Wildernest Restoration

Will_beck

I recently acquired a Wildernest for my Tacoma.

It has seen it's fair share of better days, but I think it is in good enough shape to attempt a working restoration on. I currently use a roof top tent, and need some weatherproof storage. A Wildernest seems like the best combination of the two.

I have a line on a couple companies that can make new tents. Mine really isn't horrible, but it has plenty of mildew stains, and i'd like to switch to a heavier canvas like my Tepui.

It has nearly all the hardware, but is missing some critical pieces. The tent poles are wrong, and some of the pins and buckles have disappeared. Can someone with the smaller shell send me dimensions for the interior fiberglass poles? I would like to make new ones.

Also, does anyone have pictures and dimensions for the aluminum V-shaped pieces that support the upper window vents? Mine are missing and I figure replacements would be easy to make.

70FC1E27-586E-48F0-84AF-9F1BA4F9DAF8.jpg
676C8000-6685-42D3-A02A-65EF40A1253F.jpg
17DAD995-96C7-482E-B3D1-5BA75F1B1945.jpg

malibubts

Adventurer
Unfortunately I can't be of much help on your questions, but I'm looking forward to see your progress. Keep the posts coming!

Will_beck

What is this cable running across the top for?

IMG_0013.jpg

Missing the V pieces

IMG_0014.jpg

Is this a factory assembly? Drivers side rear support pole

IMG_0018.jpg

Same drivers side support poles. I may remove it and have a new one fabricated. Some of the locking holes are egged out as well.

IMG_0017.jpg

Center of the middle horizontal support pole. Assuming this is where the fiberglass poles insert, one from each side?

IMG_0015.jpg

Are these square and circular patterns under the bed reinforced mounting points? The previous owner mounted a roof rack to the top of the shell.

IMG_0019.jpg

Is there steel reinforcement above the rear hatch? This section appears to have been crushed at some point and crudely repaired.

IMG_0016.jpg

Last edited:

Will_beck

The plan is to remove the tent and have it remanufactured. ill remove the support cable, support poles, and all hardware and repair, refurbish of replace. I'll see what I can do about some of the fiberglass repair work, and replace missing components.

Finally it'll get new seals and a new coat of paint to match my truck's silver.

Hopefully it'll serve me for many more years to come on the back of the Mountain Goat.

View attachment 419796

Will_beck

Removed the tent from the shell/frame. Unfortunately it seems some of the underlying wood may be dry rotted? A handful of the screws were extremely rusted. There's some cleanup and fiberglass work to get to, but one step at a time.

IMG_0023.jpg

Also started working on a replacement for the rear hatch glass. The previous owner used some thin corrugated plastic that wasn't even remotely sealed. I used some .25" acrylic from the local hardware store. The instructions said to use a scribe and break it, but I only succeeded in shattering a corner. I broke out the Dremmel with a cutting tool and took my time.

IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg

Will_beck

Unfortunately I can't be of much help on your questions, but I'm looking forward to see your progress. Keep the posts coming!

Thanks! No worries, I don't know much about most of what I'll have to do. It makes me sad I will have to pay others to do a lot of it haha.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Great seeing these things getting some love. I had one years ago and still regret selling it. Your tent does seem a bit, um, limp. I've not seen that before on these. Wondered if it maybe it was swapped from a different model, so, maybe excess fabric? Or maybe just worn out from use.

I don't recall any of my metal poles having welds.

Not sure about steel reinforcement above the rear hatch, but look at those corners carefully. The back of the 'Nest wants to spread out. Mine had cracking in the fiberglass in each upper corner from this.

Not sure about the square/circular pattering under the bed, but I recall mine had them as well. And a for that cable, all I remember is that all the cables had something to do with opening and closing and support for the whole system. What's the other end attached to?

WillBeck

Adventurer
The cable just runs horizontally between the verticals of the middle main support "arch". I saw a picture earlier that looked like there was a curtain strung from it

WillBeck

Adventurer
Trying to decide on replacement draw down latches. I'm missing one, and I'd kind of like to get something along the lines of a Jeep or Humvee.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Same boat brotha. I'm the process of restoring mine as well. Pretty sure I hit you up in the comments on an IG Post of yours. I'm in the process of removing the coat of bedliner off of mine. Does the roof/bed of yours feel sepperated between the layers of fiberglass? Mine seems to be really weak and I'm not sure how I feel about putting weight on it.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Cable across the top is for a curtain, doesn't offer any support to my knowledge..the other two is for the cantilever support.

McMaster Carr has stainless draw latches. (will get you the part number)

I swapped out the hinges for stainless too, have a part number for those somewhere, and the bulb seal.

Can get you measurements for the fiberglass poles, will have to wait until Sunday when I get some free time.

Don't really need the outside ground poles, they are use to stabilize it.

There are also 90º (ish) pieces of aluminum strap with a pin through them to hold up the upper triangular vents which pin into the center upright pole, can get you pictures and measurements for those.

Dave in Denver is the Wilderness savant on here, maybe he'll chime in.

There is this too: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/4338-Wildernest-Spare-Parts-Info

http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/products_id/6047

WillBeck

Adventurer
Cable across the top is for a curtain, doesn't offer any support to my knowledge..the other two is for the cantilever support.

McMaster Carr has stainless draw latches. (will get you the part number)

I swapped out the hinges for stainless too, have a part number for those somewhere, and the bulb seal.

Can get you measurements for the fiberglass poles, will have to wait until Sunday when I get some free time.

Don't really need the outside ground poles, they are use to stabilize it.

There are also 90º (ish) pieces of aluminum strap with a pin through them to hold up the upper triangular vents which pin into the center upright pole, can get you pictures and measurements for those.

Dave in Denver is the Wilderness savant on here, maybe he'll chime in.

There is this too: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/4338-Wildernest-Spare-Parts-Info

http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/products_id/6047

Any info you have for the 90* aluminum strap would be perfect!

WillBeck

Adventurer
Same boat brotha. I'm the process of restoring mine as well. Pretty sure I hit you up in the comments on an IG Post of yours. I'm in the process of removing the coat of bedliner off of mine. Does the roof/bed of yours feel sepperated between the layers of fiberglass? Mine seems to be really weak and I'm not sure how I feel about putting weight on it.

Strange that you mention that, because mine feels like the layers in the roof are separated as well. I have plenty of faith in it holding me alone, but I'm a little nervous about the gf and I both being up there. Supposedly it can support 1000lbs though...

gwittman

Adventurer
I just did a second refurbish on mine. Fortunately, I had a new original tent to put on it. I just recoated the hinges and latches with a good black, bake-on coating. I wanted to replace with stainless but could not find exact replacements. I can get a picture of the aluminum straps with dimensions if no one else does. I can get the dimensions of the fiber lass poles too but that can vary depending on your tent and how it is attached. I had to make a new one out of a graphite fiber rod when I installed my new tent. The tent material also expands and contracts with being wet (humidity) and dry. I might have a few spare items if you need them. I know I have a spare curtain because I never used it. I will check to see what other spares I may have. I am pretty sure I have a spare organizer that fits on the inside front of the tent.
I should be able to open up my Wildernest this weekend to take pictures and get dimensions. There have been some rain predictions for the weekend but that seems to be waning. Are there any other items/areas you would like a shot of?
You are right about not needing the outside poles. I use them about half the time but just to stabilize it. The bed will support two people with ease but you need to make sure the support cables are securely attached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke