MB trucks info needed

Erik Ruban

Hello travelers.

I'm in a search for my dream truck. Unfortunately I can't find much information about LK series trucks. So I have a few questions which I hope you can answer.

1. Are all of the 1017 full time 4x4 or some of them can switch to 4x2. If so how can we make the difference?
2. Which models are 4x2 and 4x4.
3 When the central diff is locked is the low gearing automatically switched ,or you can choose.
4. All of the 4x4 models have rear and central diff lock?
5. How many different wheelbases exist. I can see 1619AK is shorter than the most.
6. What do you think about om364LA engine in 500Nm variant. Is it weak for an expedition truck? It can be easily equipped with bigger turbocharger and produce better results.
7. Anybody measured the weight of his/her truck? Naked - the cab and the chassis only without the cabin.
8. Is it possible to change the front differential with a locking diff? If so which model is used?
9 Do you know the clearance under the lowest point of the diff? With which tire size is it measured?

Thank you in advance. Best wishes to all and keep enough pressure between you and the asphalt.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
See below. I am a new owner, so take the info with a reasonable amount of doubt.
The info below is related to the NG series since you mentioned '1017' The LK series is the 'older series' of trucks (round nose) (pre-dates the 1017, but production overlaps)
Model designations are the first 1 or 2 numbers are the weight category in tons, second 2 numbers are horsepower. So a 1017 is 10 tons, 170 hp, a 914 is 9 tons 140 hp
after those numbers, letter(s) indicate: A-all-wheel drive, B-concrete mixer, F-firetruck, K-dumptruck, KO-municipal, S-tractor truck. 'A' can be before any of the other letters to indicate all-wheel drive.
I'm sure more informed operators will help out.

Hello travelers.

I'm in a search for my dream truck. Unfortunately I can't find much information about LK series trucks. So I have a few questions which I hope you can answer.
1017s are the NG series
1. Are all of the 1017 full time 4x4 or some of them can switch to 4x2. If so how can we make the difference?
If the truck is equipped with locking differential(s) it is full-time 4x4 in road mode and 4x4+low range in off-road, if not equipped then 2x4 in normal 'road' mode, and 4x4+low range in off-road
2. Which models are 4x2 and 4x4.
A after 1017 indicates "Allrad" (off-road or 4 wheel drive)
3 When the central diff is locked is the low gearing automatically switched ,or you can choose.
Yes, 4 wheel drive and low range go together, no separate selection for low range.
4. All of the 4x4 models have rear and central diff lock?
No, locks are an option. Most of the military ones had rear locks, my 'firetruck' (so a 1017AF) has no lockers. You would have to check each truck you look at to see if it has the selector(s) and indicator light(s) for 'lockers'.
5. How many different wheelbases exist. I can see 1619AK is shorter than the most.
AK= All-wheel drive Dump Truck
6. What do you think about om364LA engine in 500Nm variant. Is it weak for an expedition truck? It can be easily equipped with bigger turbocharger and produce better results.
My 1017 has the OM365A engine rated at 168 hp and is underpowered for me (USA, land of 400 hp+ pick-up trucks). It will cruise at 55 mph (with the large 46" tires) but is down in the 40 mph or less going up hills. This is on an empty truck (triple cab, fire back with everything removed). My understanding is the LK series with the OM364 is a 45 mph truck on the flats. So a 'dream' Mercedes would be at least a xx24 truck IMO
7. Anybody measured the weight of his/her truck? Naked - the cab and the chassis only without the cabin.
My friend's 1017A (ex-military, single cab, 4x4) cab and chassis only (no bed, no rear body etc) was 11,500 pounds
8. Is it possible to change the front differential with a locking diff? If so which model is used?
1017s were available with front locking diffs. So you could use a factory unit. Of course you would have to add the selector, air lines, etc
9 Do you know the clearance under the lowest point of the diff? With which tire size is it measured?
14 inches with 395/85-20 (46") XML tires (not a 'factory' size).
Thank you in advance. Best wishes to all and keep enough pressure between you and the asphalt.
click to enlarge
VG500-3W-manual.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles