Looks like I can't dodge the roof rack...

vectorsc

Adventurer
Because of the winter/cold weather nature of my explorations, I don't think I can dodge the whole roof rack situation. Especially the tent - it needs a large and flat packout to work out well I think.

Loading looks like 200lbs including rack so within the 150kg limits imposed by Mercedes on the G Wagen.

I'm looking at the Pioneer Platform and the Front Runner. Any tips on what folks like the most and why?

vectorsc

Adventurer
i was wrong in my statement about the tent - its not a RTT it's a ground tent. But it's 10x10 so I have to have a good way to pack it on.

rayra

Expedition Leader
? A 10'x10' ground tent ought to fit in something the size of a seabag or baseball bat bag.

How about a roof coffin for your bulky loose stuff?

vectorsc

Adventurer
It's a springbar tent. So it weighs 70lbs and fits into a space the size of a household air conditioner lol.

Good old canvas. I looked at roof boxes at rei and had two major concerns: 1 the guy at REI said he had both of the Yakima and Thule ones and they were great. But they froze shut in the winter frequently. 2 it was way more flimsy than the old school ones I was used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iowalr4

Adventurer
I store my Kodiak Canvas Flexbow inside, I always worry about moisture and general dust exposure. I have lighter gear in my roof cases, but that would work. The cases are air tight though, so it would never dry out and if its in sun, the cases air gets hot. Not a good environment for canvas.

vectorsc

Adventurer
Yeah a cargo bag looks better instead. Let it breathe some if possible.

Some of those bags are completely rubberized so best to avoid that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles