FJ Cruiser or 4Runner?

MTGunner

MTGunner
Are the manual and auto trans AWD? I do not mind a manual or auto, but want to be able to have a 2wd for everyday.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
^ This. Good weather tech floor mats can alleviate issues in the passenger areas, but putting carpet in the back storage areas is just stupid. That area gets dirty and gunked up all the time in my 4runner (my shedding furball probably doesn't help). The FJ and the Xterra got it right by leaving the floor area in the rear bare and easy to clean.
The 4runner, Land Cruiser and sequoia all had / have a seperate carpet section for the rear, starts under the 2nd row seat. Easy to remove and put rubber flooring down if you wanted to do that. I pulled mine in about 10 minutes.

Arktikos

Explorer
Are the manual and auto trans AWD? I do not mind a manual or auto, but want to be able to have a 2wd for everyday.

I think the manual FJ is full time, while the Auto is part time. Why 2WD for every day? Probably doesn't make much difference these days, MPG wise.

I'm partial to wagons and have owned 1st through 3rd generation 4Runners. Hard to beat them for utilitarian function, dependability and durability.

That said, if it's just you and off roading is part of the plan, I'd at least check out an FJ. They appear as if they'd be more capable and fun in moderate off road situations.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
If you are a big guy, the FJ is very comfortable.

I'm 6'6" and just don't fit in 4Runners.

FJ is a great vehicle and extremely capable.

I really could never understand anyone complaining about blind spots. I just don't get it. Never had that problem. Might depend on your height?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

FJ is a great vehicle and extremely capable.

I really could never understand anyone complaining about blind spots. I just don't get it. Never had that problem. Might depend on your height?

I think it’s people who haven’t driven them for any amount of time

Arktikos

Explorer

FJ is a great vehicle and extremely capable...

That's important to me, and one of the reasons I sold my 2001 4runner this past summer. 1st and 2nd gens have more head room
for tall guys. They also look better and have more charm, even though they lose to 3rd gen in every performance category.

FJ has a lot of charisma too, although I think Toyota could have done a bit better job with the styling. Sure looks like they would
have less visibility to the rear than 4Runners, but then I've never driven one.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
full disclosure: I own an FJC and wheel the crap out of it. absolutely love it.

Here's why i bought an FJC over a 4R

Available with 6 speed- every car i own has been three pedal

Atrac is quite amazing. im a huge fan. pretty much standard on the FJC, not sure on the 4Rs

RR locker more easily available on the FJC.

Shorter wheelbase then the 4R

Fits larger guys, like me, better.

factory roof rack is useful to a point. better then 4R stock. your going to upgrade both at somepoint

IT HAS THREE WINDSHIELD WIPERS! HOW DO YOU BEAT THAT 4R?

And no offence, but in my town, 4R kinda screams, soccer mom/ski bum. Not that much better with the FJ but its at least less common.

Oh and i almost forgot...you cant diss on the suicide doors because as any FJC owner will tell you. I have a perfect little spot to pee on the side of the road and no one can see me. just open both doors and its your own little stall.

and they stopped making it. so that's cool. "collectible??" but the parts are basically the same as taco/4R

Cons:
small gas tank. i get like 12 MPG, which i am sure the 4R does too if your loaded like i am but i have what seems like a 200 mile range....always pumping gas.

you cant see anything out of it. you get used to it. you feel for the rocks, that's what the skid plates are for. :) you learn to back into any parking spot you can when given the opportunity. Reversing is a skill and the FJC forces you to get good at it.

it is the perfect size for you and your wife and one dog. if you utilize the roof rack properly. expect any more and it ain't happening. Kids- nope. and don't expect to sleep in it. i know people who do, but i don't because i am too tall. Solution: Roof top tent. The back seat is for the dog. its bigger then a 2dr wrangler, and a happy medium between the 2dr and the 4dr. BUT NOT A JK!

They are expensive. Resale is stoooopid. i am lucky i scored a certified used 2010 6MT back when they hadn't gone crazy and no one wanted the stick. the windshield is $600. Keep that in mind when buying used.

but in all seriousness there basically mechanical the same vehicle. Same limits with the IFS and capability. just different body panels. either one would be a good choice. your basically limited to 33 inch tires, 3 inch lift and skid plates with either platform. you can get 35's but you start to break things and there are fancy SAS's out there but thats a ton of money...and 33's and plates will do more then you think. Trust me. My bone stock FJ has done some pretty rough trails.

the FJC has quirks, but there isnt a single vehicle i would replace it with. Not even a 200 series at this point. Its a niche vehicle for sure but its perfect for what i want.

Drivetrains differ from MT to AT

6MT-40/60 split AWD 4HI- 50/50 LSD when you lock the center diff, 4lo -

the MT is also geared quite a bit lower.. better stock for crawling but if you go big you change that anyways, not sure if this is reason enough to get MT over AT for some people. no need to re-gear until you get 34+ inch tires. AT sometimes have strange shifting patterns on hill when on the highway. solution is to regear lower/trans cooler ( i would buy anyways) or run it in overdrive.

AT- 2hi, 4hi w/ 50/50 LSD, 4lo

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
AT- 2hi, 4hi w/ 50/50 LSD, 4lo
I don't believe that's correct. IIRC the AT-equipped FJC has the same kind of 2h/4h/4l transfer case as the Tacoma. To my knowledge there is no lockable center diff on the AT FJC, the only one that has a locking center diff is the MT version. Of course the FJC is more likely to have a rear locker, which only came on the Trail Edition (2009 model) in the 4th gen 4runner.
To me, that's a point in favor of the 4th gen 4runner. The 4th gen V6 4runner has multi-mode 4wd with a lockable center diff so you can run it in 2hi or 4hi on the highway (basically, full time 4wd when you want it, 2wd when you don't.)
They deleted this feature from the 5th gen 4runner and AFAIK the FJC never had it. With the FJC you either get full time 4wd (manual trans) or part time 4wd with no locking center diff (auto trans.)
The 4runner also has a bigger tank. I think the FJC is around 19 or 20 gallons, but on the 4th gen 4runner it's 23 gallons. Don't know about the 5th gen.
IMO the 3rd gen 4runner/1st gen Tacoma's biggest weakness is the tiny 18.5 gallon fuel tank.

chunko

Observer
Want to replace my 2000 Xterra and have been researching lots of vehicles. Been looking lately at 4Runners and Newer, 2007+, FJCruisers. Fuel mileage is a concern, like to get 17-20 mpg. For the 4Runner like to get a 2000 or newer 4x4 with lockers. Most of my driving is local and trips into the mountains here in NW Montana. Therefore want a good reliable off-road machine for everyday and other, hunting. I have seen the 6 speed manuals, FJ, and am somewhat interested in these. Although the 4Runners are sure nice too. Looking for input. Do not mind spending $12,000-$16,000 on a good well maintained 4x4 vehicle. Thanks for the help. MTG

I was looking for a 4Runner or Taco last year with similar criteria to yours except mine also had to be a daily driver and accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids (car seats) on a regular basis. I ended up getting a Lexus GX470 (essentially a Prado 120) for a few reasons. Here is how it hits your criteria:

Fuel mileage: I am getting about 15-17 mixed with 32" A/T tires right now. I can get 17-19 if I stay under 75 when doing only freeway driving.

4x4/Lockers: No lockers standard, but Full time AWD with the CDL was standard on the GX. ARB or Harrop E-Locker are available for aftermarket

Reliability: Same as 4runner

Drivetrain: Automatic Only but the 4.7 V8 was standard

Price: I keep telling everyone that I had to buy a Lexus because I couldn't afford a similarly equipped 4runner at a lower price. I won't even mention how insane the Tacoma prices are in California.

Well-maintained: I would say 99% of GX's never saw dirt with their first owner (the curb at Starbuck's, perhaps) and you will find that the majority are always dealer-serviced.

Also, leather being standard was a plus for me since it makes getting the kid's puke and food out of the seats easier. You will also notice that the aftermarket is growing steadily with quite a few armor, roof rack and other accessory options being offered now.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMAG3619.jpg

Last edited:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
the lexus is a good idea. again shares alot of parts with the 4R/FJC

IIRC you can find one with atrac and that button does wonders

i would just buy anything with that little button.

lexus might to cushy for the hunting type..which oh yeah the completely plastic and cloth interior of the FJC is nice for cleaning..i don't remember if someone mentioned that already.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
The honest-to-god truth is that if you buy any one of these 3 options (FJ Cruiser, 4th gen 4runner, GX) you're getting a very solid platform to build upon. They each have their distinct pro's and con's, but in the end you can't go wrong with any of these choices.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
its really going to come down to whats available in your local market when you buy.. i would pay more attention to getting a good solid start with lower mileage/better records/better features etc. then being set on the model.

of course its nice to see more people with built up FJC's on the road. i try to always wave at them but no one can see me in it!

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I was looking for a 4Runner or Taco last year with similar criteria to yours except mine also had to be a daily driver and accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids (car seats) on a regular basis. I ended up getting a Lexus GX470 (essentially a Prado 120) for a few reasons. Here is how it hits your criteria:

Fuel mileage: I am getting about 15-17 mixed with 32" A/T tires right now. I can get 17-19 if I stay under 75 when doing only freeway driving.

4x4/Lockers: No lockers standard, but Full time AWD with the CDL was standard on the GX. ARB or Harrop E-Locker are available for aftermarket

Reliability: Same as 4runner

Drivetrain: Automatic Only but the 4.7 V8 was standard

Price: I keep telling everyone that I had to buy a Lexus because I couldn't afford a similarly equipped 4runner at a lower price. I won't even mention how insane the Tacoma prices are in California.

Well-maintained: I would say 99% of GX's never saw dirt with their first owner (the curb at Starbuck's, perhaps) and you will find that the majority are always dealer-serviced.

Also, leather being standard was a plus for me since it makes getting the kid's puke and food out of the seats easier. You will also notice that the aftermarket is growing steadily with quite a few armor, roof rack and other accessory options being offered now.

View attachment 420770

View attachment 420771
I really like the Lexus option as well for all the above reasons. I am seeing more of these in the backcountry and the aftermarket is really starting to notice them as well. They can be built into some really cool and capable machines. And; as a plus, they are about the same price and a lot of the time less than a 4th gen 4Runner.
We had the Lexus high on our list but eventually settled on a low mileage 3rd gen 4Runner because it had a 5speed manual and it was oh so clean and half the price. But I still want the Lexus!

ulyist

I was looking at the same thing 3 years ago and here in Alberta the Lexus was cheaper then a comparable 4Runner. Also higher roofline for better head room and visibility. Now if only I didn’t smash it up last winter. I averaged 17.9 mpg over 50k miles, similar to a 4Runner or fjc I’d imaging. All three are solid vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94