FJ Cruiser or 4Runner?

NikonRon

Adventurer
Drove a FJ the first year that they came out, the visibility issue was the first thing I noticed. Off road it would be a killer but if your just doing campgrounds you can live with it. :) Ron

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’ll add the fj has horrible blind spots when wheeling

They are also blind spots on the road too.

Having had a fair bit of seat time in both, I'd pick a 4Runner 10 times out of ten. The FJ was a lmissed opportunity for Toyota. A 4Runner with rear locker, mild lift and 32-33" tires is all you need for 95% of situations one might encounter in the world of "overland" travel.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
They are also blind spots on the road too.

Having had a fair bit of seat time in both, I'd pick a 4Runner 10 times out of ten. The FJ was a lmissed opportunity for Toyota. A 4Runner with rear locker, mild lift and 32-33" tires is all you need for 95% of situations one might encounter in the world of "overland" travel.

95% of soccer moms agree. Not likely they will need their lockers overlanding to the mall. :safari-rig::safari-rig::safari-rig::safari-rig:

Fj wasnt a missed opportunity. It was a fluke. Every once in a while toyota makes something cool. It was a limited 7 year run vehicle with styling outside of most peoples comfort zone. Lets face it. Toyota is a multinational corp whos sole purpose is to make money. 95% 4rs dont have lockers because its an unused feature for 95% of their target market. They never will make any thing for the us market that cool ever again in my opinion. Short wheelbases have a tendency to flip and toyota has deep pockets so any chance they get to avoid sue happy americans im sure they try. Toyta doesnt care what offroaders/overlanders/crawlers want they want money. So they come out with bro/brah trd pro tundras to match your flatbill cap. Much safer bet. They look pretty cool with procomp lifts and rockstarr wheels.

The fj never was going to be a huge seller because its a niche vehicle. Someone(myself included) who bought an fj/4r already decided they were going to buy a toyota so they are just competing with themselves at that point.

Love it or hate it. The op should drive one. The blind spots are a personal preference thing. You dont really need to see the rocks to get over them :)

Fixed it for you:

A fj cruiser comes with rear locker, 33" tires and is all you need for 95% of situations one might encounter in the world of "overland" travel (if you can see out of it, and dont try to bring the kitchen sink):)

Arktikos

Explorer
Cons:
small gas tank. i get like 12 MPG, which i am sure the 4R does too if your loaded like i am but i have what seems like a 200 mile range....always pumping gas.

you cant see anything out of it. you get used to it. you feel for the rocks, that's what the skid plates are for. :) you learn to back into any parking spot you can when given the opportunity. Reversing is a skill and the FJC forces you to get good at it.

it is the perfect size for you and your wife and one dog. if you utilize the roof rack properly. expect any more and it ain't happening. Kids- nope. and don't expect to sleep in it. i know people who do, but i don't because i am too tall. Solution: Roof top tent. The back seat is for the dog. its bigger then a 2dr wrangler, and a happy medium between the 2dr and the 4dr. BUT NOT A JK!

They are expensive. Resale is stoooopid. i am lucky i scored a certified used 2010 6MT back when they hadn't gone crazy and no one wanted the stick. the windshield is $600. Keep that in mind when buying used.

Great post. Thanks for the info. Resale around here doesn't seem unreasonable, with 2007 less than 100K miles to be had for 15K or so. The rig that people really think they've got a gold mine with is the Taco. :rolleyes:

94toy22re

Observer
i traded a 2007 FJ Cruiser for a 2007 4runner Sport V8.

4runner Pros
Better Fuel Range
More usable room
better visibility
4.7 > 4.0
Same MPG around town but slightly better going 75+MPH
Better headlights

4runner Cons
No manual transfer case
Needs a 26gal fuel tank
A 6spd manual and a 4.7 would be awesome
Factory locker would be nice but can easily be added.

For the guys complaining about head room in the 4runner have you driven one without the sunroof?

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
IMO having owned and built both, it really depends on how much you plan on dumping into the build. If you are going to keep the vehicle mostly stock, I would pick the FJC for better off-road use. If you are going to build out a nice 4x4 Overland Rig, I would choose the 4Runner. You will have more room and better fuel mileage starting and ending your build. The FJC also has a much smaller fuel tank (which comes into play more than you think). To play devils advocate, I miss my FJC much more than I do my 4R. It was just that much more fun to drive in the dirt. Choose wisely.

Runt

Adventurer
I have owned both in AT...still have the 5th gen 4Runner trail edition with locker etc. Etc. 4runner is more comfortable. Off road they are almost a draw. Perhaps a minor advantage offroad to the FJ. 4runner is far superior for overland travel. More room and easier to get into the back as well as see out the back. The suicide doors on the FJ suck!

wsmc81

My daughter rolled my FJC which I had since new in 2009. Never an issue except I had to change the solenoid unit that engaged 4wd. Had 135k miles. Loved it.

Started shopping for a replacement FJC and was shocked at the prices they are getting for them in my area, Salt Lake City. Looked at 4R's, same. Then started to read more about the Lexus GX470. So the GX was likely 50% more when new and now comparable used ones are less then FJC's and 4R. Bought a GX with 125k miles with all records from Lexus dealership showing oil change EVERY 5k, every service in the book done including timing belt change. I would guess that most GX's have lived much easier lives than a FJC or 4R.

I miss my rear lockers that were on my FJ (GX has center diff locks) and liked the looks. Love the luxury of the GX, extra room and there is something about being out on a trail in a Lexus. And in the urban jungle having a lifted, big wheeled, expedition racked Lexus, just has a contrarian look that I like.

Either of the three are great, and have very similar bones i.e. basic frame, suspensions pieces, some drive train ... Depending upon local pricing the GX may be the more affordable in better maintained option. If FJ's weren't carrying a premium in my area I would of bought one and never looked back. I am very happy with my GX and it seems to be a better sized option for my overland build. Fuel mileage is not as good as the FJ, but not to far off it.

outback97

Adventurer
OP, I'm curious why a 2nd gen Xterra is not in the running. Any particular reasons since you owned the 1st gen for a while?

MTGunner

MTGunner
1st generation Xterra....

We spend our winters at our place in SW New Mexico that I will take my 1st generation Xterra down there to drive in the desert. It will remain there to replace an old Kia that is on its' last legs. Therefore I want an FJ or 4Runner for back country wheeling here in NW Montana. I have considered 2nd generation Xterra. But, a friend has one that has nothing but problems. He had to replace motor, only 68,000 miles, due to oil leaks, bad alive seals, worn oil rings, cats were plugged and more. So, the Toyotas have such a good rep, good motors, great resale value and more.
Backcountry wheeling here in NW MT can be VERY serious and not for the weak of heart in bad weather. Either the FJ or 4Runner will be rigged for hunting, backcountry expeditions, recovery and more.
I built a Geo Tracker, 2 door, and. Suzuki Sidekick for wheeling here. Each was rigged for hardcore hunting, wheeling, recovery and more. Problem with each was lack of power and room. One reason I bought the Xterra.
Now I want to move on to an FJ or 4runner. Each will be roomier than my Xterra and better running gear, power and I believe over all. Have been researching down in SW states for a good over all vehicle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles