Ideas for a family of 4 camper?

I hope I am posting in the correct forums...
After months and months of research, I have gotten just about... nowhere.
What I am trying to do is build a camper for a family of 4. 2 adults and 2 kids, 2 and 5.
I've been researching Sportsmobiles, RVs, trailers, rooftop tents, etc.

Ideally:
Sleeps 4
Need to seats that work safely with carseat installation (ie not sideways, etc.) not going to debate this as I've seen a million times, just want your help with your creative ideas
Needs AC
Maybe a shower. Outdoor is an option
Plus I would enjoy your perspectives on which items you find your family can't live without and which options you might regret installing. Such as many class B RVs have 2 tvs. We almost never watch tv. Don't need one...

Lately, it was looking like buying a Sprinter or Transit and adding either a Sportsmobile or Colorado pop top might fit my constraints. The kids would have a ball sleeping up in the "loft". However, the pop top makes AC tricky. And I just learnt that it can only be installed on short wheelbase versions (thereby limiting my available space).

Any ideas certainly appreciated!! Thanks

dman93

Adventurer
We went through this about 20 years ago, our kids were maybe a few years younger. We had a Vanagon Westfalia poptop, and the kids never wanted to leave the camper. It was fine for sleeping, but, for example, trying to cook with 2 kids underfoot in a 25 sq foot kitchen wasn't fun. So we switched to tent camping out of our SuperCab pickup, and a year later bought a Land Cruiser 80 series. Admittedly this was 2-3 season camping mostly in the Sierras or West Coast, so little rain and not too hot/cold. But we found that a ground tent, camp table, and pop up shelter were much more versatile when combined with a roomy capable SUV. Fast forward to last year, kids grow and gone, so we bought an RTT. Once again, found ourselves too tied to the vehicle ... sold the Tepui and back to a ground tent. Just one perspective, and I do drool over built-out Sprinters ....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does it have to have 4wd? Only reason I ask is because even if your unit has AC you're not going to be able to use it without a generator unless you camp at places that have electrical hookups. And if that's the case then 4wd really isn't neccessary. If you can live with 2wd then your options are much, much greater.
Furthermore by the time you add the pop top and AC unit, you're going to have something that's pretty top heavy, probably too top heavy to go on any kind of 4wd trail anyway. If that's the case, I think a medium sized class B would probably work best. I'm not that familiar with class B's so I'd defer to those that are, but there must be some out there that have true forward-facing DOT-spec seats.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would also ask if it has to be an all-in-one camper. Because there are any number of trailers out there that will fit the bill and they are all over in terms of prices. Divorcing the vehicle from the camper increases your options exponentially. It also gives you the option of having a capable 4wd vehicle for off road + the comfortable, roomy camper that your family needs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My family of 4 two under 8 does best with base camp style trips the constant on the go trips dont go over so well. We do day trips exploring around base camp, which case the trailer approach works well. That and more space. The down side? I like boats, ones you tow.. At some point my rig will be some type of combo that can tow a boat and offer a bunk, but Ill probably have some mini toy hauler/ camper trailer thing that can both haul stuff and offer camp shelter.

Thanks for the insight. Here's the deal, we won't be camping in freezing wx or torrential rains. Not on purpose at least�� It does not have to be 4x4 but I thought, if I am going to spend lots of $$$ shouldn't I spend a little more to have more options? An idea I've also had is to get a Murphy bed and/fold down beds for the kids. I don't know how it works, if it is even practical... I would not want my kids sleeping right above me as it would be very claustrophobic and not sure if there is room to situate their beds in another part of the camper. Also, I have seen some mods where a bed is set up across the front seats but I do not like that idea.
Oi yoi yoi...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think the question here, as with so many other decisions in life, is where are you willing to compromise? A self-contained RV like a motor home, van, etc, is a combination of a house and a car, and the dilemma is that many of the requirements for a house and a car are contradictory. For example, you want the "house" portion to be roomy, but from the "car" perspective, the bigger you get, the more difficult it is to move around, and the fewer places you can go. So you either compromise by minimizing your inside space to give you a smaller package, and accept that you may not get all the "amenities" you desire, or you compromise the other way and get a bigger, taller vehicle and accept that there are places you just aren't going to be able to go with it.
As Calicamper stated above, the vehicle + trailer option comes with its own compromises but also has some significant advantages. As he stated, you can use the trailer for a "base camp" while still retaining the mobility of a passenger-type vehicle. It also lets you tailor your vehicle selection to one that supports your recreational lifestyle, i.e. pickup, van or SUV. The downside of the trailer is size and weight, maneuverability, etc.
If there was a "perfect" choice out there that hit all your requirements, you'd likely have found it by now. So it's really about where you're willing to compromise.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Our setup for the last 6 yrs has been a lifetime tent trailer. Two queen sized bunks with a 4x6 floor on a trailer thats 5.5wide at the fenders and 12ft long end to end 900lbs empty. Its great, but the setup time sucks. We only typically camp between March 1st and at the latest early /mid November. But a hard side low roof line pop top like a vmi or custom built lowhauler with a tip up roof, bunks up top for kids and bunks below fir parents, slide out kitchen out of the side up front. This setup would offer fast setup, more weather capability, with lower bunk folded up lots of secure gear storage, it would still retain a reasonable sized towing footprint and ease of storage etc.

I think trailers 6ft and under regarding width and between 12-16ft end to end long still remain reasonably easy to travel with regarding limited space parking, etc. assuming your not towing with a F350 liong bed crew cab thats 30ft long.

We use our Subaru outback for local trips and our gen1 Sequoia on longer trips both with the 12ft trailer easily fit into small sites and are easy to park in busy towns etc. This small footprint has been key to being able to go pretty much anywhere without problems. Size is a problem these days with crowded campgrounds, towns etc.

MOguy

Explorer
Calicamper brings up some very good points about size and weight.

As a person who camps and has a family of 4 what I can tell you with 100% certainty is your kids will get bigger (and you might too). If you go just big enough for now it will probably be too small soon.

When we camp we like to check out the area. A motorhome/van style set up would suck for us. Get a trailer set up. I have had a few trailer over the year and we like the hybrid style. Plenty of room opened up and light weight for towing, our is 2400lbs empty. We can be unhooked, have the tents and awning setup and even the fire light in 10 minutes or less. The trailer box is about 17 foot folded up and about 24ft open. If you are going to more primitive or "off-raod" sights I would not recommend this.

For tow vehicles I had a and older Grand Cherokee, worthless piece of crap for a tow vehicle but ok off road, a stock 4Runner which is fine for lighter off-roading but easily modified to make it more capable. Now we have a GMC Acadia Denali which is very very comfortable. The Acadia is better tow rig then the 4Runner or Grand (4Runner was good enough) but nothing to consider if you plan on going over anything rougher than a maintained dirt road. Our Acadia is all wheel drive but no more capable off road then most cars.

254389_608679912480371_905135645_n.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When we camp we like to check out the area. A motorhome/van style set up would suck for us.
I have to second this. Sometimes when we camp we see other campers with motor homes or class B conversions and we realize that every time they need to go to the grocery store or go sight-seeing, they have to pack up their camp, and then when they get back they have to set it up again. With us having a trailer we can set it up and leave it set up until we're ready to pack up and go to our next destination. It does change the "style" of camping for us but I think for a family of 4, that's more than likely what you'd be doing anyway.
FWIW, the 20' and under travel trailer category has been booming for years. There are a lot of options out there, many of them under 3000lbs. Nearly all have interior toilet/showers, air conditioning and heating, and running water. From there you can pretty much find anything to suit your specific needs, be it ultra-light off-road capable or super-luxury.

MOguy

Explorer
The biggest thing I noticed when I was looking at campers is when you cross over about the 3K mark is the size of the water and holding tanks. If you are camping for long periods of time and don't have frequent access to fresh water or to dump your holding tanks you may have to go with a heavier trailer. If this isn't an issue getting a lighter trailer is nice. You need a smaller tow rig and it is easier to get around.

We just came back yesterday from a weekend of camping. There were quit a few on the road with full size half ton truck and bigger trailers, crawling up the hills and wearing out their truck. DON'T BE THAT GUY!! Get a vehicle that is more than capable of towing you camper.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The livinlite bunk bed 16footer is one we have seen a couple of times with a family of 4 all of them have had great things to say about it. My only hang up is I like having multi use trailers a true RV trailer will sit for months unused. That and being able to toss boats (short ones) bikes etc in the trailer is really attractive to me.

The comment about tow car is important especially if you do long tarmac stretches. Our gen 1 Sequoia 4.7 v8 is no super hauler big v8 but any stable trailer in the 2000-3000lbs loaded is something it can haul at 70-75mph all day. My little 4x6 isnt even notced we dragged that across NV Idaho to Yellow Stone tank averages of 15mpg running 70-80mph. My 2.5L Subaru easily does the haul on shorter less packed trips 65-70mph at 18-21mpg depending if we have bikes on the roof.

MOguy

Explorer
The livinlite bunk bed 16footer is one we have seen a couple of times with a family of 4 all of them have had great things to say about it. My only hang up is I like having multi use trailers a true RV trailer will sit for months unused. That and being able to toss boats (short ones) bikes etc in the trailer is really attractive to me.

The comment about tow car is important especially if you do long tarmac stretches. Our gen 1 Sequoia 4.7 v8 is no super hauler big v8 but any stable trailer in the 2000-3000lbs loaded is something it can haul at 70-75mph all day. My little 4x6 isnt even notced we dragged that across NV Idaho to Yellow Stone tank averages of 15mpg running 70-80mph. My 2.5L Subaru easily does the haul on shorter less packed trips 65-70mph at 18-21mpg depending if we have bikes on the roof.

With my hybrid I can fold down the front tent, unzip it and slide in kayaks.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another option for boats might be either a pop up or a hardsided pop up (A-liner type.) I've seen these trailers with small boats strapped to the top of them.

As a plus they're easier to tow due to less wind resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles