considering doing a 4wd conversion on my Roadtrek

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Been a van camper guy for 30 plus years.
Recently sold my Sportsmobile pop top with Quigley 4wd.
As a senior citizen, didn't want the pop top anymore, and wanted something a little bit more than just a weekend camping vehicle.

My replacement is a 03 chevy 3500 van with the 6.0 engine. Roadtrek 190.
It is basically a low rider, and at times, I can't even open the door without hitting the curb.
At the bare minimum, it needs a lift, but i will probably just have the conversion done.

I have seen a couple of them converted on this site.

I was happy with the Quigley, but can't see myself shipping the vehicle to the East Coast to have the work done.
Advanced in Utah, and Boulder Off Road are a couple of names that have come up in my search
Not gonna do any rock crawling, just want to raise it and have 4WD.

The question I have is related to how many miles vehicle has. 80K. Tranny was replaced right before I bought it, and the engine seems pretty strong.

Anyone know about doing a conversion on a vehicle with this many miles on it?

Any and all constructive advice appreciated.

Thanks

Len.Barron

Observer
Some good info in this thread if you want to stay with OEM style IFS 4wd: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../442522-2500-3500-van-ifs-4wd-conversion.html
There are a couple of us doing solid axle swaps using 1 ton Ram and Super Duty front axles
I don't think Quigley accepts conversion work on older vans anymore anyways...you may have some luck with Advanced Utah, they do similar IFS conversions and may accept older vans. 80k is nothing for a 6.0/4l80e combo, they are super reliable and routinely go 250k miles..
There's an outfit here in San Diego that does high quality coilover lifts, both 2 and 4wd. https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/coil-over-conversion-suspension-lift-kit/ they have a much lower cost spindle lift as well..

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
i have had bad luck with oil pump failures on the early 6.0 3 out of 3 bi-fuel trucks that I had. The Newer GM vans seem to handle better then the ford vans. I have not seen many GM 4x4 vans. I have always wondered if the awd from a 2500 could be moved to a 3500. If I remember correctly all of my awd GM vans have been 8 lug.

Thanks

Choff

Adventurer
You might what to try different size wheels and tires, I have an AWD GMC Savana 2005 full conversion van with a all the plastic front bumper, sides and rear bumper, I was always hitting parking concrete stops and had to repair the front bumper 3 times.
I went from 16 inch Chrome rims to 17 inch Stock GMC Denali Aluminum Rims with Goodyear Tripple tread tires.
I lifted the van 1 inch or more and now no hitting parking concrete bup stops!!!
Speedometer is off now , but check with GPS for most driving

Also I am running with air bags in the rear-love it for the ride !!

also most AWD Vans are 1500 with 6 lug rims, very rare to find a 2500 AWD van

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Zip, you can also check out my build thread. I have a 1999 Roadtrek 210V.

I placed an order for a 2WD spindle lift kit from Weldtec designs and should be receiving it within the month. The conversion will be done this winter.

You are lucky to have a newer model. It will give you more possibilities. I strongly suggest going for 4WD if you can. Also, wherever you decide to have it done, I strongly suggest going directly to the manufacturer. If I didn't have to work, I would definitely drive down to have it installed in San Diego. It would also be a great excuse to get away from the Montreal winter.

Please keep us posted!

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
You are lucky to have a newer model. It will give you more possibilities. I strongly suggest going for 4WD if you can. Also, wherever you decide to have it done, I strongly suggest going directly to the manufacturer. If I didn't have to work, I would definitely drive down to have it installed in San Diego. It would also be a great excuse to get away from the Montreal winter.

Matt........Drive down already and let us get silly!

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Thanks for the great info.

That Weldtec product looks like some good stuff, but 10K for a lift kit kinda has me scratching my head.
I think a 4wd conversion starts at about 12K.
More research needed.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
That Weldtec product looks like some good stuff, but 10K for a lift kit kinda has me scratching my head.
I think a 4wd conversion starts at about 12K.
More research needed.

I assume you are talking about this mentioned previously, https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/coil-over-conversion-suspension-lift-kit/
It is a little more than a lift kit but I agree, with a transfer case, front and rear driveshaft, front diff and axles, wheels and tires, etc. I think you will be well above $12k.
Besides then you have an "over capable" van.
I have thought about sending a message to Jeremy inquiring about a "street" DIY 4x4 kit for the GM van. I would like to convert a 2500/3500 to 4x4 with IRS front.
Keep the torsion bars. Run their dropped spindles, hubs, fox shocks, subframe
Not sure if 90% of us need King Coilovers with limit straps, etc.

Does the subframe work with the stock control arm setup? It's really the key to the GM 4x conversion I think.

Last edited:
There is a lot of stuff under these roadtreks that will likely have to be moved or altered to convert to 4x4. They typically use a different fuel tank and move it to a different location where say a propane tank, water tank, or holding tank could now be sitting. So the conversion will be more costlier than a standard conversion.

I'd want to make sure the frame has good coating on it to prevent rust. It would be costly to remove a class B body from the frame to have it coated. But if you go without the coating it will not hold it's value as well as other 4x4 vans and may lead to a premature life if you spend a lot of time on salty roads.

If it was me I'd sell and start over or buy an existing class b van with 4x4. But only after a few years trying to make the 2wd work with tires, a lift, rear lockers, and maybe front and rear winches. 90% of the time 4x4 will only get you a few feet farther and a foot deeper.

Choff

Adventurer
But only after a few years trying to make the 2wd work with tires, a lift, rear lockers, and maybe front and rear winches. 90% of the time 4x4 will only get you a few feet farther and a foot deeper.[/QUOTE]

I Second that- unless your going in lots of snow or offroad 4 wheeling.

Just like I said before , go to larger rims and tires and air bags or lift kit

Len.Barron

Observer
I would like to convert a 2500/3500 to 4x4 with IRS front.
Keep the torsion bars. Run their dropped spindles, hubs, fox shocks, subframe
Not sure if 90% of us need King Coilovers with limit straps, etc.

Does the subframe work with the stock control arm setup? It's really the key to the GM 4x conversion I think.
If you have a 2500 4x4 suburban donor you'd have most of what you need...still a lot of fabrication to do but you'd have the expensive hard parts..
I looked at going that route but found it to be no easier/better than going solid axle (since I have a bare chassis to work on), I may modify that point of view as I make progress on my swap..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz