Project: Outlaw III

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Little update:

On the way home from work, the Montero started bucking bad. I got a CE light and my both traction control lights came on. I limped it home and ran the codes to find a misfire on Cylinder 6. I'm assuming this has something to do with the original plugs, wires, and coils that it's still rocking. I'll be calling the dealer in the morning to check on part cost. For this thing, I'd assume going OME is the best route longevity wise, even if it cost more.

Yes, I'd definitely go with the dealer parts on that job. I believe the plugs are iridium and good for 100k.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
How's the trip prep coming along? Did you ever figure out your cylinder 6 misfire issue?

When's the Argentina trip scheduled to go down? If you're still in country at the end of April maybe think about attending the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally in East Tennessee. My family and I will be there teaching and having a good time, and it'd be good to meet a few East Coast Montero guys. You can find more info on the East Tennessee Overlanders Facebook page (really good group as far as FB groups go).

arb098

Adventurer
How's the trip prep coming along? Did you ever figure out your cylinder 6 misfire issue?

When's the Argentina trip scheduled to go down? If you're still in country at the end of April maybe think about attending the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally in East Tennessee. My family and I will be there teaching and having a good time, and it'd be good to meet a few East Coast Montero guys. You can find more info on the East Tennessee Overlanders Facebook page (really good group as far as FB groups go).

Funny enough, we just got him back from the shop today! Valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, fluid flush, and he's good to go. Our trip got pushed back due to work, so we'll be leaving out around May of 2019. It sucks, but it'll give us even more time to prep.

I've never heard of that event before, and it's in my fiance's home town. It looks pretty fun, so I guess we'll see you there.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Good news. Glad to hear they ironed out the gremlins.

The S.M.O.R. looks like fun, and the guys putting it on are really great guys. Hope to see you there. It's a rare day to run into a Montero adventurer in my neck of the woods.

arb098

Adventurer
Good news. Glad to hear they ironed out the gremlins.

The S.M.O.R. looks like fun, and the guys putting it on are really great guys. Hope to see you there. It's a rare day to run into a Montero adventurer in my neck of the woods.

Tell me about it. I've seen just a hand full of Montero's down here, but they were mostly Gen 3 grocery getters. Ironically, the shop that did the work had a beautiful Gen 1 sitting in the parking lot. Turns out the guy who owns it has several Monteros. I gave them a card to give to him, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I forgot to mention the Gear Appreciation Festival...bad name for what's basically an overlander flea market / campout event held on the weekend of March 9-11 in Jefferson City, TN. It might be a great place for you to score some really good deals on some gear or parts for you big trip or maybe just some fun weekend trips in the meantime.

We're working out a few details with that weekend but would like to attend. The owner of the farm has a heated shop that he's offered us the use of for some wrenching projects on the Montero (suspension bits), so we might show up a day or two early to take advantage.

arb098

Adventurer
Since we got the missfire issue fixed, I decided to be productive and do a little work on Monty. I took him up to Man Cave Designs' shop, and Rob and I installed the OME lift kit. Since this was originally a northern truck, I was a little worried about how hard it was going to be to break the bolts loose. Wound up being fairly easy. The lift kit was much needed, as the rear end was practically dragging. When we got around to the rear-drive side, we finally found the source of my weird tire wear and squeek. The coil spring had snapped and slid about 3/4 of the way off the control arm. I'm honestly surprised that it stoped where it did. You can see in the picture just how badly the rear was sagging and where the coil was snapped.

Today, I ordered a cheap awning for the side and another to go over the rear door. Next up, I'll be ordering a set of BFG KO2s. I'm still not sure if I want to go with 285/75 or 265/75. Opinions?

Getting the front done:

20180203_103224.jpg

With the front finished:
20180203_142021.jpg

All of them finished. It's on an incline, though, so it doesn't look as high as it is. I'll get a flat surface picture later.
20180203_161306.jpg

The snapped coil:
20180203_174359.jpg
20180203_174403.jpg

Attachments

• 20180203_174403.jpg
    20180203_174403.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 42

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Did you order one of those cheap awnings from Walmart that had all the Facebook groups abuzz yesterday? A six foot awning for $13...crazy.

As far as tire size goes, I currently have 265s with no complaint (but also no lift). I think the 265s look small in the wheel well after a lift, and plan to move up to 285s once I put one on.

arb098

Adventurer
Did you order one of those cheap awnings from Walmart that had all the Facebook groups abuzz yesterday? A six foot awning for $13...crazy.

As far as tire size goes, I currently have 265s with no complaint (but also no lift). I think the 265s look small in the wheel well after a lift, and plan to move up to 285s once I put one on.

Yep, I ordered mine right before they sold out. However, I got an email this morning saying that all of their products were "damaged" and that they'd have to refund me.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I think a lot of people are going to be getting that email. They must have missed a zero or something when that guy put it up on their website.

arb098

Adventurer
I think a lot of people are going to be getting that email. They must have missed a zero or something when that guy put it up on their website.

Yeah, it was definitely a sketchy listing, but for $13, the frame alone was worth the risk.

arb098

Adventurer
Well, the awning deal fell through, like it did for I think everyone. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

But I did pick up a used Smittybilt Overlander from a member on the forum. Unfortunately, my fiance had the Montero out of town on the day that I was supposed to go and pick it up, so for now, it's sitting on top of our Outback. I can not wait until we have sometime off together to break this thing in.

IMG_20180211_202849_254.jpg
IMG_20180217_150235_371.jpg

arb098

Adventurer
Little update:

Weather's finally getting nice, so we took it out for a day trip yesterday and followed the river around. The new suspension is 1000 times better than the old, broken coil spring. Even on some really rough, pitted, gravel roads, she road like a champ. We pulled right up to the river and had a nice little picnic when I decided to do an obligatory "flex" picture.

We did run into 1 issue, though. As we were sitting there, getting ready to leave, I noticed that the temperature was climbing. It got up to about 230 when I shut it down. I'm not sure why it randomly overheated, considering the fluid was changed when we did the timing belt a few months ago. I let it set for a few minutes and started it back up. It was still sitting around 225, but I decided to get moving and see if the airflow cooled it off. Sure enough, not even 5 seconds after pulling onto the road, it dropped back down to normal temps. Anybody else have this happen? I thought maybe the gauge was acting up, but I confirmed the temps on TORQ.

IMG_20180402_195914_111.jpg

I think it's about time for some new tires!
IMG_20180402_200746_382.jpg

Monty85

Observer
I like your ride and pictures:)
Hope you get to install awning soon

For the heating issue, i would guess few causes
-is your coolant system bled properly ? Could be some air pocket stuck around sensor ?
-could be stuck thermostat? Did you replace it while doing timing belt?
-faulty sensor ? (I suppose this is least likely.)

arb098

Adventurer
I like your ride and pictures:)
Hope you get to install awning soon

For the heating issue, i would guess few causes
-is your coolant system bled properly ? Could be some air pocket stuck around sensor ?
-could be stuck thermostat? Did you replace it while doing timing belt?
-faulty sensor ? (I suppose this is least likely.)

The thermostat was replaced when we did the timing belt, but I'm not sure whether it was properly bled. I was just reading another build with a similar issue and I'm thinking there might be an air bubble in it. I'm going to try to "burp" the system later today. If I'm correct, the bleeder screw is near the thermostat housing, right?

I missed out on the awing deal, unfortunately, but I did score a really nice Smittybilt RTT that is finally getting put on this weekend! I'm also getting a new pair of shoes for him some time next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke