Gen 3 trans skid install

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Made a little skid plate to protect my transmission pan, i figured since i protected the front diff and axle disconnect i should protect the other vitals as well.
Just had to line up the new plate with the factory front holes to mark the locations for the rears. Carefully drilling so as not to go too far and gouge the pan I'm trying to protect. Went great!

171004_073202_98.jpeg
171004_073203_99.jpeg

Toasty

Working on a hardware upgrade, either machining my own protective washers or more likely switching all skidplate hardware to button head cap bolts. Originally i was going to counter sink everything but aside from that making the skid plates more expensive tapered metric fasteners are nearly impossible to get in the correct thread pitch for the Montero.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Button heads are great but they end up using a smaller hex key size vs a conventional socket head which makes them a bugger to get out if they seize or get bent. When I was thinking about building my own skid plate (before ADD carried them) I was leaning towards affixing a thin sheet of UHMW or similar to provide some bolt head relief or pressing a dimple into the steel sheet to recess the bolt head. The rock domes look nice though, and replaceable is always a perk. It's always a trade off between cost and awesomeness.

Toasty

5RYD7_AS01

I'm going to run these on my personal rig to see how they do here with the rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz