Autohome Carbon Fiber Columbus

TE!

New member but long time lurker here. I have searched far and wide trying to get some real world feedback on the use of the Carbon Fiber Columbus by Autohome. Does anyone have any real world experience with one? It is almost double the cost of the fiberglass version, I understand the weight savings but is the shell actually any stronger? I do a fair bit of overloading under tree canopy and wanted something thats stronger than fiberglass but not having to go to an Alu Cab that weights 170+ lbs on my roof. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

captadv

Spectator
I spoke with a dealer at the NW Overland Rally and they try to talk people out of the carbon. In their words,: 1. No inventory, so you have to order and wait (may not be that way for you) 2. Fixing it is a pain. I lived on sailboats and can vouch that fiberglass repair is quite easy. 3. Holy cow the $$$ :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I've had a Carbon Fiber Columbus for about ten years now and I agree, they aren't for everyone. AutoHome makes you prove that are worthy to get one, I don't think the factory can make very many of them, and very few make it to the states. The previous post is correct, carbon fiber is quite different from fiberglass, but I don't think it is any more difficult to repair, you would be using epoxy resin. The tent is so strong I don't see the need to repair for anything short of a rollover. This tent was a special order from Land Rover Experience. They ordered 100 of them and AutoHome decided to offer them to the public after that.

It really is just a very light strong Columbus, the design is the same. Weight savings is about 20 pounds and to me, it really does make a difference. I can't tell any difference in gas mileage or handling. Years ago I used to have a lift so it was easy to get my old fiberglass Columbus on and off. These days I don't have a garage and to get it on or off I have to ask my wife or neighbor for help. If you take out the mattress before, the shell is quite light, seem like about 70 to 80 lbs so pretty easy to handle. The tent lives outdoors full-time and here in Oregon it really rains a lot and it has held up well. The downsides are the price and the color. Personally, I like the white gelcoat, it reflects heat better and is easier to take care of, darker color gelcoat fades so you have to wax about twice as often. I had a standard Columbus for ten years before and really liked that tent too. The difference isn't that big. I've taken off the labels so it is really stealthy and no one knows it is a roof tent. So, my advice is, if you need a roof tent and use one a lot, then it is worth it.

One thing to take into account is resale. I've had good luck with AutoHome tents. My first tent was a Maggiolina that I bought for $1200 back in the 90's, sold it for more. My first Columbus was about 2000 and bought it for around $1100 and sold it for $1200 years later, the next Columbus was about $1900 and sold it for $1600 to get the Carbon Fiber tent. I think I spent $3300 on it and could probably get $2500 so it will probably cost me less than $10 a month to own it, less opportunity cost.

Before I forget, one thing I have found is that buying a roof tent is not like buying a standard tent. It is more like buying a sleeping bag. Buy a tent that fits your needs and can handle the conditions you plan to go out in. We tend to buy things on the big size and a roof tent that is too big isn't necessarily a good thing. My first roof tent was a large expedition Maggiolina Adventure, a great tent but way too heavy at 170 pounds +. I didn't need or want the room. I bought it because it was only $300 more but a smaller Columbus was so much better for me. I didn't need the capabilities of the Maggiolina. - One caveat, I'm not totally impartial, I worked with the factory in Italy back in the 90's and would import them into the US on a very limited basis. They were a great company to work with back then.

TE!

I've had a Carbon Fiber Columbus for about ten years now and I agree, they aren't for everyone. AutoHome makes you prove that are worthy to get one, I don't think the factory can make very many of them, and very few make it to the states. The previous post is correct, carbon fiber is quite different from fiberglass, but I don't think it is any more difficult to repair, you would be using epoxy resin. The tent is so strong I don't see the need to repair for anything short of a rollover. This tent was a special order from Land Rover Experience. They ordered 100 of them and AutoHome decided to offer them to the public after that.

It really is just a very light strong Columbus, the design is the same. Weight savings is about 20 pounds and to me, it really does make a difference. I can't tell any difference in gas mileage or handling. Years ago I used to have a lift so it was easy to get my old fiberglass Columbus on and off. These days I don't have a garage and to get it on or off I have to ask my wife or neighbor for help. If you take out the mattress before, the shell is quite light, seem like about 70 to 80 lbs so pretty easy to handle. The tent lives outdoors full-time and here in Oregon it really rains a lot and it has held up well. The downsides are the price and the color. Personally, I like the white gelcoat, it reflects heat better and is easier to take care of, darker color gelcoat fades so you have to wax about twice as often. I had a standard Columbus for ten years before and really liked that tent too. The difference isn't that big. I've taken off the labels so it is really stealthy and no one knows it is a roof tent. So, my advice is, if you need a roof tent and use one a lot, then it is worth it.

One thing to take into account is resale. I've had good luck with AutoHome tents. My first tent was a Maggiolina that I bought for $1200 back in the 90's, sold it for more. My first Columbus was about 2000 and bought it for around $1100 and sold it for $1200 years later, the next Columbus was about $1900 and sold it for $1600 to get the Carbon Fiber tent. I think I spent $3300 on it and could probably get $2500 so it will probably cost me less than $10 a month to own it, less opportunity cost.

Before I forget, one thing I have found is that buying a roof tent is not like buying a standard tent. It is more like buying a sleeping bag. Buy a tent that fits your needs and can handle the conditions you plan to go out in. We tend to buy things on the big size and a roof tent that is too big isn't necessarily a good thing. My first roof tent was a large expedition Maggiolina Adventure, a great tent but way too heavy at 170 pounds +. I didn't need or want the room. I bought it because it was only $300 more but a smaller Columbus was so much better for me. I didn't need the capabilities of the Maggiolina. - One caveat, I'm not totally impartial, I worked with the factory in Italy back in the 90's and would import them into the US on a very limited basis. They were a great company to work with back then.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and go into detail about your experience with the tent. I am very familiar with carbon fiber from high end sports cars and understand its strong points and weaknesses. The weight savings is ok but I do like the fact that it is much stronger than its fiberglass counter part. Either way, I will post up pics of which one I decide to go with. Thanks again!

bwells4606

Hello Lemsteraak, I am wanting to clarify your comments, you mention that the weight really does make a difference. In your experience, is it in Vehicle handling mostly? And then later you mention “the difference isn’t that big”. I am assuming you mean dimensions and materials? I am really trying to justify the cost difference and am really keen to understand the weight impact. Your experience is extremely helpful, please elaborate further, thank you.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hello Lemsteraak, I am wanting to clarify your comments, you mention that the weight really does make a difference. In your experience, is it in Vehicle handling mostly? And then later you mention “the difference isn’t that big”. I am assuming you mean dimensions and materials? I am really trying to justify the cost difference and am really keen to understand the weight impact. Your experience is extremely helpful, please elaborate further, thank you.

Vehicle dynamics - a pet peeve of mine with roof top tent. I like carbon fiber for its weight and strength. You will get the same weight savings from going to a notch smaller tent too. Weight in general, and especially weight up high adversely affects how your vehicle handles. I justified the added cost of a carbon tent because I amortized the tent over 15 years and the fuel savings. I like to have the tent mounted full time as I don't have a lift or a big garage anymore.

I advise that you choose a roof top tent as you would a sleeping bag. Get one that fits you and the conditions you go out in, not the biggest one you can afford. The tent, like a good bag, will be with you a lifetime. I've downsized from a big off road truck to a small Volvo XC and use the same tent always ready to go. Doesn't affect handling or fuel mileage, OK maybe a little, but not much.

More to your point, the Columbus is designed more as a three season tent. Yes, it will be fine in cold but a Maggiolina for example has a lower roof so holds your warm air closer to you and feels much warmer (opinion). I'm here in the PNW where we measure rain in feet per year and temperate. So, the Columbus fits my style of camping and the conditions I go out in. Having one in carbon is a plus. Over 15 years, it pencils out to maybe $10 a month more.

bwells4606

Vehicle dynamics - a pet peeve of mine with roof top tent. I like carbon fiber for its weight and strength. You will get the same weight savings from going to a notch smaller tent too. Weight in general, and especially weight up high adversely affects how your vehicle handles. I justified the added cost of a carbon tent because I amortized the tent over 15 years and the fuel savings. I like to have the tent mounted full time as I don't have a lift or a big garage anymore.

I advise that you choose a roof top tent as you would a sleeping bag. Get one that fits you and the conditions you go out in, not the biggest one you can afford. The tent, like a good bag, will be with you a lifetime. I've downsized from a big off road truck to a small Volvo XC and use the same tent always ready to go. Doesn't affect handling or fuel mileage, OK maybe a little, but not much.

More to your point, the Columbus is designed more as a three season tent. Yes, it will be fine in cold but a Maggiolina for example has a lower roof so holds your warm air closer to you and feels much warmer (opinion). I'm here in the PNW where we measure rain in feet per year and temperate. So, the Columbus fits my style of camping and the conditions I go out in. Having one in carbon is a plus. Over 15 years, it pencils out to maybe $10 a month more.
thank you. I appreciate your response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles