Experience with 2wd difflock?

Norush

Hi all,

I am currently looking at a mercedes 310 westfalia campervan with a difflock, does this have any real effect or is it not worth it?

Theoretician

Adventurer
Grab every traction aid you can. A single diff lock may not be quite as capable as a part-time 4wd system, but it's a hell of a lot better than an open diff.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Grab every traction aid you can. A single diff lock may not be quite as capable as a part-time 4wd system, but it's a hell of a lot better than an open diff.

Amen to that.

I have a 2016 F150 4x4 with the factory difflock. Not long ago I was traveling down a remote two-track when i came upon a tall berm of sand/gravel that had been deposited (washed down) diagonally across the road from the nearby mountainside. I eased across it but soon found myself with one front tire and the opposite side rear tire just about hanging in the air and forward progress stopped. Engaging the rear locker was all it took to get over the berm.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Amen to that.

I have a 2016 F150 4x4 with the factory difflock. Not long ago I was traveling down a remote two-track when i came upon a tall berm of sand/gravel that had been deposited (washed down) diagonally across the road from the nearby mountainside. I eased across it but soon found myself with one front tire and the opposite side rear tire just about hanging in the air and forward progress stopped. Engaging the rear locker was all it took to get over the berm.

Yeah, a cross-axle situation requires either fancy driving, good line selection, and room to maneuver or it requires a locker. A locker is an easy solution. Another nice case for a locker is on muddy trails (not a bog) where other vehicles have made some ruts. If those ruts weren't made by a vehicle with a similar track width or you manage to get into the ruts cockeyed then you'll have one drive wheel that isn't in a rut and therefore probably has some traction.

A locker generally doesn't help when crossing water or bogs though, where the greater distance between the drives wheels in a 4x4 comes into play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior