Creating a Level Surface for Roof Vent Fan Between Ribs in Van Roof

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I may be too late but... A number of years ago my oldest boy wanted to buy a product that was INSANELY priced. What it turned out to be was a nylon insert that he needed, he researched it and found that he could go to a dollar store and get a nylon cutting board and trim it down. Looks like that would work for you as well, get a thin nylon sheet and cut it to the size you need, then put your tape/ caulking on it before you screw it down. Will stop it from bending and you will need less tape/caulking.

86scotty

Cynic
Butyl tape will work and Hein's solutions are slick but I usually build up the ridges with fiberglass. Bonds well, easy to form and shape. Then butyl, then flange and done.

On the tops I have sprayed with Raptor Liner or the like I tape off an inch or so around the vent/hole as to get a better bond without going over it. Scraping it off would work too. More here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...to-properly-void-your-smb-warranty-17265.html

Last edited:

zerskier

Observer
when I put the vent on my little transit connect I had Hein make me one of his adapters. Made install on the roofs deep ribs nice and easy. I used window weld to attach the adapter and butyl between adapter and vent

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_2858-L.jpg

IMG_2868-L.jpg

IMG_2878-L.jpg

IMG_2879-L.jpg

IMG_2882-L.jpg

i used Hein's adapter for my 2016 transit connect, and its not only a work of cnc'd art, it makes the install dead simple, dead flat, and very easy to seal.

used window weld between the van roof and adapter, and black butyl between the adapter and the fan flange.

bgstash

The gap and roof curvature isn't too large that butyl tape would not work. Just use two or three layers in those areas with more gap. Looks like there is a roof coating that you might want to prep first. We can make an adapter but wouldn't have that ready for you until sometime later next week. We will go ahead with adding the product for future customers. We've produced these for placing vents on curved fiberglass caps as well.

What year is your van?

All the best,
Hein

Hi, I checked your ebay page and did no see a Chevy Express adapter. Is this something you ended up creating? Thanks!

86scotty

Cynic
Hein is the man, however butyl tape works fine, especially on a shallow one like that. I've done several. I've also built up the area flat with fiberglass but that was on fiberglass ribbed roofs (Sportsmobile and similar tops). I've never gone back and tightened up a screw.

Get a tube of RV lap sealant and drench it after you install. Cover the screws, the corners, everything. YOu'll never have to touch it again. There's a reason every RV in the world is gooped thickly with lap sealant all around everything on the roof. Cheap and effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke