2 rvs ride and am going my one ton ram with a full set up of theirs. They make a system that acts as primary pack and your leafs become helpers. They also make full spring replacement systems.price ranges from 1200 to 10k for full set ups. I was politely declined as they are too busy with high volume brands, i.e. Ford, Ram GM and Sprinter. This is the result of Fuso making these trucks red headed step children. They should beef them up to 18k gvw and they would be cooking with fire.
A 10k dot beater would sell to every landscaper out there and out payload all domestic 3/4 tons all day long. Those of us that use trucks in our business don't know anything though! lol

seangrips

I've been running Airbags on all four corners for 14 years on my FG637EW6. Left 3 leaves on the front and the back to keap my axles in place and use the bags for lift. I can control each bag via a joystick with 2 soleniods on to each bag (1 to inflate, 1 to deflate).
I also run 16" singles to soften the ride.

IMG_8765.jpg

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I've been running Airbags on all four corners for 14 years on my FG637EW6. Left 3 leaves on the front and the back to keap my axles in place and use the bags for lift. I can control each bag via a joystick with 2 soleniods on to each bag (1 to inflate, 1 to deflate).
I also run 16" singles to soften the ride.

View attachment 419879

Sounds like it's been working for quite a while. Have you got any detail pics of the bag setup? What compressor are you using? What bags did you go with? How much total lift can you get off of the bump stops?

It sounds very much like a system a friend of mine did on his landcruiser.

astrea

Cheers Sean,that's what I want to do exactly, when you get the time if you can put up what size airbags you put on, a pic of your brackets , I've got a crew cab 07 ,last of the old shape:) , 37'' MT Claws but it rides so frigging hard no one in my family will ride in it,sometimes not a bad thing , cheers again Rob.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I have a 05 FG. I installed a full airbag system on my truck about 6 months ago along with a airlift 3H self-leveling wireless system. Pulled all the springs except the last two leafs front and rear. Right now I have duallys and there's very little room for airbags so I had to put two in the rear which spreads the load over the spring too wide and prevents the spring from articulating enough to get a wide range of lift. I'll be going to Super Single soon and we'll switch to one bigger airbag which I hope will alleviate some of that problem. I only get about 4 to 5 inches of lift because of the spring. The ride is fantastic I love the airbag feel and being able to adjust on the fly.

https://www.airliftperformance.com/product-lines/3h/
8b42523d7fc9609281e2dceb0c77e696.jpg
bbe48519538af220dee308ccfe6b1289.jpg
50bc86accb4babbab966143ed765edf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ebbs

Observer
what's the little actuator like thing just to the left of your shock in the last photo?

EDIT: nm just saw your link and figured out they're your height sensors...

1aquaholic

Adventurer
what's the little actuator like thing just to the left of your shock in the last photo?

EDIT: nm just saw your link and figured out they're your height sensors...
You got it. Both ends with some shielding

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

astrea

Cheers Aqua, thanks for putting up the web site, give me some more ideas to put together :), as my truck sits now I have about 25mm[1in ] from the block on top the spring to the bump stop no sure what standard is,but if I lift up the front of the truck with a forklift I get 65-75mm no worries ,so I'm hopping to get a 6-8in air bag there after removing a few springs, the block on top and the bump stop, the back spring has plenty of room to make up some brackets and what-not:) Cheers again :)

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I'm sure you already looked at this but on the front end I had to mount my bags a bit aft of the axle to clear the swing of the steering arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne