Project: Outlaw III

arb098

Adventurer
Howdy, folks! Long time creeper, occasional poster here. I figured it was time to join the ranks of you regulars and make an actual build thread. Project Outlaw III started out with us just needing a good, cheap 4x4 to carry us from our little home Tennessee all the way down to Argentina, but it’s turning into so much more. A little background on me, and then I’ll jump into the build. I come from a long line of 4x4 mechanics, most of whom specialized in highly modified Jeeps build for rock crawling and hill climbs. My uncle, one of the few still around to continue the tradition, just finished up a fully customized CJ7 for the SEMA show at the end of the month, and let me tell you, it’s a beauty. If any of y’all are attending, make sure you swing by and say “Hi” to the guys with Man Cave Designs and check out the Renegade III Jeep. Anyway, he’s agreed to give me a hand with the upgrades and modifications, as he doesn’t want my fiancé and I to tackle our upcoming trip in an unprepared vehicle.

On to the vehicle! We looked at several before settling on the Montero. We need something that was reliable, capable off road, comfortable on the highway, and within our fairly tight budget. It ultimately came down to 4 choices: Isuzu Trooper, Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Wagoneer, and Mitsubishi Montero. We had our hearts set on a LC to begin with, but we were unable to find one with in our budget that didn’t have 300,000 miles on it, rust riddled frame, or a completely trashed drive train. Not to mention, the FJ80, the cheaper option, isn’t the most gas friendly vehicle, so we ruled it out. We ruled the Wagoneers out for pretty much the same reasons as the LC – we wanted more than 8 feet per gallon. The Trooper was the most economical in both MPG and base price. Plus, my fiancé’s parents gave us a ’95 Trooper with a blown engine for free. However, it had been sitting for almost 8 years and would take a lot to make it reliable again; plus, it was an automatic. The Montero’s seemed like the best of everything – no real reliability issues if you got the right year, ridiculously comfortable on the highway, and very capable of the road; plus, they’re as a big as a cave on the inside.

So, we narrowed it down to the Trooper that we owned and finding a good deal on a Montero. When we’d resolved to just fix the Trooper and take it, life decided to throw us a nice curveball in the form of my fiancé’s Outback slinging its timing belt. So, we were in desperate need of a vehicle when this Monty just magically fell into our laps. I went and picked up my fiancé from my parents, where we had her Outback towed, and decided to check out Craigslist on the way back. Low and behold, a new Montero had appeared on the scene. It had a decent description, but no pictures, so I was skeptical. Something told me to reach out, though, and at least check it out. Turned out to be the best deal. It was owned by a single mother who had to upgrade to a minivan. It’d been sitting for a few months, but she’d gone out once a week and driven it around the block. She was selling it to clear up some room in the driveway, and, I quote, “figured if someone wanted it, they’d ask for pictures.” We drove up the next day and checked it out. Only issues it had were body wise were she’d backed into the door with her ex-husband’s truck and put a nice ding in the body cladding with the hitch. She even had a full brake job done, rotors, calipers, and all, and a new tie rod ends put in before we left with it. We walked away with the cleanest vehicle I think I’ve ever owned for $2,000.

Now that we got the vehicle, we need to make some upgrades! The ultimate goal of the build is to make it our own little mobile home for the long trip to Argentina. We will be doing everything to make it as reliable and comfortable as possible. The list of mods that we’ll be doing are bellow as well as maintenance done. If you guys have any suggestions on where to source some of these harder-to-find parts, let me know. Also, if you guys have any suggestions on the overall build, I’d love to hear them!

Project: Outlaw III

Budget: $8,000

Vehicle: 2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited -- $2,000

Specs: 3.8L V6, Selectable 4x4 w/ center & rear locking diffs

Miles: 165,000

Known Issues:

• Loose Heatshield (I hope)
• Small rust spot on back hatch
• Evap Emissions Sensor throwing code (P0455)
• Will need tires relatively soon
• Parking brake needs tightening

Maintenance done:

• Full oil change with high mileage synthetic
• Full timing belt job done at 164,000 miles
• Cam seals changed
• Crank seals changed
• All around brake job
• Serpentine belt changed
• Diagnosed Misfire
• Replaced Coils, Plugs, and Wires

Maintenance TBD:

• Transmission/Transfer Case Flush
• Radiator Flush
• Differential Fluid Changed
• Inspect for exhaust leaks
• Fuel Pump/Filter

Modifications Done:

• OBDII Scanner
• Roof Rack installed
• 2” lift kit installed -- OME Coils & KYB Shocks/Struts
• Smittybilt Overlander RTT

Modifications TBD:

• Add another cross bar for roof top tent
• Purchase set of KO2 tires
• Create spare tire raiser for new tire
• Custom built rock sliders
• Wench w/ custom stealth winch plate
• Double canon lights
• Rear mounted jerry can and high lift jack holder
• Remove all rear seats.
• Install custom lock box into 3rd row storage space
• Build modular bed system for back
• Build custom shower
• Install double battery set up
• Upgrade battery
• Mosquito nets for windows
• Snorkel system
• New, window mounted antenna
• Upgrade Stereo Headunit
• Build fold out kitchen setup for rear hatch

The day we got her:
20170505_094100.jpg

Last edited:

jaccox23

Adventurer
What parts of TN? Sorry for not being more productive to the thread just curious since Montero owners are rare birds in this state

arb098

Adventurer
What parts of TN? Sorry for not being more productive to the thread just curious since Montero owners are rare birds in this state

Haha it's fine! I'm down in the Chattanooga, but I travel all over East TN. I've actually seen several Monteros in Chattanooga, but pretty much no where else in TN. Where abouts are you?

jaccox23

Adventurer
I'm about 35 miles west of Nashvegas in Dickson, TN. I mean I see gen 3's all the time but i wouldn't consider most of them Owners since it's literally soccer mom vehicles being driven into the ground until it doesn't start or move anymore lol. Funny I actually spent the weekend in Chatt for an impromptu mini vacation with the girlfriend this past weekend. I've told her several times that Chatt is literally the only other part of the state I'd move to and that when she finally finishes school she should have an open mind about looking there for work too lol. I could pretty easily find a job somewhere around those parts doing what I'm doing here.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Your paper cone speakers will be shot, so figure to replace those also. Preventatively speaking, you might want to replace your exhaust headers and cam sensor and egr valve. Also, fuel pump, and fuel filter.

I'd recommend replacing all the interior dash lights, because they will start failing soon.

No need for custom sliders, inexpensive and effective sliders are available. I'd suggest an ARB style metal front bumper for a trip such as what you describe, though I am ambivalent about the need for a winch. In my experience, the winch is always for the other guy, hardly ever for your own recovery.

Don't forget to flush your brake fluid, and possibly even replace the brake lines at each wheel.

arb098

Adventurer
Your paper cone speakers will be shot, so figure to replace those also. Preventatively speaking, you might want to replace your exhaust headers and cam sensor and egr valve. Also, fuel pump, and fuel filter.

I'd recommend replacing all the interior dash lights, because they will start failing soon.

No need for custom sliders, inexpensive and effective sliders are available. I'd suggest an ARB style metal front bumper for a trip such as what you describe, though I am ambivalent about the need for a winch. In my experience, the winch is always for the other guy, hardly ever for your own recovery.

Don't forget to flush your brake fluid, and possibly even replace the brake lines at each wheel.

Good point on the fuel pump and filter. I'd forgotten about those. As far as the brakes go, I've read conflicting things about the HBB on these. Are they prone to failure in the '03 and up models?

arb098

Adventurer
I'm about 35 miles west of Nashvegas in Dickson, TN. I mean I see gen 3's all the time but i wouldn't consider most of them Owners since it's literally soccer mom vehicles being driven into the ground until it doesn't start or move anymore lol. Funny I actually spent the weekend in Chatt for an impromptu mini vacation with the girlfriend this past weekend. I've told her several times that Chatt is literally the only other part of the state I'd move to and that when she finally finishes school she should have an open mind about looking there for work too lol. I could pretty easily find a job somewhere around those parts doing what I'm doing here.

Chattanooga is honestly the only place I could live in TN. I grew up in the middle of no where, so it's just big enough to be different without being massive, but still mashed into the mountains. When you like the outdoors, it's one of the best places to be. What all did you do while you were in town?

jaccox23

Adventurer
We hit the touristy stuff like rock city, ruby falls and the aquarium then wandered around downtown for a bit on Sunday. It's was too last minute to plan any hikes or kayaking type things, so we just loaded up the girlfriends rouge and crashed at a hotel. I would have loved to camp and spend the afternoon hiking and stuff but we threw it together last minute and just decided to relax and blow our money on the common people sights lol

evomaki

Observer
Looks like you got a really nice vehicle there and a super price. A true find. I'm sure your uncle knows this but my advice is trust nothing done by the previous owner, or mechanics chosen by the previous owner. These are generally solid vehicles, but with little quirks and foibles, what vehicle doesn't? But the biggest two issues are neglect by previous owners and super shoddy work by mechanics, when owners tried to do the right thing. I've bought Monty's before with service records (mind you not dealer), where upon digging in the work was never done by the mechanic, done with sub-standard parts, bolts missing, brackets missing. I even found a timing cover bolt sitting in the ledge in the casting by the timing gear crank sprocket, inside the cover! Like haphazardly left there by a mechanic when putting on the lower timing belt cover. "Now where did that bolt go.....Oh well, there are three others." One wrong bump and that fastener would have been eaten by the timing belt at great damage. Bought a gen 3 from an older woman who had the timing belt replaced. Mechanics never replaced anything. How the ******* do some people out there hold up a shingle as a mechanic and do such crap work. When someone tells me the timing belt was already done.....Well it's getting done twice then. Because I will do it right.

Your ride need to be as good as new, or better in all the mission critical areas. Prove to yourself that timing assembly was done right with a new factory tensioner and all new pulleys. Do a compression reading to prove to yourself you have a good motor before you put a lot of time into it. I'm sure it is good, as these engines are pretty robust, but I always have got to know. Looks like you have been around this board long enough to know the people out there who's advice is golden. Do what those dudes say. The Gitout fellas did a very cool Gen 3 build, but their ride was a spare no expense affair. You can get a well sorted vehicle for much much less. All the big stuff needs a going over from wheel bearings to the cooling system. Trust the ADD guys. If they sell it, and it fits a Monty, I'm buying. Good luck.

arb098

Adventurer
Nice looking Montero. What snorkel you looking to run.

It's hard for me to see the point in shelling out the cash for an ARB snorkel, so I'll most likely go with one of the cheaper Ebay knockoffs that I've seen a few of the guys on here run.

arb098

Adventurer
Update: the rear shocks/struts are dead. She's slowly been sinking lower in the rear, but she's definitely squatting now. So, upgrade time. I've seen where several people are running KYB and Bilstens. Which models are y'all running on the GEN 3s? Also, has anyone run Ranchos on these? We'll be building a full sleeping platform in the back plus hauling all of our luggage. I want to try And stay on the cheaper side with shocks for now so that we can go ahead and get the ADD springs.

Opinions?

arb098

Adventurer
It's a big day! I finally ordered my OME springs and KYB shocks/struts. They should be in sometime in the next two weeks. I also ordered 6 quarts of AT Fluid from Rockauto for a ridiculous price. They've got it on sale right now for $4.35 a quart, so if anyone needs some, jump on that deal now.

While I'm sitting here at my desk job ordering new parts, my uncle and his crew, the guys fabricating everything for my trip, are setting up for the Baja 1000 this week. They'll be working with the BFGoodrich team in Pit 5, I think. To say I'm jealous would be an understatement.

arb098

Adventurer
Little update:

On the way home from work, the Montero started bucking bad. I got a CE light and my both traction control lights came on. I limped it home and ran the codes to find a misfire on Cylinder 6. I'm assuming this has something to do with the original plugs, wires, and coils that it's still rocking. I'll be calling the dealer in the morning to check on part cost. For this thing, I'd assume going OME is the best route longevity wise, even if it cost more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles