Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Congratulations and welcome to the addiction. You have a great looking trailer in the works and I'll be watching this with great interest.

In respect to the question about additional counter top space I pilfered the following images from a Land Rover thread and planned to use the same idea on the side of my teardrop trailer.

table_done_closed.jpg

table_done.jpg

table_latch.jpg

On another note, how are you going to do all of the cut outs in the side walls? Any chance you have access to a water-jet table? That would be really cool!!!

Mike

stomperxj

Explorer
GeoTracker90 said:
On another note, how are you going to do all of the cut outs in the side walls? Any chance you have access to a water-jet table? That would be really cool!!!
Mike
Nothing fancy on the wood cutouts Mike... just a plain old jigsaw. I wish i had access to a water jet or some sort of cnc router. That would be cool...

Photog

Explorer
stomperxj said:
Nothing fancy on the wood cutouts Mike... just a plain old jigsaw. I wish i had access to a water jet or some sort of cnc router. That would be cool...

You could use a hand router to make the cuts.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
stomperxj said:
I hear you about a weak point on the hatch. I did a revision with a flat door on the back for the galley area and it just didn't look right to me. Plus I need the height so I can stand under the hatch and have some lights mounted up there. Maybe even some small bungee net storage. Originally I had designed the hatch out of wood with a square corner and the strength was brought up on the other forum as well. I plan on making the hatch frame from 1x1x.063 steel square tube so it should be plenty strong. As far as leaks are concerned, I hope my sealing method works ok :)

Thanks for the feedback ntsqd, it is appreciated ;)

Jess
I thought that might be what was driving the shape. Consider a gusseting tube across the opening of the bent arc.

I'd make a router guide frame from scrap for each hole and clamp them in place one at a time. Temporarily fasten the two sides together long enough to make all of the common cuts.

Markgyver

Observer
ntsqd said:
I'd make a router guide frame from scrap for each hole and clamp them in place one at a time. Temporarily fasten the two sides together long enough to make all of the common cuts.

I was thinking the same thing sure would be better than using a jig saw plus you would get nice smooth cuts.

Great looking trailer cant wait to see more progress photos.

Ursa Minor

nice!

Man, I like the work, now I'll go read the thread on the tear drop site too... The CAD looks pretty nice with the wood grain, what software did you use?
cheers
John

stomperxj

Explorer
Ursa Minor said:
Man, I like the work, now I'll go read the thread on the tear drop site too... The CAD looks pretty nice with the wood grain, what software did you use?
cheers
John

I modeled it in Autocad and then rendered it in Sketchup. You can apply images as textures in Sketchup so I found a picture of real plywood on google images and used that as my texture...

Thanks!

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Nice work on the drawings and the start of your trailer. I'm also a member over on the tear drop forums and like to pass info back and forth.

Pete Wilson
Midwest Bigfoot Investigations

stomperxj

Explorer
Well I just dove in head first and bought some windows.

I read a quote over on the teardrop forums that made sense:

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
and figured I'd just get some good windows. All 3 are from callencampers.com in So Cal...

(1) 10x54 tinted picture window
(2) 12x9 white picture window for the doors
(2) 12x18 tinted side sliders:
IF0OwHq.jpg

orVY8Ze.jpg

fpEWTIs.jpg

The madness begins :)

Jess

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Well dad had a scrap piece of OSB laying at his shop so my bud Jon and I decided to mock up one side with a door to see how it looks in real life. I think its going to be pretty sweet but I'm a little biased :)
sFIJ99x.jpg

OCvq6qt.jpg

U5ejudX.jpg

I crawled in and out the door a bunch and laid down in it and it seems about right. I'm 5'11" and the bed is 76" so I have a little room to breathe. I'm going to try to get some stabilizers by next weekend and maybe the landing gear for the tongue so I can finish the frame out and start priming it.

I also bought my first project specific tool this weekend. A Mini Kreg Pocket Jig :) I'm excited to use it...

More later-
Jess

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior