German Taco?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
1905f92d1c4d39172d7d4acfb0ca3efc.jpg

Seeing these guys all over the place. Snorkels, winches, racks... VeeDub says no way they'll bring them stateside???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rontaki

Observer
I think VW shot itself in the feet with this one. It seems that most of the models come with TDI (diesel) engines, especially in 4Motion trim. Need I say more?
Too, too bad.

Speaking of 4Motion, below is a shot of my favorite VW badging, usually seen on older Passats -

W84Motion.jpg

Get it? - Wait for motion:sombrero:

Yeah, I know, Wait for motion really belongs on the back of my Vanagon.

chunko

Observer
These are sold in Mexico- made in Argentina, I think. I see them once in a while here in Southern California. Starts at 23000 USD for a 4x4 TDI with 6 spd manual (double cab only).

haven

Expedition Leader
Rainer Zietlow is a German who makes a living setting speed records for long-distance driving on public roads. He drives VW products. In April Zietlow and two co-drivers drove from Dakar, Senegal to Moscow, Russia (4000 km) in three days, driving an Amarok 3.0L V6 diesel. The only changes made to the Amarok were the installation of driving lights, a larger fuel tank, and a set of all-terrain tires.

In August 2017, Zietlow drove a route approximating the old Silk Road from Shanghai, China to Venice, Italy (12,500 km) in a little less than 6 days. Talk about white line fever -- that's averaging better than 90kph / 55mph, including fuel stops and border crossings. The Chinese have made a concerted effort to improve roads across their country to assist international trade.

Follow Zietlow's adventures on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Rainer.Zietlow.Challenge4/

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
When I first saw this thread, I thought you meant one of these...

The Anorak is reasonably popular here in Australia, but they tend to be a bit more city focused, with the preferred ute in regional areas still Japanese.

chunko

Observer
When I first saw this thread, I thought you meant one of these...

The Anorak is reasonably popular here in Australia, but they tend to be a bit more city focused, with the preferred ute in regional areas still Japanese.

I thought we were going to discuss the merits of bratwurst and sauerkraut served in a tortilla.

gnel

Very nice! Would love to see more of how you like it and how it does off-road. Do you have more details on your build (aftermarket bumper?)?

I bought her new in 2014. So far I love this truck. The 2.0 I4 diesel motor is fantastic (especially after a remap). I average about 27 mpg mixed. Its a 6 speed manual trans 4x4 with a proper 4 high/low transfer case. The traction control system is incredible. I´ve never been stuck nor needed a rear locker. It drives like a dream on the highway. Very German in its road manners.

My build so far is the front Rhino bumper from Argentina, 22 in led lite bar and led fog lites, Rock sliders and steel skid plates covering all essentials, Snug Top shell, 40 mm suspension lift (springs) with Bilstein struts/shocks and King springs, BMW wheels with 265/75/16 in. BFG at ko2, Thule racks for the cab and shell, Garmin GPS and back up camera, remap/tune adding 40 hp and 80 ft lbs of torque, bigger intake, better exhaust flow, diff, tranny and transfer case breather extensions, thats all I can think of right now.

Wish list : ARB rear air locker, Smittybilt winch, pop up camper, snorkel.

20170302_105245.jpg

Taking off the 23rd of this month to do the Baja peninsula again (3rd time with this truck)! :sombrero::beer::camping::REOutIceFishing:

Cheers g

Last edited:

chunko

Observer
I bought her new in 2014. So far I love this truck. The 2.0 I4 diesel motor is fantastic (especially after a remap). I average about 27 mpg mixed. Its a 6 speed manual trans 4x4 with a proper 4 high/low transfer case. The traction control system is incredible. I´ve never been stuck nor needed a rear locker. It drives like a dream on the highway. Very German in its road manners.

My build so far is the front Rhino bumper from Argentina, 22 in led lite bar and led fog lites, Rock sliders and steel skid plates covering all essentials, Snug Top shell, 40 mm suspension lift (springs) with Bilstein struts/shocks and King springs, BMW wheels with 265/75/16 in. BFG at ko2, Thule racks for the cab and shell, Garmin GPS and back up camera, remap/tune adding 40 hp and 80 ft lbs of torque, bigger intake, better exhaust flow, diff, tranny and transfer case breather extensions, thats all I can think of right now.

Wish list : ARB rear air locker, Smittybilt winch, pop up camper, snorkel.

View attachment 420101

Taking off the 23rd of this month to do the Baja peninsula again (3rd time with this truck)! :sombrero::beer::camping::REOutIceFishing:

Cheers g

Truck looks great! Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94