New Cummins R2.8 into a Defender?

psykokid

Explorer
Pretty sure the Cummins is 50-state legal.

(crap....I missed page 2 where this was already explained several times)

lastweek.jpg

;)

Gimebakmybulits

Rovers are heavy duty so not sure if we will be getting the same love. .

When you get a chance would you mind clarifying this? In California "Medium Duty Vehicles" go up to 14,000 GVW. I'm pretty sure all vehicles less than 8,500 lbs are subject to the same exhaust emission standards as passenger cars.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
When you get a chance would you mind clarifying this? In California "Medium Duty Vehicles" go up to 14,000 GVW. I'm pretty sure all vehicles less than 8,500 lbs are subject to the same exhaust emission standards as passenger cars.

Yeah but what if you have a Heavy Duty Terra Firma lift kit on your $500 Discovery? It must be HD then...

spikemd

Explorer

True. My lawyer quoted me some numbers and statutes, but can't remember the specifics. They purposely made the D90 6001 lbs GVWR for some regulatory reason.

I just got a great deal on a 300tdi drivetrain so I won't be buying the Cummins. Bummed, but also excited to start my build.

DeveDanders

Hey Guys - Just reading up on some of the various forum posts on the web and saw this one that mentions "50 state CARB approval" a few times. I wanted to set the record straight that we (Cummins) have submitted the data needed to obtain an EO but have not received an EO yet and no guarantee on if and when that will happen. It's been almost a year since submission and it has not been rejected and those are the only two facts I can share. So before you buy, please make sure you understand your local laws!

Here's the verbiage on our site that speaks to emissions and you can use for those conversations:
The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel (PN 5467036) has demonstrated through the testing procedures prescribed in 40 CFR Part 86 to meet EPA's Tier 0 (LDT 1 and 2) and Tier 1 emissions standards (LDT 2 weighing less than 4000 lb complete weight). This means that the R2.8 generally is suitable for Model Year 1999 or earlier light duty trucks. However, the suitability of the R2.8 engine to any vehicle is the responsibility of the installer and may depend on state or area laws. Installation of this part in a vehicle for which it is not intended may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations related to motor vehicle emissions. Check your state and local emissions requirements before purchasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles