Isuzu vs Canter

gait

Explorer
in my case simply what became available first, there wasn't much second hand choice at the time.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would expect that there are actually more NPS trucks than FG trucks out there. The RFS seems to have a preference for Isuzu over the Fuso.
A possible reason could also be emissions based, as it was 2012 before Fusos came with a DPF, whereas the Isuzu had them after 2007.

Building a camper on the back of a NPS is also less technical, as the later models have a straight chassis, unlike the Fuso that has the step.
I have a FG84 so I can tell you that the internal finish in the same year Isuzu is considerably better and quite a few things are done more logically too. To drive, I think the Fuso is more agricultural, especially when it comes to things like gear changes.
Another thing is spare parts, which are normally much less for the Isuzu. This is a particularly prickly subject for me, as there is no justification for the additional cost of the Fuso parts, given that they are both imported Japanese trucks.

I couldn't find any used NPS/FG at the time I was looking for a truck, so I ended up buying new.
At that time there were not really any "off the shelf" suspension options either, other than the coil conversion that ATW was doing. That was my prime decider for going with the Fuso.

JohnRogers

Observer
cheers for the info, i have 2 of these nps trucks and although ive priced it competitively there seems to be minimal interest. A quick search on Gumtree show 5-6 NPS verses about 15 canters so was just curious. I have owned Mitsubishi trucks in the past and although they did the job seemed a bit C&N whereas my latest tipper an Isuzu seems to be very well built.The scania i had in between was a great truck but having 1.7million on the clock it was tired and parts were expensive.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
what sort of money was the coil conversion?

Over $20K, so not a cheap modification by any shake of the stick, but as I said... at the time there were very few options for a softer ride.
I cannot speak for other suspension modifications, but I have been in another FG84 with the ATW parabolic springs and the ride was similar to mine. Bumps are sharper with the parabolics, but on the highway they are not too different.
The coils on mine are a linear spring, so changing the weight on the back only really affects the ride height, not the ride quality. The parabolics are more weight sensitive and need to be configured for the weight you are carrying to get an optimal ride.
Having said these things, the parabolics are about a third the cost of my coil conversion, but the coils do turn heads. :)

steve66

Observer
Hi John, I've often wondered the same thing. When deciding I looked hard at both, drove both and spoke with a few of the camper builders.

Without wishing to upset anyone, to me it was chalk and cheese, the Isuzu was stronger, had a flat frame, better finish and level of appointment and lots of other minor points. There are quite a few reports of guys cracking the frame on an FG but almost none on an NPS, could be the difference in overall numbers thou.

I looked for 18mths but couldn't find a decent post 2010 single cab 2nd hand, lots of crew cabs out there, so ended up buying new which worked out well as the new model had ABS etc.

I looked at the Iveco as well but felt it was too small for what we wanted, given the issues they are having I don't regret it.

Just another decision in the build process, can't wait for the time when our next decision is which road to take!

Cheers Steve

MarcusBrody

One thing that might influence chatter is that Isuzu doesn't offer a 4x4 option in the US. Your mention of Gumtree leads me to assume your in Australia, but for mentions on an international forum like this not having a 4x4 in a major market probably means less Isuzu builds.

CropDuster

Observer
The RFS seems to have a preference for Isuzu over the Fuso.
A possible reason could also be emissions based, as it was 2012 before Fusos came with a DPF, whereas the Isuzu had them after 2007.
RFS bloke told me the reason they changed to Isuzu was the Fuso model had no low range available at the time they started updating vehicles.
I'm not up to date on what model that was but that was his info.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yep... at the end of 2010 there were no longer any FG84 Canters available, due to end of line models all being sold out (when I bought mine there were only about a dozen left in NSW/Qld). The 2011 tsunami in Japan wiped out one of the Fuso truck factories, which affected the release date of the FGB71.
The first FGB71's were delivered with no low range and it was not until fourth quarter 2012 (if I remember correctly) that the FGB71 was available with a low range transfer case. This left nearly a two year hole where you could not buy a new 4x4 Fuso with low range.
No surprise why the RFS bought NPS trucks at that time... they had no other viable options.

ebbs

Observer
Yep... at the end of 2010 there were no longer any FG84 Canters available, due to end of line models all being sold out (when I bought mine there were only about a dozen left in NSW/Qld). The 2011 tsunami in Japan wiped out one of the Fuso truck factories, which affected the release date of the FGB71.
The first FGB71's were delivered with no low range and it was not until fourth quarter 2012 (if I remember correctly) that the FGB71 was available with a low range transfer case. This left nearly a two year hole where you could not buy a new 4x4 Fuso with low range.
No surprise why the RFS bought NPS trucks at that time... they had no other viable options.
Interesting, so do the new models have low range in Australia? here in the US, we don't get low range... or a manual

unkamonkey

Explorer
Thanks fellers. It makes me happy to have a '94 MF without all of the extra computer junk and DEF. Manual transmission and a low range I have. I may not have the power, speed or fuel mileage that you get but I muddle along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles