Megacab VS Crewcab Ram 2500

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
So I got everything dialed in and the truck will be ordered in the next week or so depending on dealers responses since ordering via email. But I still have the thought in the back of my head, am I making a mistake by going with the Megacab vs Crewcab in the Ram 2500 Diesel short bed. I listed the difference below in the way of measurements. Some reason why I original decided to go with the Megacab are my height being 6'8 I need the seat adjusted as far back as possible at all times, storage behind the seats, reclining back seats, and more storage. On our last full-size build I had a Tundra 2nd Gen Crewmax, and that fit us great being two adults and two kids (which I think my son will be just as tall as me in the near future). The difference from the Crew Max to the Ram 2500 Megacab is 20" and the turning radius for the Megacab increases 2' over Crewmax. I liked the fact when we went into bear country I could hide a shotgun behind the seat with out it being notice and still recline and adjust the seats in the crew max and hopefully in the Megacab.

Now to specs Megacab vs. Crew Cab Ram 2500 with 6'4 bed(same as Megacab bed), the length/wheel base difference is 11.1 inches longer, 12.1 inches of storage behind back seat, and leg room in back seat is 3.3 inches longer.

Only thing I can't know before buying is how my departure angle will change and how the truck handles having that big of a wheel base. If anybody has experience or insight I am all ears.

ericvs

I have a 2006 Crew cab. The backseat is small, I often long for the mega cab. I am short too, so the seat is pretty far forward. The mega cab, IMO, is a better choice than the crew cab.

ripperj

Explorer
The crew cab got significantly bigger in 11/12? ( just saying ‘06 might not be a valid data point)
My 12 crew 2500 is several 6?? Inches longer on the floor in the back compared to the ‘10 I had.
The only benefit of the mega I see is the reclining rear seats, the only way I would go for a longer truck is to get more bed, but I’m not very tall either, but I wouldn’t think the front seats would be any different ( backward movement) between cabs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

str8t six

if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time then i would really consider the megacab. more space for traveling is always a good thing when you have kids!

also, are you going to be towing anything with the truck?

Kingsize24

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 crew cab, and wouldn't change it. But I do see why some may need more interior space than others. I do like the reclining and lean forward rear seats. The crew cab rear seats are locked in position and do not lean forward.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
Thanks for the thoughts guys keep them coming. I do plan on having this truck for a very long time and doing some epic trips in it (Alaska, Canada, Nova Scotia, and south of the border who knows how far). But no real towing for this rig minus harvesting wood for the winter in the Olympics which is just a small single axle trailer once or twice a year.

Thanks for the thoughts guys keep them coming. I do plan on having this truck for a very long time and doing some epic trips in it (Alaska, Canada, Nova Scotia, and south of the border who knows how far). But no real towing for this rig minus harvesting wood for the winter in the Olympics which is just a small single axle trailer once or twice a year.
If I end up doing the same similar set up we should try and link up for a south of the boarder trip. Then we can have similar rigs running together.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

str8t six

ok, i was going to say you might want to look at the payload capacity of the 2500 compared to the 3500 if you ever decide to get a trailer or load the bed full of equipment or a slide in camper.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
If I end up doing the same similar set up we should try and link up for a south of the boarder trip. Then we can have similar rigs running together.

Sounds good there is a few of us with families that talked about doing it in the next two years, Baja route and back. Where are you out of cause the other families range from California to Arizona.

Sounds good there is a few of us with families that talked about doing it in the next two years, Baja route and back. Where are you out of cause the other families range from California to Arizona.
I'm in Hawaii now, but will be relocating back to the mainland in the next couple months. As for location we haven't figure that out yet. Just somewhere on the west coast.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
ok, i was going to say you might want to look at the payload capacity of the 2500 compared to the 3500 if you ever decide to get a trailer or load the bed full of equipment or a slide in camper.

I really prefer the coil springs and won't be putting in a slide in camper, I am going with the Habitat. But you are right if I was going those routes it would be better with leaf springs.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
Yeah that's right, so no clue where yet after the service. I will be in Hawaii for a couple of weeks once I leave the sand pit to do some surfing and diving. I am drying up out here waiting for the tide to come in.

I'm in Hawaii now, but will be relocating back to the mainland in the next couple months. As for location we haven't figure that out yet. Just somewhere on the west coast.

Yeah that's right, so no clue where yet after the service. I will be in Hawaii for a couple of weeks once I leave the sand pit to do some surfing and diving. I am drying up out here waiting for the tide to come in.
Any clue when you will be out here. I remember you saying that you would be getting done in the next couple months?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94