Autonomous Mesh Networks

Saguache

Adventurer
With my 1991 Mitsubishi Delica on its way I've been deep diving the modifications I plan to implement with this rig. Much of my planning centers on the purpose of the vehicle, I intend it to operate independently for extended periods of time, but I really want to deploy it as a launch pad for human-powered excursions via foot and bike. I think it's going to be a rare moment to find myself and my van in a long line of overlanders crawling up a jeep trail.

That said, communications, especially between vehicles, remains a challenge. Right now I'm looking at GMRS/FRS combo in the cab. People I have gone with in the past usually have this system aboard, sometimes even carrying handhelds down the path once they reach the trailhead. CB in my experience tends to get much more use while on the piste, so I may be excluding it from the build this time around. What I really want to experiment with are Autonomous Mesh Networks, basically long transmission, open Wi-Fi networks.

I've got a pair of Sonnet Mesh devices headed to the island, but don't expect to see them until late October/early November. I'll be adding a capable SMA antenna to the device while it's in my cab and am looking into mixing an inline amplifier as well. My intent is to extend the broadcast range and receiver sensitivity of the device with a reach goal of being able to contact my wife in Seattle while I'm still on our island (about 10 miles with some LOS clutter). Basically, I want to create an independent, extensible full-featured communications backbone.

I'm starting this thread because I imagine that others might find it interesting or will even have comments and suggestions they can pass along.

What type of communications do you plan to do over the mesh network?

I don't usually bring enough digital devices along to make a data network interesting enough, so I'm really curious as to your use case.

Saguache

Adventurer
What type of communications do you plan to do over the mesh network?

I don't usually bring enough digital devices along to make a data network interesting enough, so I'm really curious as to your use case.
Pretty much anything is possible. Right now we use encrypted SMS more than anything, but voice cooms, data exchanges, location sharing is all possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

aearles

Observer
Good luck dude, it's a cool idea but illegal to amplify and very unlikely to achieve 10 miles NLOS in a mobile environment. Definitely interested in hearing your results as testing progresses though, seems like a pretty neat device/concept and the price is right.

[edit] I should clarify, while it may not be illegal to amplify, the Sonnet device already transmits at 1W/30dBi, the ISM/915MHz band is restricted to 36dBm EIRP, so a 6dBi gain antenna is about as good as it gets within the legal constraints of the band. Even with otherwise unobstructed LOS, you're going to max out at ~6-9 miles due to the curvature of the earth and the height of a mobile antenna unless you're planning to put a base station/relay or two up on towers... which would be awesome.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne