Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie questions....BLISS MOBIL and chassis

Unimog or not, contact Couch. He has worked very close with Bliss, probably the most knowledgeable and connected to the company here in the US. You are close enough to Denver, it would be worth your while. There is also Earth Roamer in Denver. Global X has produced some iconic campers, but I hear a bit of dissatisfaction with their support and some unethical sales issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by burquedoka; 10-01-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Geländewagen, UNIMOG U1550L37 DoKa

https://www.facebook.com/Gelandeventures/

I've seen the bliss units in person at the Abenteuer and Allrad and they are very nicely done. Build quality appeared to be extremely high and the team was very friendly and proud of their product. I do think that this method does have some tradeoffs that should be considered vs. building a box for a specific chassis. With the requirement of integrating all the equipment into the box I don't think they are quite as space efficient as a custom build which can integrate more mechanicals into the chassis. Also, as already mentioned, the requirement that it can be lifted separate from the truck leads to having to have a heavy steel frame that wouldn't otherwise be needed.

I seriously considered buying one with the plan to buy a chassis to use on a continent, then when finished with that "area" to sell that chassis and ship the box onward to drop onto the next chassis. If you wanted to go that route then buy a chassis for NA that will work until you're ready to move on. You'll save substantial money in shipping if you just send the box rather than the whole truck. You can get some low mileage Stewart and Stevensons from govplanet that should be relatively trivial to adapt for the Bliss Mobil box.

Oshkosh HEMTT Heavy Expedition Truck (HERMTT)
    Land Rover Range Rover

Follow us @hermtthemtt on Instagram and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by kevindhamilton View Post
    You'll save substantial money in shipping if you just send the box rather than the whole truck.
    Shipping is a relatively trivial expense. To ship my Unicat/U500 across the Atlantic cost less than 4000 euro/dollars each way. That is for a 12 metric ton vehicle that is about 70 cubic meters. A whole lot less than buying a new chassis for Europe.
    Look at Seabridge's rates:
    https://www.seabridge-tours.de/html/...nguage=english
    It is actually cheaper to get to Australia via Halifax and Antwerp than to go from LA to Aus east coast. And using Halifax as one's port of entry/egress for N. America allows one to avoid US Customs and US ports, a huge benefit.

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    Shipping is a relatively trivial expense. To ship my Unicat/U500 across the Atlantic cost less than 4000 euro/dollars each way. That is for a 12 metric ton vehicle that is about 70 cubic meters. A whole lot less than buying a new chassis for Europe.
    Look at Seabridge's rates:
    https://www.seabridge-tours.de/html/...nguage=english
    It is actually cheaper to get to Australia via Halifax and Antwerp than to go from LA to Aus east coast. And using Halifax as one's port of entry/egress for N. America allows one to avoid US Customs and US ports, a huge benefit.

Charlie
    Thanks for the info! I just received some insanely high quotes for Seattle to South Africa. I'll take a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oshkosh HEMTT Heavy Expedition Truck (HERMTT)
    Land Rover Range Rover

Follow us @hermtthemtt on Instagram and Facebook

Hi Charlie,

Is it better for someone living in the U.S. to ship their Bliss vehicle in through Halifax and then drive it down to the U.S.? Is regular land customs easier somehow than going through U.S. port customs?

Thanks!

Thank you! I read on one of the forum posts from a couple of years ago that Couch might become the U.S. distributor for Bliss. That would be interesting and would probably make buying a Bliss Mobil a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondette View Post
    Hi Charlie,

Is it better for someone living in the U.S. to ship their Bliss vehicle in through Halifax and then drive it down to the U.S.? Is regular land customs easier somehow than going through U.S. port customs?

Thanks!
    yes
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12