Breaking the Law in California

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about it. Drove for years with Rotopax on my truck without the special filler neck. I wasted more gas with spilling with those damn things before I switched them out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

DrSaabaru

The CARB rules limit the kinds of cans that can be sold, but don't say anything about what an individual can own or use. You're not breaking any air pollution laws. There may be motor vehicle laws requiring use of DOT approved containers, but that's not specific to California.

brentbba

Explorer
I've got two old non-CARB compliant jerry cans I drive with on every offroad trip in plain site in a jerry can holder hung from a rear bumper ladder. Never been stopped. Don't worry about it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The CARB rules limit the kinds of cans that can be sold, but don't say anything about what an individual can own or use. You're not breaking any air pollution laws. There may be motor vehicle laws requiring use of DOT approved containers, but that's not specific to California.

Yeah this. In effect, all your cans are "grandfathered". Unless you setup a retail business selling cans and then openly violate the rules with respect to spouts, etc., you're in no danger.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nope not going to stop you. But tint your front side windows and put a pot sticker on the bumper you'll get stopped.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
You'll be fine. I live in Cali, use non-CARB compliant cans since they leak less, had them exposed on my Rangie, never ever had an issue. Even the one time I got pulled over for something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier