Toyota Motorhomes

robert

Expedition Leader
Found this a while back while looking at camper options;
http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/

Here's a '78 4x4 for sale for $1500 OBO: http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/sal...gory&fromfrommethod=showhtmllist&fromfromid=5

I need to see if I can find my pictures from Baja and one of the guys we hung out with. He had built basically a wooden box with a door on the back and a single window on the driver's side. He had been living in it for about three months when we ran into him. His name was Lance and he was living in Flagstaff last I heard. Good times. :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Sliding Chalet wishes

If one wants to get terribly technical about it, the Chinook part of the shell for the Blazer Chalet (aka Casa Grande for the GMC version), isn't a "slide-in". Over on the blazerchalet.com web site, it's described as a real chore to remove & replace since it was engineered to be a permanent bolt-on installation.

I'm sad about that myself, but hoping some of my other fellow Chalet owners will figure out a way to make them work as a slide-in. I'd like to use my Blazer part as a "large object hauler", at least to get a little more practical use out of it.

Chalet shells can be found on eBay every once in a while, along with rusted out 'complete units', where the camper part is the only salvageable part remaining. It would be entertaining if someone could creatively install a Chalet camper on some other vehicle.

Attachments

• Chalet shell 1.JPG
    Chalet shell 1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 364
  • chalet shell 2.JPG
    chalet shell 2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

freetomeander

I have a Fleetwood Tioga RV. I suspect there aren't to many RV owners here but was wondering by chance if anyone has converted a Class A or C to 4x4 and how it's worked out. Salem-Kroger does that kind of thing.

offroadchef

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
Thanks for the link! Not featured on the website, but I've always thought Ken Trinder's '87 with a Bonanza camper was pretty cool, too.

KenTrinderbandit1.jpg

Is there any more info on it , can't find anything on the web about

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
offroadchef said:
Is there any more info on it , can't find anything on the web about
I dunno much more about it, since I didn't take the photos originally and don't know much about the camper. I think (I have to emphasize /think/) it was made by a company called Bonanza and it was called the Traveler. That might also be the name of the company, Bonanza Traveler. Anyway, if that's the case I think they went under in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

[rant]
That was a heady time for OHV campers, WilderNest was kickin', these guys, Toyota was making rugged, simple, decently priced trucks. There was even Toyota 2L diesels around for a few years in the mid-1980s... Now what do we get? Pickups with carpet, power windows, lots of plastic and $30K+ pricetags. Blah.
[/rant]

gjackson

FRGS
[rant]
That was a heady time for OHV campers, WilderNest was kickin', these guys, Toyota was making rugged, simple, decently priced trucks. There was even Toyota 2L diesels around for a few years in the mid-1980s... Now what do we get? Pickups with carpet, power windows, lots of plastic and $30K+ pricetags. Blah.
[/rant]

Dood! It's called progress!

Blah!!

cheers

haven

Expedition Leader
what happened?

Scott,

Thanks for pointing us to the full set of photos

So what happened to the Tinders Toyota/Bonanza
vehicle? How long ago was it listed for sale?

While I'm not crazy about the idea of fiberglassing
the camper cab-over to the roof of the cab, the
overall construction seems OK. I'm also a little
concerned about the weight of the fiberglass
camper compared to the 4 wheel camper sort of
aluminum camper.

Chip Haven

kcowyo

ExPo Original
kcowyo said:
I watched someone give it away on eBay last year

If I recall it was sold near the greater FtCollinsDenverCoSpringsPueblo metro area. It was on Denver's craigslist for $7500 but it sold on eBay for only around $4500! :Wow1:

I'm pretty sure Bonanza Campers or whatever, is/was in Indiana.

edit*
Checked my own link, yup, Indiana -

From Brian894x4.com-

"It was modified with a camper added by Bonaza Coach, out of Indiana. The roof tilts up for a full height ceiling and it sleeps 4 adults. Ken rebuilt the interior to his liking. He currently uses it for surfing down in Cape Hatteras North Carolina. A very and nicely built Toyota 4x4 camper."

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Just a clarification -

The company's proper name is Bonanza Coach Corp, with a second "N" in Bonanza. It was misspelled on Brian's site.

Their contact info - Bonanza Coach Corp. 26328 Parkview Ave., Elkhart, IN 46514, (219) 266-8075

However it seems they went out of business in '97 or '98. The last sighting of that camper was on Denver's Craigslist and eBay in the Fall of 2005. It sold on eBay for a little over $4500, but to who & where, I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior