FJ Cruiser or 4Runner?

MTGunner

MTGunner
Want to replace my 2000 Xterra and have been researching lots of vehicles. Been looking lately at 4Runners and Newer, 2007+, FJCruisers. Fuel mileage is a concern, like to get 17-20 mpg. For the 4Runner like to get a 2000 or newer 4x4 with lockers. Most of my driving is local and trips into the mountains here in NW Montana. Therefore want a good reliable off-road machine for everyday and other, hunting. I have seen the 6 speed manuals, FJ, and am somewhat interested in these. Although the 4Runners are sure nice too. Looking for input. Do not mind spending $12,000-$16,000 on a good well maintained 4x4 vehicle. Thanks for the help. MTG

I spent 6 months trying to decide this. IF you can get a sport edition v8, get a 4runner.

My friends appreciate it, my family appreciates it, my resale value appreciates it, AND MOST OF ALL, I have space for all my stuff.

4runner4.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
For that price range, you're looking at either a FJ Cruiser or a 4th gen 4runner. I faced a similar decision a year or two ago, though I ended up with a newer 5th gen 4runner.

FJ Cruiser: solid platform (based on LC Prado platform); great utilitarian interior (angle indicator, some had optional carpet deletes, back area is easier to clean); venerable 4.0l V6 gasoline (not going to get much better than 21 mpg hwy, but that engine is extremely reliable); I think the FJ has an easier time accommodating bigger tires; optional part-time 4wd vs AWD; locking diff is easier to find with the FJ. Main issues I have with the FJ are its smaller interior space, suicide doors, and the funny-looking design (though once you start modifying the FJ it does like ************ IMHO).

4th gen 4runner: also a solid platform (based on LC Prado platform); more comfortable interior; optional part-time 4wd or AWD; optional 4.0l v6 or 4.7l v8 (both are great engines, the v6 gets slightly better mpg's though the v8 has awesome torque). Main issues with the 4th gen 4runner: mediocre stock ground clearance (the 4th gen seems to sit and ride low) and its harder to find a version with a rear locking diff.

You could also consider a 5th gen 4runner (also based on the LC Prado) which offers both the utility of the FJ and optional comfort features normally associated with a Prado, however, you will be spending at least $23k or more (especially if you want a rear locking diff).

My basic takeaway is the FJ is more spartan and perhaps a bit more capable in stock form, whereas the 4runner is a bit more comfortable and has additional engine options though it might require a little bit of work to make it decent offroad.

JoeTRD

my cousin has a FJ. that thing is small. I wouldn't think it makes the best overland trip vehicle since it has limited cargo space.

I'd say 4runner is a better option. I seem to see more of them built for overlanding. FJs are more for trail use.
Can't speak for ownership on either one though as I have a taco lol.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If you want a manual I think the Fj's are fulltime 4wd with a manual if I remember correctly. FJC resale value is crazy, so used you are going to get more vehicle if you get a 4runner.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I never thought it was a big deal. Those round stick on mirrors on side mirrors help. Both vehicles are close really, the deal breaker would be 4 doors vs. 2 and carpet vs vinyl. I couldn't have carpet in a truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I found the 4runner had much better sight lines than the FJ. That and usable space in large part due to the 4dr set up

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
4 doors are more practical for sure. I know you can get a manual t case in the 4 runner, did they ever have rubber floors? If so if prefer it for sure.

89s rule

Adventurer
3rd gen 4Runner would be my choice but I'm slightly biased. I'm also cheap and they can be had for very little $ if you are patient. Would also give you spare $ for trips or savings.
Our '99 is at 282k+ miles and we didn't start having many repairs until the 250k range. Timing belt jobs, ball joints as preventative and brakes are about it.
76dd5c748597c53f1d8b91e09bad832a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'll add the fj has horrible blind spots when wheeling

This was my big surprise driving a friends FJ. At the time I had a 93J80 which had amazing sight lines. The FJ was shockingly the opposite. I liked my old 4runner way more after driving the FJ due to this. Id say thats the biggest bummer regarding the FJ its tight on space but you just pack less.

Dalko43

Explorer
I couldn't have carpet in a truck.

^ This. Good weather tech floor mats can alleviate issues in the passenger areas, but putting carpet in the back storage areas is just stupid. That area gets dirty and gunked up all the time in my 4runner (my shedding furball probably doesn't help). The FJ and the Xterra got it right by leaving the floor area in the rear bare and easy to clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier