Taxa Wooly Bear

We recently purchased at Wooly Bear trailer from Road Trip Camping in Virginia, we love it. Most importantly the wife loves it even more than I do!

Below is a link to our walk around video from Expo East 2017.

We will be modifying the trailer over the winter and will continue to post updates.

Last edited:

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Thank you for posting this.

The North American XJ Association (NAXJA) is about to take possession of this same unit, which we will be raffling off at our event in Moab in October 2018. Your build has been inspiring to our plans.

The North American XJ Association (NAXJA) is about to take possession of this same unit, which we will be raffling off at our event in Moab in October 2018. Your build has been inspiring to our plans.

Awesome! We love ours, let us know if you have any questions. I wish I could be the lucky winner of the raffle.

bald.eagle

Observer
Looks like a killer trailer! Having the wife on board definitely makes things easier- I'm working on making our setup better tailored to my wife and kids' comfort, with the aim of getting them out in the woods more often!

Where in VA are you guys located? Would be cool to check out your setup sometime. We're down in VA Beach.

bueller44

Great video and walk around! Thanks for some of those ideas. I need to find some plastic bins for my kitchen and pantry area like you have.
Where do you put your propane tank? Mine is in the open storage area, but I really want to mount it somewhere on the trailer. Have you looked at any nose boxes?

Last question, my hitch is the normal one for a 2" ball. It's welded on. Did you have yours cut off and then the articulating one welded on?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
82e0986055950c8b8b4443b30d08110e.jpg
9b8ac4ca3425376fb853d18c48866540.jpg

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Does your awning frame just stay there, or is it collapsible?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks like a killer trailer! Having the wife on board definitely makes things easier- I'm working on making our setup better tailored to my wife and kids' comfort, with the aim of getting them out in the woods more often!

Where in VA are you guys located? Would be cool to check out your setup sometime. We're down in VA Beach.

Awesome! We purchased this trailer because it had a kitchen that made my wife happy.

We're in Northern Virginia so a good 4hrs away from VB. Your welcome to check out the trailer if you're in the area.

Great video and walk around! Thanks for some of those ideas. I need to find some plastic bins for my kitchen and pantry area like you have.
Where do you put your propane tank? Mine is in the open storage area, but I really want to mount it somewhere on the trailer. Have you looked at any nose boxes?

Last question, my hitch is the normal one for a 2" ball. It's welded on. Did you have yours cut off and then the articulating one welded on?
Thanks

82e0986055950c8b8b4443b30d08110e.jpg
9b8ac4ca3425376fb853d18c48866540.jpg

My wife found the bins at target.

My propane is mounted on my 4runner, I simply unstrap it and put it next to the kitchen.

I cut the ball hitch with a grinder and then bolted the lock n roll on onto the frame. I think it took one hour to install including painting ground down welds.

I am very interested in your Awning set up, do you mind posting some details. How the rack is made and assembled, how it attached to the roof rack and awning, and why awning you are using?

Last edited:

bueller44

Thanks for answering My questions.
I just installed the awning today. It is from www.shadyboy.com
Parts are built in the USA and assembled in Vancouver Canada.
The awning cover is 49" in total length. And when opened it is 10' wide and 6' deep. I had the aluminum rack custom built at a local weld shop. I then bolted it to the WB deck. It's 1.25" square tube and the sliding part is 1" square tube.
I'll powder coat it this winter to match the black deck. I had it made so that the cross bar that the awning is mounted to can slide in tight for travel and then be moved out when in camp to fit around the tent. I did discover today that rain still runs down the tent onto the kitchen area. Need to figure that out.
The awning can be used without poles or guide lines, if it's not windy.
Here are a few more pics.
0600d66cb10daabc2a3def0b92d29ed9.jpg
ef3620eafbcc9d9f32d9ff85e285ae5a.jpg
bb6843cbbe48fcdc3c24c89b3de1148e.jpg
b1498c1cd79673436895fac4e847e964.jpg
867382195dee2233e0216609f7bda177.jpg
6fc04c8c20743f19e457ba8061d11a9f.jpg
58c471f796e296c863ea633af43ea0e8.jpg
5e02eff1005c3175848d998b53456a6e.jpg
b5e8ec7d40c7493090a41ca45e2cafa0.jpg
6d7e824fc2242e397cded1ba92a848b5.jpg
09fa27bf2cb5d22f0d3c58c9ff81e061.jpg

I can also use the rack for kayaks or SUP boards. I think I may wire some lights to it as well. Set up at 11 pm in the dark last night. Some led work lights would be great.
I notice you have a bigger tent than mine so you have less deck space. One option would be to raise the tent up about 16" on something similar, but I thought that would be too top heavy. I know taxa is coming up with something for the 2018 WB for an awning. Maybe it will be attachable to a 2017?

Thanks for answering My questions.
I just installed the awning today. It is from www.shadyboy.com
Parts are built in the USA and assembled in Vancouver Canada.
The awning cover is 49" in total length. And when opened it is 10' wide and 6' deep. I had the aluminum rack custom built at a local weld shop. I then bolted it to the WB deck. It's 1.25" square tube and the sliding part is 1" square tube.
I'll powder coat it this winter to match the black deck. I had it made so that the cross bar that the awning is mounted to can slide in tight for travel and then be moved out when in camp to fit around the tent. I did discover today that rain still runs down the tent onto the kitchen area. Need to figure that out.
The awning can be used without poles or guide lines, if it's not windy.
Here are a few more pics.

I can also use the rack for kayaks or SUP boards. I think I may wire some lights to it as well. Set up at 11 pm in the dark last night. Some led work lights would be great.
I notice you have a bigger tent than mine so you have less deck space. One option would be to raise the tent up about 16" on something similar, but I thought that would be too top heavy. I know taxa is coming up with something for the 2018 WB for an awning. Maybe it will be attachable to a 2017?

Super cool! I wonder if a fabric gutter could be attached to our rain fly's to direct the water away from the kitchen...

wandererr

Adventurer

Damn... so it looks like I will have to buy some raffle tickets after all...
Wandererr... aka Kejtar ;)

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Firstly, when the ticket sales begin, we are going to be selling them in person at a number of events, as well as a link on line to purchase. You will have a shot.

Secondly, anyone know for certain what the lug pattern is on this trailer? How big of tires could you feasibly get under it?

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Firstly, when the ticket sales begin, we are going to be selling them in person at a number of events, as well as a link on line to purchase. You will have a shot.

Secondly, anyone know for certain what the lug pattern is on this trailer? How big of tires could you feasibly get under it?

Looked at one at a dealer in Nc, IIRC they are 5×4.5 No clue if you could go up on the tire. From what I remember looking at one I would say it's probably maxed unless you want to start moving the fenders around.

I know you can fit 235/75/15. You can easily put a lift on the axel by purchasing a #9 axel lift from dexter axel which will give you a additional 2.63” which should be enough for 33” tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles