Toyota Motorhomes

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Just sharing a link because I've always liked the 4x4 Santana. There was one for sale here in town a few years ago for $4500. Should have jumped on it, don't know what I was thinking -

ToyotaMotohomes.com

roof%20up.jpg

CLynn85

Explorer
I've always seen the little 2wd toyota motorhomes running around and pondered what it would take to put it on a 4wd chassis. Had no idea they built a 4wd one. :exclaim:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Very cool. I too have seen lots of 2wd versions around, but never a 4wd before! Thanks for the link! :clapsmile

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Crazy old lady in my complex has a 4x2 Toyota motorhome on an 87 chassis. I keep hoping she will sell it. What it really needs is a Tacoma chassis:exclaim:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've fawned over that one as well Dave....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I watched someone give it away on eBay last year

If I recall it was sold near the greater FtCollinsDenverCoSpringsPueblo metro area. It was on Denver's craigslist for $7500 but it sold on eBay for only around $4500! :Wow1:

So do you know the current or previous owner? Any word on its whereabouts now?

I think a 4x4 Santana or 4x4 Chinook, after swapping out the old 22R or 22RE for a fresh 3.4 or the new 4.0, with a set of locked LC80 axles under it would make for a hella fun outfit!

It's a shame there aren't more manufacturers doing fun conversions like the Chinook,

or when Chevy offered the Blazer Chalet -
venezuelan77b.jpg

I know it wasn't a profitable venture for them in the late 70's but gas prices were crippling then. It seems there has been a real surge in popularity over the last few years among outdoor enthusiasts and the vehicles they are picking for their adventures. Consider the Sportsmobile, the Earthroamer, heck look no further than the oddbal Dodge Sprinter conversions to see there is some market for unique vehicles prepped for outdoor living.

I also really liked the look and idea of the Blazer Sports Chalet, although I don't think they were ever produced. They were even touted for use in Baja 35 years ago! It helps that it is mounted on my favorite generation Chevy Blazer -

Attachments

• 70k5camp.jpg
    70k5camp.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,691
Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Chinook 4x4

The Chinook pop-up camper was not installed on a 4x4 chassis originally, but some people have made the switch:

brnatocean.jpg

For more examples of 80's 4x4 toyota pickups with campers, see the web page here.

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
There are tons of Trailmaster and Apollo Toyota 4x4 motorhome rentals in Australia. I had a close look at the Apollo..very crude camper, but the shell would be a good basis for a customized expedition rig. I am sure that used rigs could be bought cheap from one of the rental companies.

Trailmaster:
Hi-Lux-4WD-Camper250.jpg

Bushrangerfloorplan200.jpg

Apollo:
advcamper-250.jpg

floorplan-200.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Coachgeo

Explorer
There is a cabover full heigt Yota camper forsale here in North FL. They are asking around 5 grand. It looks GREAT; from a distance at least. Not mine and I have no connection but I can feed anyone the phone numbers if they want

kcowyo

ExPo Original
haven said:
The Chinook pop-up camper was not installed on a 4x4 chassis originally, but some people have made the switch:

Right, but wasn't the Sunrader offered as a 4x4 in '84 and/or'85...? Or with a Quigley/Pathfinder type conversion from the factory...?

I still think finding one, converted already or not, with new axles under it and a fresh squirrel under the hood, would be a unique and fun way to travel. :jumping:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm loving this thread!

....and I've asked this question before but got NO answer.

So THIS is the perfect thread to ask again!

Did anyone ever make a slide in camper for the 1st Generation 4Runner's with the removeable top.......like the Chevy Blazer.......???????!!...in the above post.

.........:lurk:

venezuelan77b.jpg

My truck.......would it work?
2006_0509BlackCanyonTestDrive0015.jpg

(....KC.............I really like your T~100 with pop up camper...........it's really Kewl!.....and to heck with the guys on the trail that gave you funny looks!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
haven said:

brnatocean.jpg

For more examples of 80's 4x4 toyota pickups with campers, see the web page here.

Chip Haven

THESE ARE VERY COOL!!!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Did anyone ever make a slide in camper for the 1st Generation 4Runner's with the removeable top.......like the Chevy Blazer.......???????!!...in the above post.

My truck.......would it work?

(....KC.............I really like your T~100 with pop up camper...........it's really Kewl!.....and to heck with the guys on the trail that gave you funny looks!)

SWR - I've never seen or heard of a slide-in camper on a 1st gen 4Runner and I spend a lot of time online looking at Yotas and campers. I feel pretty sure if there were something available or a custom unit that someone had done, I would have at least seen it or a pic by now.

However that doesn't mean that this isn't an opportunity to be the first of your kind. The Eagle or Ranger model Four Wheel Camper would fit your 4Runner following the removal of the back seat and rollbar. The bed dimensions of the 1st gen 4Runners are the same from the B pillar back, as the 2nd gen ('84-'89) pick up trucks.

Here is a Ranger model on a 1st gen pick up, from the FWC website -
toyota2.jpg

There is a small gap (3-4 inches) between the back of the cab and the front of the camper, so the main problem I foresee (and probably why it hasn't been done) is that the back of your entire cab would be open to the elements, curious hands, bugs, etc. Not sure how that would be overcome without modding the 'Runner to the point that it would be more pick up than 4Runner....?

Of course you would lose your rear speakers and storage too. IIRC, the factory jack is stored in the rear in a side cubby? I had an '89 4Runner (nearly identical to the SWR, but not as nice looking) with the 3.slo also and that would be my other concern, especially after your nightmare with Monsiuer Sucky. The suspension could be modified to handle the load but it is a big drain on the powertrain, especially in the higher altitudes and mountain passes that you seem to enjoy.

Not saying it can't be done but I am saying I haven't seen a first gen 4Runner with a camper on it and I'm not aware of anything that was ever offered from a conversion company.

Thanks for the kind words on my outfit. It's been a fun process (and frustrating) to put together something different, that will work well on the trail and last me a looooong time. The FWC has really enhanced my outdoor experiences and hasn't been a liability to where I can take the truck. That's often the tough part, finding a camping solution that will augment what you have and not restrict you from your favorite trails.

And I don't sweat the haters. I seem to make friends with Kalifornians quite easily.....:ylsmoke:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

WOW! KC.............

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

What a detailed answer!

Thanks for taking the time!

Now I need to go digest it:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94