Lowest profile RTT mounting?

spagthorpe

Observer
I've added a Rhino Rack to my Jeep, but I haven't been completely happy with the Pioneer Platform. I take a pretty good mileage hit with it, and it's also noisy. It's also a little heavy, which is just going to add to the RTT weight. The only reason I even got it was to mount a RTT on, but I'm starting to question if this is the best option. I was planning on using a James Baroud clamshell tent. Maybe there is a better option for mounting?

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I run a RhinoRack platform with my JB tent up there, notice a small chance in mileage but nothing drastic (when the tent is up there, I see a difference). I agree that you can shave a few pounds by running bars instead of the platform, but I opted to stick with the platform since I hoist the tent off when not in use.

You could add a wind fairing if the noise is bothering you, I've had luck doing that with other racks in the past but don't run one now.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got XJ Cherokee racks on both my LJ and my JKU, and I use Surco rack channel adapters to mount the crossbars for my RTT. Pretty low profile, no wind noise from the rack or rack bars.

SurcoAdapters.jpg

RTTFinal6_zpsyoyxa4jz.jpg

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

The racks on both of my Jeeps have brackets to support the weight on the roll bar, so no stress is placed on the fiberglass top. You'd want to do the same on a factory hardtop. Here's a recent thread describing roll bar support for a rack on a factory hardtop: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/176257-Minimalist-JKU-roof-rack

Last edited:
Kargo Master rack has interior brackets and supports that take the full load. Rails have different adapters for different applications. Only about 1.5” off the top. Zero wind noise and no effect on mileage. I take the crossbar supports off when not using but platform stays on jeep. Roof is also fully removable and only takes about 5 extra minutes by removing 4 bolts. Also has one of the best static and non static weight capacities.
5f0fac05e07611a702b685661840b596.png

d3e59ca7f349a973ca4b383c6061bf6e.jpg

spagthorpe

Observer
This is on a JKU. Rhino Rack also has the internal supports in the back, and utilizes both the back rollbar and forward part of the Jeep for support as well. The whole thing is supposed to be good for 800lbs. I might try just going with bars on the tent, but the advantage of the Pioneer platform is that it would make mounting an awning a lot easier. The weight for what is basically covered up sucks though.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I've been tinkering with the same concerns for a year or two (meaning that I've dumped thousands of dollars into proposed solutions). Bottom line, is that adding anything to the top of your Jeep (rack & or RTT) is going to dramatically change the fuel economy and ride dynamics involved. It will also be noisy, no matter what. At first you will think that these changes suck. You must embrace the suck!

Have you removed the top from your JK for a trip? Try it and you will notice that it feels much more "sporty" and agile. On a two door that top weighs less than 100 lbs. Put that top back on, add a 75 lb rack, then a 150 lb RTT....the "sporty" is gone and then some.

The best money spent will be upgraded suspension and anti-sway hardware. When I had an RTT and Slimline II rack on the worn-out stock suspension, driving my Jeep was scary. It simply ruined road trips. My Jeep used to be all about the journey. With a rack & RTT, you need to be looking forward to the destination, because the journey is going to involve keeping both hands on the wheel when you hit frost heaves. White-knuckled terror. :)

Not really, my JK is tolerable now. I went with an AEV suspension, but I suspect that an OME overland kit would be a better choice. If adding a 75 lb rack was enough to suck some joy out of driving your JK...any RTT (plus the rack weight) is likely to kill that joy entirely. I really don't think that lowering your rooftop gear by 1.5 or 2 inches will make any difference.

Ultimately, having an RTT on a JK means that you will be driving no more than 65 MPH in any conditions that are less then ideal. Frost heaves will scare you. You will need to keep two hands on the wheel at all times and you will probably be getting appr. 16 MPG on average. Others may report different experiences, but adding a rack and/or RTT will change your JK. There is no "magic solution".

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been tinkering with the same concerns for a year or two (meaning that I've dumped thousands of dollars into proposed solutions). Bottom line, is that adding anything to the top of your Jeep (rack & or RTT) is going to dramatically change the fuel economy and ride dynamics involved. It will also be noisy, no matter what. At first you will think that these changes suck. You must embrace the suck!

I'm sorry you've had unpleaseant experience with your roof rack and RTT. My experience differs - "dramatic" is not the word I would use to describe the changes my loaded roof rack makes to either my JK or my LJ, on the road or on the trail. I regularly make 75+ mph runs on the interstate from NY to Colorado or Utah with a loaded rack, noise increase is slight and certainly not objectionable . Fuel mileage drops by at most 2mpg with the largest loads (fuel mileage may drop more if you've got 3.21 gears and large tires, both my my Jeeps have 3.73's and 32's). I haven't had any issues on the trail either, and my rack + load often weighs 150 lbs or more. I am mindful that there's a load up there in off-camber situations, but I've never felt serious extra risk due to the load.

Pictures of both of my Jeeps with the RTT mounted are earlier in this thread, here are a few more "loaded rack" photos.

McClellanMountain2_zpsiz70qbqf.jpg

CarsonDescent.jpg

RackQueenBed1_zpszj4s8znt.jpg

Oskipoo

Not Mechanically Inclined
I have virtually no added noise with my rhino rack and a xl thule cargo box on top, and no change in mileage. But the jeep is so loud stock, that maybe i dont hear a difference. I did hear a difference when i had my light bar, now that was unbearable!

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I've added a Rhino Rack to my Jeep, but I haven't been completely happy with the Pioneer Platform. I take a pretty good mileage hit with it, and it's also noisy. It's also a little heavy, which is just going to add to the RTT weight. The only reason I even got it was to mount a RTT on, but I'm starting to question if this is the best option. I was planning on using a James Baroud clamshell tent. Maybe there is a better option for mounting?

Are you saying it effected mileage and noise when unloaded? That really surprises me. I have the AEV version, which is basically the same thing with different mounting and I have not noticed an increase in noise or decrease in mileage unloaded.

MattJ

Adventurer
I bolted my Tepui tent directly onto my Rhino Rack platform. I made sure to use a bolt configuration that is perfectly square, so I can rotate the tent open to the side or the rear of the Jeep. I have an AEV 3.5" DualSport SC suspension and a windshield light bar. I agree with jscherb and cruise on the highway at 75mph very comfortably without much impact on fuel economy or wind noise. But my rig only has 4,500 miles on it, so I suspect the steering feel and fuel economy performance to decline over time.

y4m5qHpVjOZkvBmHRrszValWnQqYSOhCr6rjygiNp1niIpRXCQVmVIRSP4_jcmrw-ApCfX-CT-5qHMxa7vdxgbw4Xb03XmWWLNwNM-gYvc9MQMUbEwaWqaLCzfcnXZb_xRlOcCpxarGw1gl6ZVWFaKmCHyz4NXICccb8NLwU0PMqVfCILSI1QRzoh7ZZq9pYsgxQWJ0C0y_BJEJT9OMmDsNvA

Here are some older photos from when I was testing the ability to switch the direct-mount configurations between the side and rear:

y4mbacMNTP6teNvjg7SRz38FSFEOr9DAZKnzs4lESwM0ZijacNdX4aEKCzGiVr9qr5nEiclGSfHGgxQTREZe4Ed014orC9lHOCVz-e1kqYAyDQXKYFRcrlTGcbcQpP9jq9kQJLOM7GO3Wc2FJhxSLN0l7Rf8xEt5G1ipU_QxysUWY5UhnUvxpqAOR9daLThMOm0p4EMsRlwWm8grg1bE5CfBA

y4mJn30479z-bAC4M-KFlHT5xacHHN_0dHhQP3cwnkxq3jz_-mkpR5-yEe-agSrxuX_9tgL4UCvpFJjQ65Bg5ihyKGEk917sBDqPrvR7ACF_CR8IYaXrw52k4TYmlUKR5bFNLE81kpU_U9npJB3WSyQYPiduq2MgkXj74CZVOw9pqoRJYCY9ZzUjpuGCuWoNQ10KQCxGyL_Cl3N5DxXTEVlQQ

Last edited:

Justincredible

Adventurer
Olympic nice and easy bars. Mount that bad boy right on top of the factory roll bars.

You'll have to go without a top, but the tent will act as the roof, so that's a small price to pay for low profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior