Transmission output seal leak on 2007 FG?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Anyone experienced this? Seems like the oil that was in my transmission is now in my transfer case. 2007 FG, manual transmission, 80/90 in both. First indication of the problem was oil pouring out the rear output seal on the transfer case. When I pulled the transfer case fill plug (not the drain plug) a large amount of fluid poured out, so I think the transfer case was completely full of oil and then when it expanded as it heated it pushed past the rear seal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Transfer case can't pressurize unless the breather is blocked. The breather for the gearbox and transfer case are joined together on top of the gearbox (T-piece) and runs up to the rear of the engine near the fuel filter (on 2000 model). Believe the same on later models. Yes the seal can leak between gearbox and transfer case but that shouldn't make the rear seal leak as oil is normally above that height anyway. They do sometimes leak on their own into the handbrake.
It will be a job replacing the in between seal but can be done without removing the gearbox and just splitting off the transfer case. That is how I have done all the work on our transfer case gears, just sitting under there and working on them.

Dan.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Transfer case can't pressurize unless the breather is blocked. The breather for the gearbox and transfer case are joined together on top of the gearbox (T-piece) and runs up to the rear of the engine near the fuel filter (on 2000 model). Believe the same on later models. Yes the seal can leak between gearbox and transfer case but that shouldn't make the rear seal leak as oil is normally above that height anyway. They do sometimes leak on their own into the handbrake.
It will be a job replacing the in between seal but can be done without removing the gearbox and just splitting off the transfer case. That is how I have done all the work on our transfer case gears, just sitting under there and working on them.

Dan.

Yeah good point on checking the breather, need to figure out where it is located I guess! The rear transfer case seal doesn't seem to be leaking now that it isn't pressurized, but if I have to pull it apart I imagine I will replace it just for completeness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne