Bigger family solutions?

Kach

Hi! We are currently looking at getting rid of our travel trailer (33' overall !?!) and coming up with a more mobile solution. The plan for now is retain my Ram 2500 Cummins, but I would like something 1/2 ton towable or ideally even workable with a JKU or 4Runner weight-wise.

We are a family of 5, so sleep space is needed for sure. I also like the idea of some sort of bathroom facility. Preferably enclosed, but could just be a cassette or portal potty in a closet.

All that said, I'm most considering a diy build of a cargo trailer. We will be using mostly on forest service type roads. I basically want a bit of travel trailer accommodation but built in a more overland style and ruggedness (like a van build but in a trailer). Little or no indoor cooking needed, 12v fridge probably, solar/LED everything. Pretty simple, mostly just a basecamp.

Any thoughts or similar builds anyone can link me to? Trailer size?

Thanks!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Check out pipe rack / cots used on racing sailboats. They are simple, light and typically fold up against a wall without taking up too much space. You can probably rig a three stack on one wall if your really creative on spacing. We do it on the racing boats, but were usually dead tired and could sleep anywere!

Ive thought about this idea some. Two bunks would be easy, but at min they run 6ft, which means the best use of trailer length would be across a 6ft wide by say 10ft long box.

My other idea would be to see what it would cost to have a low hauler cargo built with a tip up roof. Add soft sides, bunks up top for kids, pull out bunk on on the floor for the parents. Then slide out kitchen under awning like Itech trailers.

Sorta a ultra light toy hauler idea given bikes, boats toys for easy packing but bunks for 4-5.

The lowboy cargo with pop up idea was attractive from the towing aspect lower profile, that and easier to hide behind a fence in the side yard.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
tnttt.com is the URL for Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers. There is a sub forum for Cargo Conversions. I picked up a 6x10 Cargo Trailer this spring, and have spent the summer doing a lot of "things" to make it comfy.

Craig

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I built a 5x8 for our family this year to tow behind our JK with it's pitiful 3000lb tow rating. It's 66" tall inside (so my wife fits but I don't). It has a 3500 lb axle with brakes and it's fully insulated. Empty it was 1150 lbs (according to the MFG, I've never weighed it). GVWR is 2995 so my payload is in the 1800 lb range.

Roof tent up top, sleeping size is 72W x 96L. For your situation you could easily fit 2 roof tents for the added space.

Dinette inside, seating for 3 at the table + 1 on the nose box + 1 on the fridge if you really want to cram in like sardines. You could build a toilet into the bench pretty simply. Nose box has 2x group 31 batteries, 100A breaker, 12 circuit fuse panel, solar charger, shore charger

Can convert the dinette into sleeping area for 2+ if the weather is too nasty for the tent.

It tracks in almost the exact same tire tracks as the jeep and I can easily see around it with the stock mirrors. I had to add a 7-way harness and a trailer brake controller to the wrangler.

MPG towing loaded up on the highway at 65 is 14mpg.

XmXetk5R4E-xRQeLrEFKHfLx_vzpqO2sIqSMM7cY7_DMzFMKJ4HGoC4M66DlX71yCOAvND8ZCIc8wRBa-V3LpTSKfj1tRRIO9Dc2Is763JP_VEj1XW2Zk6k6x4AO5VI0kVv7bwS7k4c=w831-h623-no

-xfiIgWkvI7JCz3g4zxA8t-VV7M4sVcDS7QUWmrLplMtB5igUa06Es_NK-5v8wM-AQaYNagYOULpV5OkRfKpp1XhOZ_XgjBQk03FhEFBO8gOhp5XH4DvL5JNfhDCLdLN8Jbvg_24iJE=w468-h623-no
E_K5O__PiXsZTvPQICS3FHAIEJJuOi54e2cX_uDLaBjeQG77L4raxoGAezpLnm8mz2hO_YzA42aG5yRAtHS6sroNnsV6YQVV0miv7JaLV9S-Hx2Jvx0273uWI_6IaKYnPJVZPSQYIuU=w468-h623-no

5 people, how about a Big RTT like a Mt Rainer with vestibule. We have ours mounted on a trailer and sleep 4 with 2 dogs comfortably. Bathroom is all around in the woods.

bald.eagle

Observer
We also have a family of 5 and I've been brainstorming on the best possible setup for us to spend time on the road. I really like the idea of building out a cargo trailer, but of course sleeping space necessitates the most dedicated square footage with 5 people on board.

I'd really like to stay with a 6x10 trailer, but 6x12 might be necessary. That way you could have basically one entire wall length dedicated to sleeping arrangements. My thought was to have two single bunks on the front half, and on the back half build a slide-out couch/bed (double size) with a murphy-style fold out single bed above it. That would leave the entire opposite side dedicated to a kitchen/toilet room, storage, table, etc. A fold-down cargo door would allow extra "porch" space, and a tent or annex type setup over that would really increase the interior space. One personal requirement I do have with a larger trailer is at least 6' ceiling height, I'm 5'10" and don't want to have to hunch over inside.

My other thought was to stick with something like a 5x8 with a RTT. Inside space could accommodate a slide out couch/bed and a single bed, along with room for storage, maybe a toilet setup inside. Would be focused more on outdoor living, using a chuck-box kitchen type setup, maybe a slide out at the rear door that could be built under a bed platform

I need to start some mockups in Google Sketchup to see how best I can fit all the things we'll require. I want as small of a footprint as possible but still have a reasonable amount of room to live among each other. I'm leaning towards a larger trailer with all sleeping arrangements inside, that would provide adequate shelter for everyone in case of inclement weather.

I do want to beef up the suspension so I could match the ride height of the tow vehicle, but I'm not sure if that is too ambitious for a 10-12' trailer. Maybe someone else could chime in with experience there.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Derek,

In my 6x10 Cargo, 5 folks would very cramped. I have a a plywood fold down platform that I swing down for a single bed. It has a second sheet that also folds out for sleeping 2. When the bed is folded out for 2, things get pretty tight.

I think an area that is not often highlighted well is everyone has gear/clothes bags, pillows, mattresses general personal stuff. If the sleeping arrangements are to be put away each morning, then things get a little crowded, just finding places to move stuff to, while dealing with other stuff. Same situation when deploying the sleeping arrangements in the evening.

What makes my 6x10 workable is that I spent a bit of money and a lot of time doing a good awning. Sunbrella fabric, quality tent poles from Sailrite, removable shelving for cooking on the side of the trailer, under the awning. Basically, the inside is just for sleeping, or hanging out in bad weather. I may sew up some zippered walls for my awning arrangement, next spring.

I think you are on the right track with maybe planning for the outside kitchen and other arrangements. I tend to think of the trailer itself as a way to haul my gear, and supplement the outside living. I believe when you think about the trailer as the main living area, then the size requirements start to get kinda crazy, for an offroad type trailer.

Craig

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Derek,

In my 6x10 Cargo, 5 folks would very cramped. I have a a plywood fold down platform that I swing down for a single bed. It has a second sheet that also folds out for sleeping 2. When the bed is folded out for 2, things get pretty tight.

I think an area that is not often highlighted well is everyone has gear/clothes bags, pillows, mattresses general personal stuff. If the sleeping arrangements are to be put away each morning, then things get a little crowded, just finding places to move stuff to, while dealing with other stuff. Same situation when deploying the sleeping arrangements in the evening.

What makes my 6x10 workable is that I spent a bit of money and a lot of time doing a good awning. Sunbrella fabric, quality tent poles from Sailrite, removable shelving for cooking on the side of the trailer, under the awning. Basically, the inside is just for sleeping, or hanging out in bad weather. I may sew up some zippered walls for my awning arrangement, next spring.

I think you are on the right track with maybe planning for the outside kitchen and other arrangements. I tend to think of the trailer itself as a way to haul my gear, and supplement the outside living. I believe when you think about the trailer as the main living area, then the size requirements start to get kinda crazy, for an offroad type trailer.

Craig

we need a build thread on that.. or at least some pics

bald.eagle

Observer
Derek,

Craig
Craig, thanks for the input- would you say the 6x10 is adequate sized to serve as basically a rolling bunkhouse for 5? I’m thinking of using fold-down cots for the kids’ beds, and the adult double bed would be a couch that slides out to a double platform. I do like the idea of a more developed exterior setup- I would definitely include an awning in the build, and an annex like RTT’s use over either door would also be a great expansion. I have no desire to make a trailer into a cushy RV style setup, but would like it to be *just* big enough that we could all retreat inside in case of lousy weather or boondocking in a rest stop on the road. I think with some smartly integrated storage and a lot of Tetris with the furnishings, it should be possible. My goal is to keep it fire road worthy and towable by a 1/2ton vehicle.

I’ll work on some sketchup plans this week. Need to get it down with actual measurements to see if I can really fit all we’ll need.

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I will be camping out of mine next weekend for a week, on an Elk hunt. I should have time to take some pictures. I did not really take a ton of pictures during the build, as it took so darn long. I did find one during the build, let me see if it will post correctly:

trailer lightedb.jpg

I was showing my led lighting. You can see the bed down (with my big knucklehead), my front shelf, my rolling battery box and my solar stuff at the far front right. The rolling battery box allows me to roll it over the axle for transport, anchored to the e-track. And I can partially roll it out once camping, as a spare seat for the shelf. This was early in the build.

Derek,

I pull mine with a 2002 Avalanche, very close to what may be your tow vehicle. As I live in the mountains, the big item I need to add to my vehicle is a trans cooler. Otherwise the Chevy pulls it just fine. I have an offroad trailer of sorts for ugly trails, but still wanted "reasonable" offroad capability with my cargo conversion. When I looked at trailers, the difference between a 10' or 12' length looked obvious as to degraded capabilities. But, if really only running forest service fire roads, the added length would be very helpful. They both seemed huge when standing in them at the dealership, but once constructing, the space goes fast.

I wanted mine to not be a fancy RV type, but fully able to be a cargo trailer when I wanted. hence the reason for everything being fold down. I do have a permanent shelf in the front, but it does not really impact cargo ability. I did not go fancy inside, but tried to do everything of reasonable build quality. My CT has a 3500# drop axle, but I did put some spare 33x9.5" BFG offroad tires and wheels on it. Those help get it up, and I can go to a straight axle and pick up another 4 inches if I decide I need it. But one thing about lift, is the door threshold gets kinda high. I am using a full size spare, and have a board bolted to one side to use as a step. 2 for one, as I am hauling the spare anyway. A ramp would make the in and out easier, but then you need 6 or so feet to the length of the trailer for parking and deployment, so opted for double doors.

Mopar posted a cool picture of his RTT on his, and you can get a feel for just how high his is. I would think it great for better roads, but once I get offroad here in the rocky mountains, and I leave the main FS hauls, trees and branches up high can get to be pretty tight. The RTT would be great for the kids, as what youngun' doesn't want to hang out in a tree house? then the double bed couch for you and the Mrs. Other than the headache of putting things out at night, and away in the morning, the RTT would really bring a lot of flexibility to your build.

I keep all of my cooking/camping gear in waterproofish tubs. They all go outside. My fold down bed stays down when camping, to provide seats for hanging out inside. I think the big downside to a couch bed would be losing the storage under it. It would be a ton more comfortable, but space is the premium with these builds. I think you could make a 6x10 (or 12) reasonable for hanging out on the inside during weather, but an extended weather condition would get to be pretty "crowded". Here in the rockies, we get a lot of daily rain during the summer. It blows in quick, and usually has a lot of wind with it. Outside even under an awning can be wet. So hiding from the rain is usually only a few hours. If your prevailing rains are more vertical (and not blowing), a good awning would still allow for outside living. I would give consideration to your typical weather patterns. I used sail/awning track on both side of my trailer, and the tracks is 9.5 feet in length. When I sewed the awing track to the fabric, I made a break at 5 feet. this lets me fold the awning into a reasonable size for transport, but allows me to only thread 5 feet into the track, and the other 5 hangs down. A sort of wall, If I need it.

Your idea of sketching is solid. I would maybe add a length of rope in the yard mocking the pattern. Have the tribe join you in the pattern, and see what you think. As to height, I would say 3-4 inches above the tallest head if possible. I am 6', and have a 6'3" inside height. Mine is not insulated, and I rally do not feel like I have to squat inside. Might be a little snugger with insulation, but if this upcoming hunting trip goes OK with my buddy heater in the evening and mornings, I may not insulate. But I do manage to bonk my head a few times on the door jambs. Never an issue stepping in, but stepping out, I need to get in the habit of screwing my cap on backwards when inside.

I think a 6x10 or 12 would be completely doable for you, if you do not want all the RV goodies like sink, toilet, kitchen etc, inside, with 5 folks. It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to deploy/pack when not hurrying, but with the 4 helpers you have, I bet you could shorten that ;^)

Craig

Kach

Great ideas everyone, thanks! I like the RTT on a cargo conversion - I had something like that in mind with maybe a dinette/convertible bed in the main trailer.

rlynch356

Defyota
our solution.. (family of 4) is the trailer with the RTT.. normally i go with the girls (8 &12) and the 3 of us are all in the RTT on the trailer, when my wife goes we kick the girls out to the Oz RV5 we sling on the trailer box, usually there is room for them to bring a friend or so as well.. the RV5 sleeps 4 on pads without an issue and the RTT we have (an Overland canvas Autohome) sleeps 3 great but 4 in a pinch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles