New Cummins R2.8 into a Defender?

turnerc7

Greetings All,

With the announcement of Cummins new R2.8 liter diesel crate motor, I have been wondering about swapping one into a Defender.

Is anyone doing this swap? Are there reasons why it cannot work?

Cheers

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
There is a full section on NAS-ROW for this exact conversion. Orders have been placed, so I'm sure builds will be commencing soon.

spikemd

Explorer
Thanks for the link. I am most likely purchasing the Cummins this week for install in my Series IV Santana. The shop that will be doing most of the install is in Sacramento, CA. He needs to finish up an LS swap first.

Trying to determine which tranny and adapter plate to TC.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Awesome, I'll follow along if you have a thread.

I'm seriously considering this for my Range Rover, all I'd need to do is build some motor mounts and connect it to the 700R4. There is a company out there building adapters already. With adapters I'm willing to bet its going to be a $10K swap in parts alone. Not to mention labor.

Bobzdar

Observer
I'd love to do this on my s3, but the crate motor almost costs what I paid for the whole truck...Maybe if/when the 2.25 dies.

keeper1616

Observer
Thanks for the link. I am most likely purchasing the Cummins this week for install in my Series IV Santana. The shop that will be doing most of the install is in Sacramento, CA. He needs to finish up an LS swap first.

What does CARB have to say about that? I was under the impression that swaps like this were strictly verboten?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
What does CARB have to say about that? I was under the impression that swaps like this were strictly verboten?

Yeah like he said, CARB (50 state) approved was the idea behind the 2.8. Otherwise you can do swaps but need the OK from a CARB referee.

spikemd

Explorer
CARB approved for swaps into jeep or medium duty vehicles. Rovers are heavy duty so not sure if we will be getting the same love. I have a lawyer working on the details and will be talking to Steve at Cummins for specifics. But i am in the process of getting my truck registered out of state since CA screwed me over.

zelatore

Explorer
Pretty sure the Cummins is 50-state legal.

(crap....I missed page 2 where this was already explained several times)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke