Thread: Upstate New York Route Ideas - Subaru

Default Upstate New York Route Ideas - Subaru

Hi all - I'm looking to take my stock (albeit with snow tires) Outback on an overland trip. I'm in Rochester, NY and will have about a week off to explore. Trying to stick to as many seasonal/dirt roads as possible, camping along the way. I've been wheeling for a long time (former built XJ guy) so I don't mind pushing the limits of the car a bit, but no legitimate trails please.

Any suggestions are welcome! I'm thinking head east towards the Adirondacks. Currently looking through AndyArthur.org for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle View Post
    Hi all - I'm looking to take my stock (albeit with snow tires) Outback on an overland trip. I'm in Rochester, NY and will have about a week off to explore. Trying to stick to as many seasonal/dirt roads as possible, camping along the way. I've been wheeling for a long time (former built XJ guy) so I don't mind pushing the limits of the car a bit, but no legitimate trails please.

Any suggestions are welcome! I'm thinking head east towards the Adirondacks. Currently looking through AndyArthur.org for tips.
    Not a lot of overlanding routes per se in the Adirondacks. With hunting season in swing, there are a lot of seasonal roads open for hunter access, but most of them only go into the woods for a few miles and then dead-end. There is the Moose River Plains Wild Forest area, but you could probably explore that entire road network in half a day.

If you really want to string together some overlanding routes, check out the Tug Hill or Catskills areas, which are much more permissive with motorized traffic. But again, we're talking about drives that would take a day or two. NY pales in comparison to places like Vermont, Maine, Pennsylvania and Ontario, CA.

I apologize for sounding like the debbie downer, but NY just doesn't have a whole lot to offer for overlanding; I've spent a good amount of time exploring the state.
    2011 4Runner Trail: Stock (Hopefully this changes soon)

You're not a debbie downer at all man - just a realist. I sold my Jeep because I moved up here from Tennessee and found no outlets for it. NY is very lacking with regards to offroading, so I should have figured it would be the same with overlanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle View Post
    You're not a debbie downer at all man - just a realist. I sold my Jeep because I moved up here from Tennessee and found no outlets for it. NY is very lacking with regards to offroading, so I should have figured it would be the same with overlanding.
    There is a lot to do and explore in Ontario, CA (some of those areas are only a few hours away from where you are). As well, there is NH, ME, VT, though such drives would take at least a half day or so to get there. There's a lot to do around NY, you just have to be willing to do a little traveling.

But, yeah, it's kind of sad about NY. The ADK's especially have a lot of old forestry roads that would make for great overlanding routes, but the politics of the state being what they are, vehicular travel isn't allowed on a lot of them. Tug Hill is worth a visit if you ever get a chance.
    Last edited by Dalko43; 10-07-2017 at 11:57 PM.

If you're open to Ontario, I've got GPX files of a 500 mi route through the Ottawa Valley region that would be doable in an Outback, or could at least provide you with a framework to design off of.

Trip Report: QB-5 - Adventuring In Ontario's Backcountry

I went and "explored" around the ADKs this spring.
    Most of the forestry roads were closed for one more week so I just followed what was open. Class 4 access roads mainly. North of lake Luzerne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the saying goes in NY State: If it's fun, then it will be regulated and taxed until its no longer fun or achievable.

Fireworks, home ownership, firearms, pets, off road activities, on road activities, motorcycles.... the list goes on...
    2016 Toyota 4rummer Trail Premium
    2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye
    1993 Porsche 964 RS

Quote Originally Posted by ferg101 View Post
    I went and "explored" around the ADKs this spring.
    Most of the forestry roads were closed for one more week so I just followed what was open. Class 4 access roads mainly. North of lake Luzerne
    There are actually a few old, rugged, forest/class 4 roads throughout the ADK Park; most of them tend to be located on the fringes of the park. The further into the interior you go, the more the roads have been maintained for general public, non-4wd access or they have been gated off all-together. They also get restricted for winter and spring seasons, both to keep the trails suited to snowmobile use and to minimize trail damage during the wet season.

I can't say I've found any routes that can really be strung together into a multi-day overlanding route (most of them are dead-ends), but there are some interesting roads to explore if you know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by jpachard View Post
    I think the saying goes in NY State: If it's fun, then it will be regulated and taxed until its no longer fun or achievable.

Fireworks, home ownership, firearms, pets, off road activities, on road activities, motorcycles.... the list goes on...
    NY is a decent state for outdoor enthusiasts, but yes you're right that the government tends to err on the side of heavy regulation. Upstate culture, especially outside of the regional cities, is very much an agrarian-based, self-sufficient one. NYC's population, and a few pockets in the western cities, vote for politicians and regulations that would otherwise have little tolerance in the rest of the state. It is what it is...I still like what the state has to offer in terms of hunting and camping. NY's public land access is unmatched on the east coast IMHO.