Toyota Motorhomes

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Whoa, old school cool!

I think it would've been a blast to run around in one of those. Good, good stuff. :jumping:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
DaveInDenver said:
[rant]
That was a heady time for OHV campers, WilderNest was kickin', these guys, Toyota was making rugged, simple, decently priced trucks. There was even Toyota 2L diesels around for a few years in the mid-1980s... Now what do we get? Pickups with carpet, power windows, lots of plastic and $30K+ pricetags. Blah.
[/rant]

Yeah, Don't get me started on that...:rolleyes: Back in 1985 my Toyota 4x4 with a 5 speed and the 22r (carbureted) engine could routinely turn over 25 mpg in the city and nearly 30 on the highway, all without compromising off-road ability.

Then the 90's came along and gas was cheap, so buyers kept saying "more power, faster, more doodads and toys!" and so we got the Tacoma, which is bigger, heavier, and thirstier.

My personal pet peeve is the demise of the panel truck, which, in its 4x4 configuration, made a perfect off-road camper. Of course, panel trucks were replaced by vans in the 1960's, because vans had a more "efficient" design (i.e. they could haul as much stuff but took less room to park.) Unfortunately, this also increased their size vertically, which made them much less viable as off-road platforms (which explains why no manufacturer ever offered a 4x4 full-sized van from the factory - all 4x4 vans are aftermarket conversions.)

Imagine what you could do with a Tacoma (or any other small truck) - based panel truck with a fabric pop-top. You could even put removable passenger seats in the back so you could carry more than 1 other person while driving and still not compromise the camping ability of the vehicle.

Below: Great example of what I'm talking about (shamelessly stolen off of Collector Car Trader Online)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Toyota Dolphin Camper

Hi!

I had one of those Toyota Dolphin camper a couple years ago...1988 2WD.
We bought it for a 2 weeks trip in the desert at Burning Man.

They are simple and reliable, but the camper portion was not meant to go offroad.

We drove it for about 200 miles in Nevada on a dirt road after the celebration was over...

We almost destroyed the interior. The stove felt on the floor...the cabinets were all over the place.

And I put a thick layer of dust everywhere...it took me a week to fix up everything. The frame of this camper is all wood. I don't think I would want to convert these. I think fiberglass is a better option, like the Chinook.

Christian

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
2aroundtheworld said:
I don't think I would want to convert these. I think fiberglass is a better option, like the Chinook.

Christian

You bring up a good point. But even with fiberglass, on the one with the walk-in camper, you have to wonder what is going to happen to the junction between the cab and the camper when the body starts flexing on rough roads.

To me, just another reason why I'd prefer a single-bodied steel vehicle like the Toyota Troop Carrier or like my panel truck above.

haven

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr wrote:
"...no manufacturer ever offered a 4x4 full-sized van from the factory..."

Chevrolet offers all wheel drive in its Express 1500 full size van.
This vehicle is used by Roadtrek, Sportsmobile and others for
Class-B conversions.

Chevy also offered AWD for years in the mid-size Astro van.
The Tiger pop-up camper on an AWD Astro van worked well.

There's a chance that Mercedes may import the new Sprinter van
with factory 4x4 in a year or two.

Chip Haven

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
haven said:
.....The Tiger pop-up camper on an AWD Astro van worked well......
My parents had (and my brother now has it) a 2wd Tiger GT, shown below.... I'm assuming Awd Astros didn't look especially taller. I hardly ever see pics of the older Provan Tiger campers on the internet, only current factory Chevy truck versions.

attachment.php

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Another variation of the older Chinook / newer Toyota 4x4 conversion. It doesn't appear to be the same vehicle as the one in the post #31 above unless the stripes have been repainted, different wheels substituted, etc. http://www.greenwest.net/toyota/ Click on the "Chinook photos outside / inside" links to see the photos.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
There is one of those Tiger Provan AWD Astros on Austin Craigslist right now:

Listing

01011101040801031120070706219682133d48a90d5f009995.jpg

I have no connection to the sale, so don't blame me if it's a piece of junk ;)

Oh, and wrt the Yotas. I had an '85 4Runner. Great truck, but the 22re was pretty gutless in the mountains of Colorado. I couldn't imagine putting the extra weight of a camper on it. I'm really amazed that some companies build 25'+ motorhomes with that engine. However, the factory fiberglass top wasn't exactly a lightweight, so if you used lightweight camper construction, mayne it wouldn't suck too much worse...

I recenltly pinged a guy who told me he lived in a Yota-based motorhome for a year in Colorado. He said he nearly froze, couldn't get in a hurry going anywhere, and the interior was cheaply built. However, he also said (as implied above) the fiberglas shell held up well...

Last edited:

Halboo

Observer
Oh what a feeling!

Our 2005 4WD Tundra with it's brand new custom All Terrain Camper Super Shell.
e8b3eef4.jpg

e8b3eef5.jpg

Oh yeah! :smiley_drive:

haven

Expedition Leader
Toyota with Bonanza Bandit camper

Here's a Toyota with Bonanza Bandit camper from
the St. Louis Craigslist of 11 days ago.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/363829594.html

Some previous owner felt the need to pimp this ride,
but under the glitz and 25 years of dirt is an
interesting project

01010701020001030520070630143e7e89c7e513a8e700315b.jpg

It's a 1979 toyota with the 20R engine.
Owner wants $1300.

Chip Haven

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Wow!

DaveInDenver said:
Thanks for the link! Not featured on the website, but I've always thought Ken Trinder's '87 with a Bonanza camper was pretty cool, too.

KenTrinderbandit1.jpg

I think this is the coolest Toyota I have ever seen! I want one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior