iKamper Skycamp initial thoughts and observations

krax

Adventurer
Very cool. Good to see that they're not resting on their laurels.

I had heard that the iKampers didn't have as much room inside for bedding as some others. Can you speak to that?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Very cool. Good to see that they're not resting on their laurels.

I had heard that the iKampers didn't have as much room inside for bedding as some others. Can you speak to that?

If you keep the thin stock mattress you’d have plenty of room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a little video on what I did to fix the mattress on my Ikamper SkyCamp ( I mention the model because they have a couple, this is the one most people know from kickstarter.

I am about to embark on a 16 day trip sleeping solely in the RTT, I will leave my review after that. So far in my 8 months of ownership I am very happy with it. I am also the kind of guy that always makes improvements to functionality on things I purchase.

HERE is a link to the video.

We just wrapped up our first season in the ikamper. Positives out weighting the negatives. My biggest complaint is not being able to properly vent the tent, especially with the annex attached. We got at least 2 nights of heavy rain in the CO mountains. Tent held up well but I was unable to figure out a good way to vent without letting the rain in with teh cool air.

We just wrapped up our first season in the ikamper. Positives out weighting the negatives. My biggest complaint is not being able to properly vent the tent, especially with the annex attached. We got at least 2 nights of heavy rain in the CO mountains. Tent held up well but I was unable to figure out a good way to vent without letting the rain in with teh cool air.

I expressed those concerns to the local dealer here close to Denver. He said placing something like a foam workout/yoga block between the top cover and inner tent above the door helps air flow. Have you tried that? I just purchased the new 2.0 version after checking them out in person and I can't wait to try it out next month.

ttengineer

Adventurer
That’s a huge issue with most tents in my opinion.

James Baroud seems to be the only company out there actively addressing that issue.

If the team over at iKamper would do a few simple design changes it would be the best tent on the market by leaps and bounds.

1. The addition of the “awning” covers over the side windows in the 2.0 edition is a big first step, but it does no good unless the plastic and black out shade open downward.

2. A much thicker mattress is desperately needed.

3. Install a fan similar to the JB solar one for inclement weather venting.

4. Need to be able to use the shade awning or annex without the use of the rain fly.

That’s a huge issue with most tents in my opinion.

James Baroud seems to be the only company out there actively addressing that issue.

If the team over at iKamper would do a few simple design changes it would be the best tent on the market by leaps and bounds.

1. The addition of the “awning” covers over the side windows in the 2.0 edition is a big first step, but it does no good unless the plastic and black out shade open downward.

2. A much thicker mattress is desperately needed.

3. Install a fan similar to the JB solar one for inclement weather venting.

4. Need to be able to use the shade awning or annex without the use of the rain fly.

1. I'm guessing you're referring to keeping the outside closed and inside open for air flow? The outside flap extends further than the inside so there are options there (This was shown to me when I asked about ventilation during rain/snow) but I would agree zipper down inside would be ideal. When I use mine I will play with that more and let you know.
2. The 2.0 mattress is thicker. The main issue with mattress thickness in the iKamper is fitting it closed. They would have to make the roof deeper to accommodate a bigger mattress which would make it taller and less aerodynamic. Give and take a little there. I haven't tried mine real world yet to see if I need to make the mattress more comfortable.
3. JB NEEDS a fan because all of the air gets trapped in the hardtop roof with nowhere to go. The iKamper roof is breathable especially if you place a barrier between the inside and the outer rainfly which I think they should consider that in their design. A fan however would be a nice to have on the iKamper but i'm not sure how they would implement it.
4. They make a summer mesh tent if you're referring to hot summer camping and it works with the annex. It still requires the rain fly but may fit the use case for you. IMO having the annex attach to the rain fly is a plus since it keeps the weather out.

shoredreamer

Observer
I’ve been using the insulation layer all winter down to 5 degrees on one night with my family of four and we have had much less condensation on the walls of the iKamper. It also does keep it warmer which is the main objective of it, but less condensation is a plus too.

I’ve thought of clamping a battery powered fan to the 1” curved bar on the ceiling of the tent aiming it towards the skylight to see what it does too.

I’ve been using the insulation layer all winter down to 5 degrees on one night with my family of four and we have had much less condensation on the walls of the iKamper. It also does keep it warmer which is the main objective of it, but less condensation is a plus too.

I’ve thought of clamping a battery powered fan to the 1” curved bar on the ceiling of the tent aiming it towards the skylight to see what it does too.

That's consistent with what I was told as well. Basically air gaps / layers is key which is why you see many of the winter base camps have two layers. Do you already create an air gap between the rain fly and interior?

Just got back from a long weekend in Moab. Temps were 30-70 deg. Very little condensation seen on the clear roof window after a night in the cold temps and all closed up. Overall very happy with how comfortable we were. Last year we used a crappy ground tent and were freezing.

unsung

Bumping/

Trying to decide between this and the Alu-Cab. Really like the idea of being able to mount solar panels on the Alu-Cab, and like the annex on the iKamper.

dstock

Explorer
Bumping/

Trying to decide between this and the Alu-Cab. Really like the idea of being able to mount solar panels on the Alu-Cab, and like the annex on the iKamper.

I've always found portable solar panels are more effective because you can move them as the sun moves. I usually try to park in the shade since our fridge is in our vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles